Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

who hasnt crashed before?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 06:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who hasnt crashed before?

I had a nasty one on my Rubicon last year. We were riding the Clark Co. trails in Wisconsin. I was on my Rubicon and tangling with some youngster on a 400ex. I came up over a hill too hot and there was a hard left-hander at the bottom. I was probably doin' bout 50mph.

I thought I could make the turn, then thought I couldn't, then thought I could. Needless to say, a 600+lb machine with a 250lb rider does not exactly make for a nice quick turn. I grabbed the binders, all of them. As soon as the front wheels left the trail surface they dug in hard. The kid behind me on the EX said he had never seen a crash like that before. It went end over end three times. I was on it for the first rotation. It slammed me HARD to the ground. I felt like the hand of God himself had just slapped me.

I made it up to one knee, had the wind visciously knocked out of me. I couldn't focus for about 3 minutes. One eye was looking straight, the other somewhere completely different. I hurt everywhere. I got up to my feet and noticed I was having trouble moving my left arm. I had broken my collarbone. I was bleeding from my mouth. My right forearm had slammed into my mouth and loosened my whole lower row of teeth. They felt like piano keys for about a month.

The machine was able to be ridden, but barely. The front end was seriously tweeked. The front end looked like my eyes! LOL The most damage was to the rear. When it finally came to a stop it was upside down and backwards against a tree. I rode it another 8 miles out to the trailers. I had my Dad drive the truck/trailer until we got to his place. From there I disconnected the trailer and drove another 45 minutes to my home.

As soon as I walked in the door, mud from head to toe, and looking like hell, my wife took one look at me and said "you're goin' to the hospital." The woman is a saint. I didn't sleep for about the first week. The pain was incredible. I'm 42 years old and I'm not quite as limber as I used to be. I was eating Vicodin's like M&M's. I didn't miss any time off work. I went in and suffered LOL.

Everyone asked me if I had learned a lesson. I told them I had. The lesson I learned was that a Rubicon is NOT a sport machine. It was then I made my decision to let the Rubicon be my mud machine and snowplower and find a sport machine. I coulda made that turn if I was on a sport machine (laughing). I bought my V-Force early last spring and have not had any mishaps yet. I realize it's heavy for a "sport" machine, but it sure is fun!

Sorry to be so long-winded, but I just thought I'd convey my crash story. I'm not even going to get into all the spectacular crashes I've had on snowmobiles.

Bruce

Old 11-05-2003, 01:38 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who hasnt crashed before?

that is a hella of a crash man, if you missed work it may have been worth it but you got screwed [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] 3TV you sound like a serious sport quad rider, it's hard to ride hard and not wreck your quad at all. I caught the lip of a jump and had a painful indo, the whole quad landed on me, my handlebars looked like the hulk had just wrappe them around my front end and damaged some fenders but it was me who got messed up not the quad got a good 1ft long scar across my back now. Few messed up ribbes more scary than anything. I learned my lesson though, keep riding hard no matter what cause you gonna get hurt sometime or another.