Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Dalton Industries V-Force Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 10:20 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dalton Industries V-Force Clutch

I was looking at Dalton Industries weights and face plate for my V-Force. I was wondering if anybody was using these items, and what kind of performance they were gaining. The weights are more $ than EPI's, I was wondering if they were worth it?.

Old 11-02-2003, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

I have a set of V-force clutches on my Prairie with the face plate and DPK weights. The face plate is 50 grams less than the stock with more cooling and strength as well. But if you got more horses it can raise your top speed by 7 to 10 mph. The face plate is milled .040 around the bushing to allow the the sheave on the clutch to push up the belt higher in the clutch which in turn gives more top end. If it is just stock it may not work as well. The lighter face plate adds some higher rpms also.

The weights work great for bottom to mid range. They are 58 grams with 2 holes in each to allow the addition of extra weight. Yamaha clutch rivets are what you can use to add weight. The weights themselves have a different mass location than the stock ones which help grip the belt better.

My Prairie topped out at 68mph. with stock clutch and now tops out at 77mph. with Dalton plate, weights and blue spring. I can get more out of it if I can stop the shake in the front end. It shakes from 68mph. and up with it getting worst as you go faster. So it is alittle scary when you get above 75mph.

If you can get some extra horsepower the face plate works great, more mph. for $150 is pretty good when you look what it usually costs for more mph. I bought a Pro curcit exhaust for $425 which didn't work as well as the faceplate does!

Dale at Dalton is the man you can talk to. He has a V-force that he has modified and can tell you more if you have any question.

Old 11-02-2003, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

I have both ........ the EPI clutch kit(weights/pink spring) and the Dalton kit (plate/weights/spring).

Both are quicker than the stock set up .....

I can not tell a difference in performance in the first 300 to 400 feet or so between the EPI and Dalton.

I believe the Dalton setup will allow more top speed after 400 feet.

Old 11-02-2003, 05:02 PM
Trailblazer

Do you have two quads, or just two clutch kits. Thought you may want to part with one of those clutch kits[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-02-2003, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: dosthoff
Do you have two quads, or just two clutch kits. Thought you may want to part with one of those clutch kits[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
One quad now. Bought the EPI stuff first . Then heard about the overdrive clutch kit from Dalton. Bought the Dalton thinking I would put the EPI stuff in my P650. Then I sold the P650. So ... yes ... I would sell the EPI springs and weights.

Old 11-02-2003, 06:57 PM
Range Rover

Wildwill and Vforcer how hard is it to put in the Dalton kit, how long did it take you guys and do I need anyy special tools. I need to get an edge on my competiors, I race hare scrambles in an auto sport class aggainst other Vforces and heavily modded Polaris's and I can't seem to get that damn holeshot, though I have placed first two races ago.
What exactly does the kit include, new spring or springs, face plate, and weights? Do I need to order anything else?

Old 11-02-2003, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Kawy
Wildwill and Vforcer how hard is it to put in the Dalton kit, how long did it take you guys and do I need anyy special tools.

Pretty easy install. remove clutch cover ... remove center bolt ( left hand thread) , remove clutch plate, change weights, intall different spring when you install new cover. Less than a half hour total.

If you want to remove the clutch unit from the crank, you will need a puller bolt. The clutch companies sell these. I also bought the spring compressor for the rear clutch..... you could make that yourself.

Old 11-03-2003, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

You pretty much HAVE to remove the primary to change the weights. Unless you can grunt that belt off!. The sheaves won't close unless you get the belt out of the way. EPI sells pullers for about 35 bucks. I have a machines stock face plate (thanks Alltoys) and installed the 58 gram DPK weights from Dalton. Makes a HUGE difference with pipes and a HPD plain spring. I tried 2.77 gram weights in the outter holes. The bike was slower to reach the higher RPM but it did get there. I seemed to pull a little longer but I was not impressed by how long it took. I drilled out the 2.77 grams and put in the 0.6 grams. Runs better than just the plan DPK.

All in all the Dalton kit works very well but you should have all parts of the system to see the improvement the kit makes. Buy this I mean dual pipes and a dual forward facing set of air intakes along with a high flow airfilter and jet waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up!

oh, yeah one more thing HANG ON!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-03-2003, 02:45 PM
Trailblazer

I got Pro Circuit duals and a modded air box, I can keep up with piped Raptors, but the Predators and 450s are leaving me behind. I want to get the clutch tuned in to at least keep up with them. V-Forcer, how much for the EPI pink and the weights??

Old 11-03-2003, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider

Don't get the EPI pink spring if you have duals. I had the pink and switched it to the HPD plain. MUCH harder pulling and keeps pulling long after the pink has faltten out.

Quick Reply: Dalton Industries V-Force Clutch