Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Prairie front spring stiffeners

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003 | 10:14 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default Prairie front spring stiffeners

Getting ready for snow plowing, I remembered that the front of the Prairie sagged a bit when lifting the plow. I saw plastic spring stiffeners fron Royal Distributing Link . I have a few questions.

1. Has anyone used these?
2. Is there a US distributor or dealer?
3. Are they hard to put on?
4. Is there a better way to stiffen up the front.

I plow with the Prairie only about 10% of the total annual use, so I want something that is somewhat temporary or can be easilly removed. I am happy with the suspension for all non plowing use. Other options could be stiffer springs ( one time install). Suggestions? Ideas?

Thanks,

Bob

Old 10-30-2003 | 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

I have progressive springs, and they are adjustable. They would do exactly what you want for plowing, however most of us use them to improve handling. Best for both worlds.

That link you posted looks like snowmobile stuff.

Mike penland has the springs. HL probably does, search around you will find them everywhere.

Old 10-30-2003 | 02:23 PM
|
Trailblazer

There is something strange with their site. You have to go to that page that I linked to then to page 342. That is where the plastic stiffeners are.

Bob

Old 10-30-2003 | 03:02 PM
Range Rover

What about installing spacers under or over the springs? I have been considering making some out of tubing. Will this work? I'm sure it will lift up the front end a bit, but will it give me the better handling that I am looking for? Just an idea. We use them on Remote controlled cars to change the handling characteristics and ride height.
later

Old 10-30-2003 | 07:17 PM
Trailblazer

Hey bonza, So you plow with your prairie. I just got a 700 and put a winch on it. I want to use it to lift the plow. I noticed it sits lower than other models like polaris ect. How high does your plow lift off the ground?

Old 10-30-2003 | 08:55 PM
Trailblazer

I realy like my progressive front springs they are comfortable, they handle very good and the front of my 650 is about 1 inch higher
but they where quite dificult to install because to reach the front top plate you need to remove alot of things

Old 10-30-2003 | 11:28 PM
|
Trailblazer

JSepp,
I traded the 650 in for a 700. I have mounted the attachment plate and the winch, but I have not attached the plow yet. It was 30 last week and 70 here today (Illinois). Go figure.

The P650 would lift the blade about 8 inches. If the front springs did not compress, it would be about 10.

These numbers were a little less if I was not sitting on the machine.

It really works great. I have 589's on it and the best part is that you can plow snow much faster than the 5 mph garden tractor. Pushes just as much snow too.

Bob

Old 10-30-2003 | 11:59 PM
Trailblazer

bonza, did you use the winch to lift the plow? God that winch seems awful low

Old 10-31-2003 | 12:02 AM
Trailblazer

I forgot to ask what kind of plow or brand do you use?

Old 10-31-2003 | 07:05 AM
|
Trailblazer

I have a 60 inch Moose plow wiith the top rubber flap and end piece. It works great. My P650 had a Warn 2000 and the new P700 has the Warn 2.5. I really like the new remote switch that they came up with. I have it mounted on the left side near the choke lever. Better to have a roller fairlead instead of the stock cast iron one so the cable does not wear.

Bob

Quick Reply: Prairie front spring stiffeners