Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

I have my doubts about v vs. yfz

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 09:34 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have my doubts about v vs. yfz

Beat one five for five in a 300-ft race, he was bone stock and only his second day ridding it. I was only able to get him by ˝” to 1 bike length. I think if both bikes are stock the YFZ 450 wins… however you do have to be a good power shifter.

RJ

Old 11-10-2003, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: green700
Originally posted by: KevinM
After the hurting I put on a piped Raptor, I can't imagine any 450cc quad being able to deal with a correctly tuned V-Force in a straight-line drag race.
It's 439 cc's actually, and it would be close. But I'd bet on the YFZ. It's got 12:1 compression and peak power at 10,500 RPMS. The Vforce has 9.9:1 compression and peak power at 6,500 RPMs. Based on those numbers and the 170lb weight diff, you have to take it seriously. The Raptor and YFZ are like a lion and cheetah. The little one runs faster.

I'm not talking stock, I'm talking about my V. I can't imagine a 450 that can pull a piped Raptor by 4-5 quadlengths.

Old 11-11-2003, 02:02 AM
Trailblazer

Kevin,

The YFZ is no joke--with a simple rotation of the cam one tooth, opened airbox, and a pipe it will destroy just about every bike on the market. Your V would own a stock YFZ, but it wouldn't be able to compete with a modded one. The simple mods I have listed bump the output to the 50 horse range AT THE REAR WHEELS. At 350 lbs, that is a tough combo to beat. I love my V to death, but I am not going to be seeking out any YFZs, even with a modded clutch.

Old 11-11-2003, 07:53 AM
Pro Rider

Hey KevinM,

It sounds like your entire opinion is based on one race. I would argue that one race means absolutely nothing in and of itself. Case in point: I raced a 400cc dirt bike and beat it on my V Force. Why? Becasue the dude on the dirt bike missed second and couldn't make it up in a short drag. The next race the hit second and destroyed me. I would suggest that you line your V up against a YFZ 450 with similar mods and you will be shocked at how fast they are.

Don't get me wrong. I love my V Force and when I rode a guys YFZ 450, it wasn't for me. I found it too small and had bad ergonomics for a guy my size. The shifter throw was too short and I didn't like the "torqueless" engine as compared to my torque monster V Force. But I will never minimize just how fast those little things are. Don't let the cc's fool you. That little thing revs quick and hard and puts the power to the ground very well......

Old 11-11-2003, 09:05 AM
Pro Rider

Its not 1 race, its more like 100 against many various quads. I don't gauge my V by the Raptor, I gauge it by the two modded Banshees that I ride with both of which can easily take the Raptor. The fact that I'm pulling both of them by 2-3 quadlengths pretty much tells me where I stand. I don't doubt that the 450 is fast, especially modded, but its made for the track not for a straight line plus the V has what is most definitely the best engine ever put in a quad and I know how to tune it and the clutch.

Old 11-11-2003, 10:06 AM
Trailblazer

Kevin,

A piped Banshee can't even come close to a piped YFZ in a straight line drag, and a Raptor just looks like a joke against the 'lil 450. I had a damn trick Banshee prior to this KFX, and it would barely run even with a piped YFZ. I will disagree on the 700 being the best motor, it is a great motor but no where near the technology that Yamaha placed in the YFZ. I tried out the YFZ, and I didn't like the bike myself. I am 6'2" tall and weigh 235 and it felt like I was on a Blaster. As an overall user friendly and fast trail bike the KFX is a superior machine, but it was built for a totally different purpose than the YFZ. If you run into a YFZ give it a run, you will be shocked.

Here is a link to some videos--just watch a couple and you will se what the YFZ is capable of.
Dogrider Videos

Old 11-11-2003, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider

I won't be shocked, I've seen to many surprising things to ever be shocked.

I'm not talking about just a piped Banshee. My brother's has pipes, Trinity racing carb, Prodesign Coolhead, Boyseen reeds, K&N and a +5 swingarm. The other Banshee has the exact same setup except he has V-Force reeds and stock swingarm.

Not that it means that much, but I've seen at least one shootout in a magazine that had a Predator outrunning a YFZ stock for stock.

Old 11-11-2003, 10:26 AM
Trailblazer

Take a look at the pics in my profile--I'm not talking about a just a piped Banshee either. In stock form, the YFZ is unimpressive just like every other bike on the market right now, but it wakes up to simple mods better than any bike ever built. All I can say is find one, race it, and let us know what the outcome is. I own a V, and have ridden the 450 both in quad and dirt bike form and it is an impressive motor.

Old 11-11-2003, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: dosthoff
Kevin,

A piped Banshee can't even come close to a piped YFZ in a straight line drag, and a Raptor just looks like a joke against the 'lil 450. I had a damn trick Banshee prior to this KFX, and it would barely run even with a piped YFZ. I will disagree on the 700 being the best motor, it is a great motor but no where near the technology that Yamaha placed in the YFZ. I tried out the YFZ, and I didn't like the bike myself. I am 6'2" tall and weigh 235 and it felt like I was on a Blaster. As an overall user friendly and fast trail bike the KFX is a superior machine, but it was built for a totally different purpose than the YFZ. If you run into a YFZ give it a run, you will be shocked.

Here is a link to some videos--just watch a couple and you will se what the YFZ is capable of.
Dogrider Videos
You are correct there. It does feel like a blaster in size. It has a longer wheelbase, but ergos of a blaster. But beware the dogrider videos. I the dogriders weigh about 125lbs each. They make the 450 look big. That helps them win races.

Old 11-15-2003, 11:35 AM
Trailblazer

hey homedawg, I see you have duals on your v but are you still using the stock primary spring? I am curious if you would have better results with a better spring.

Quick Reply: I have my doubts about v vs. yfz