Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Scariest Ride You Have Had

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 02:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scariest Ride You Have Had

Since it is Halloween and all what has been the Scariest Ride you have had without getting hurt this should be worth a Hoooooooot!! What is your story??

Old 11-01-2003, 02:41 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Have you ever run up on a half dead woman who has been stomped by her horse, in the middle of nowhere 10 miles up a ridge in the middle of the night (on a night ride)(the luckiest woman on the planet)(Brown Mt, NC)???????????????

pretty freaky
the paramedics couldnt get to her (they were hiking in) (12 miles)
yep,,,,atv's and dirtbikes saved her life,,,thank god

Old 11-01-2003, 04:20 AM
Pro Rider

It has`nt happened yet. I think the scariest ride will be the ride with ALLTOYS!.
god willing, this summer!!!

Old 11-01-2003, 08:28 AM
Pro Rider

A few friends and I just started riding quads last spring and so far the scariest time was watching my buddie flip over backwards climbing a big hill. He's very stout and bearily got a scratch [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-01-2003, 09:32 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Well recently I was adjusting my tie rods and was in a hurry. I wound up getting the wheels straight but the bars were slightly turned...I thought no biggie I will just keep the bars turned slightly and will not slow the group down working on my atv. Everything is going great until I come down a looonnggg relivavely smooth downhill WFO in 4th gear at a high rate of speed. The problem comes in as a bump at the bottom of the downhill. The bump is about a foot and a half tall....I hit the bump and get a little air...my instinct is too straighten the bars, so I come down with the tires pointing the wrong way. I wind up half off the machine and about too head over the hill....I fought it right up too the edge and luckily got back on the machine and pointed straight. I stopped there too fix my tie rod problem..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. I have some other stories....but that one is the most recent.

Old 11-01-2003, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider

Where I live the are is really loamy, just a perfect mix of sand and gravel, always lots of traction in the corners, not to mention perfect berms on the outsides. This summer while I was riding where I grew up, the ground is mostly clay with a light layer of dirt on top. I went around a corner in an abandoned open pit mine, doing probably 60-70mph and when I started my slide it just kept going. This was one of the first rides after my shoulder healed, and I still remember looking at the trees coming towards me. I wasn't sure if I should go for a tree, or take my chances on going off the embankment. Luckily I got enough grab from the grass on the side of the road to straighten out again. Certainly slowed me down that day.

Old 11-01-2003, 01:06 PM
Pro Rider

Not a quad story but my scariest ride was in a 3 speed Pinto with a 351W. When it hooked up, the acceleration was like a street bike. The worst part was stopping, Pintos are not known for their brakes:-)

Old 11-01-2003, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

It wasn't me, but a guy with a new p650 wanted to try pulling one night we were praticeing. It was dry and dusty so because of all the dust no one rode the drag.

Some how the drag didn't get engaged so the weight would come up. The guy started pulling and just keep picking up speed. I flagged him from the start, meaning stop, but he didn't.

He was probably going 35, with a 10,000 lb drag following him out of gear. when he finally seem the flag, he put on the brakes, The drag bumped him, and pushed him ahead. He tried to stay ahead of it and get off to the side. the drag passed him and because he was on a 3 ft chain, it spun him around and was now hauling him backwards, beside the drag.

As luck would have it. with him draging along beside the drag, it started to turn, went across the pull lane and cut off a 4x4 post at ground level and went down a bank.

He wasn't hurt, but it rolled all 4 of his tires off the rims and bent his hitch.

If you could have seem the look in his eyes when he was being dragged, lol

I don't know who was more scared him or me. Lucky he hit the pole, that almost stopped him. If not I hate to think what could have happened.

our policy now is to double check to make sure the drag is in gear...lol

Old 11-02-2003, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider

You all have interesting storys, I always like to hear how people appreciate life especially when they come so close to losing it. Maybe this post should have been called Close Calls LOL. I think we all have had at least one or two instances where it could have gone the other way, we shrug it off, grin a little, breath a sye of relief. Nothing ventured nothing gained, so they say.

Here is a couple of things that happened to me one of the scary times I had, Scootdog had a great comeback truly priceless.

I was quadding in Northern Alberta near Slave Lake which is relatively an isolated northern community. I was out for a 4 day run by myself on an old Suzy 300 King quad, the fuse went on the lights on the last day so I could not make it back in the dark so I made a quick camp. I did not put up my tent it was a calm night I slept between the quad and the fire I had made. Early the next morning I left my cozy little space to answer the call of nature in a near by bush. On the way past my fire I noticed bear tracks not more than 3 feet away almost in a perfect circle around my impromptu camp. I pride myself in being a light sleeper all I know is I did not hear the movings of a Grizz not more than 20 feet away from my head. I then decided to hold my visit to the bushes until I could get down the trail a lot farther from where I was. I have always let someone know where I was going and when I should return this has some comfort that maybe your budds will come look for you if you do not show up. That is also the last time I will venture out alone, a quad can take you for a long distance and it will invariably break down the furthest point away from home. BE PREPAIRED!!

ON a lighter note. I was trying my blower combination, having a great time doing burn outs, doing WOT runs down the local dirt road. The scary part was when I really increased the boost on the blower. The torque produced from this tweaking was exciting. I lined up on the road to give her a good run even had the wife out there filming with the cam corder. I gave'er full throttle the back end came up so fast the quad had so much lift it pulled the shaft up so high on the rear shock it was fully extended, I was starting to lose control so let go of the throttle. The back pressure was strong enough to put more load on the front end then pushed backward on the shaft from the rear shock and collapsed. This put a great deal of load on the right side of the rear axle, the axle bent and the bend was more pronounced every time the axle made a 360* rotation. I had to grab the handle bars with the crook of my elbows and squeeze the seat area like a bull rider trying to last more than 8 seconds. Here is where SCOOTDOG came up with the expression " There must have been a star fish impression left on the seat where my butt was" LOL. Scootdog you do manage to come up with most interesting one liners. The worst thing was wifey was so taken by the events she dropped the camera came rushing over to see if I was still alive. Maybe it was a good thing she dropped the camera LOL. Oh yes the camera is OK!!!!

Scootdog,
We must go for a ride next year I know this remote area where the park rangers dump the uncontrollable, unafraide of people bears.........LOL. How fast cay you run LOL. If the big guy is willing it would be great to team up I bet a few other members would like to go as well!!!!

Old 11-02-2003, 01:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About 3 weeks ago, I went riding on some wooded land that is best known for its many mud holes. Because I was out there all alone that day with no one to help me in a jam, I kept all of my attention on the mud holes so as to make sure that I could make it through in 4x4 mode or with the use of my winch. After just a 15 minutes of riding through the heavily wooded trails, I drove head straight into a big spider web with a large banana spider crawling in it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] I may be a grown man, but I HATE spiders [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]...especially large, creepy spiders with long legs like banana spiders! My first response was to immediately dismount and fling off my helmet/goggles in order to find/remove the darn spider from my body! Unfortunately, I repeated that ritual 3 or 4 more times that day as I ran into several occupied spider webs hanging over the trails....I just kept thinking I HATE spiders!!!

....by far, the worst situation that day was when I rode down the main trail at 20 mph or so when I ran into another banana spider that happened to be hanging from his web at my eye level!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] You can guess what happened next....the large banana spider landed right on my goggles! It was sitting there on my goggles in front of my left eye![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] TALK ABOUT GIVING ME THE HEEBEE JEEBEES!!! Did I mention that I HATE spiders!! I have not been back to that place since and I never intend to!

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Scariest Ride You Have Had