Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

I have my doubts about v vs. yfz

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have my doubts about v vs. yfz

I have messed aroudn with a YFZ some on my V. I couldn't get the guy torace me but I will say thet is was quick. But, it was no faster than any of the piped banshees I have run. If any of you think that a YFZ is faster than built Banshee you are mistaken. It is a ver y fast quad and handles very well. But, I agree with Kevinm. I would love to run one on dirt after I get my exhaust and carb dialed in.

Old 11-16-2003, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: dosthoff
Kevin,

A piped Banshee can't even come close to a piped YFZ in a straight line drag, and a Raptor just looks like a joke against the 'lil 450. I had a damn trick Banshee prior to this KFX, and it would barely run even with a piped YFZ. I will disagree on the 700 being the best motor, it is a great motor but no where near the technology that Yamaha placed in the YFZ. I tried out the YFZ, and I didn't like the bike myself. I am 6'2" tall and weigh 235 and it felt like I was on a Blaster. As an overall user friendly and fast trail bike the KFX is a superior machine, but it was built for a totally different purpose than the YFZ. If you run into a YFZ give it a run, you will be shocked.

Here is a link to some videos--just watch a couple and you will se what the YFZ is capable of.
Dogrider Videos
i would have to dissagree with you the V-twin motor that kawi has is the best motor in the atv industry. you go find me a motor that is making 50hp stock and HAS A FLAT TORQUE CURVE FROM 3000 RPM TO 8000 RPM. that little 450 doesnt really rev that much higher that the V-TWIN. Remember that kawasaki had it running at 12,000 rpm saftly. That 450 has nothing untile you revv it to the moon as where the V-TWIN is making gobs of torque and hp down low.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-16-2003, 03:56 PM
Trailblazer

The Kawi motor isn't making 50 horse stock at the rear wheels--that is at the crank. The 450 will make right at 50 horse at the crank, and the Banshee isn't too far off that number at the crank as well. I like my V-Force a lot, and I think it is the best overall bike on the market. On the other hand I have owned or extensively ridden nearly every sport quad that has ever been on the market (no Polaris experience however). The V is a formidable competitor and a torque monster, but it isn't the best motor out right now albeit probably is the second best. Look at some dyno charts that are measuring horsepower at the rear wheels--the YFZ will outdo the big V in nearly every scenario from stock to mildly modified, and it weighs more than a 150lbs less. The YFZ has Yamaha's proprietary 5 titanium valve head with DOHC--that motor absolutely shook the MX world when it was introduced during the 98 supercross season. In a sand dune environment, the high rpm horsepower is superior to low end grunt and torque. If you want to start talking major modification, then the big V probably has more potential than any bike out there other than the 'shee. I don't want to argue here, as I love my V as much as you do. The fact is it is not a comparable machine to the YFZ--they are both purpose built machines and their puposes are vastly different.

Old 11-16-2003, 04:03 PM
Trailblazer

The yfz will smoke the v. not puttin the v down but iv'e been there, and raced a few. A good friend i ride with all the time has one piped jetted, and is runnin 22 inch 10 paddle haulers. The heavy weight of the v makes it hard to get off the line and the auto tranny has its limits on top end. Iv'e only raced them in the sand no hard pack yet but im sure it would be a closer race on hard pack. We trade quads with one another all the time, the v is a great quad i love riddin that thing talk about comfort! And it has low end from hell but it's in another league and can't really be compared to the yfz.

Old 11-16-2003, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: timmyboy450
The yfz will smoke the v. not puttin the v down but iv'e been there, and raced a few..
The first thing I will say to that is what primary springs were the V's running? I'd be willing to bet if you asked them, they wouldn't even know what a primary spring does.
A V-Force without a stiffer spring, even if it has duals, is not going to be very impressive.

When I say the 700 is the better engine, I mean in HP potential. The 450 is undoubtedly a good motor, but it will never make the HP that a 700 twin is capble of.

Old 11-16-2003, 11:07 PM
Trailblazer

I'll agree with you there Kevin--there is definately more potential in that 700 twin than there is the 450. The 450 is pretty well tweaked from the factory. I would like to ride one of the FST 785 kits once--I like to ride the dunes FAST, and I think that may be the ticket to surprise a built 'shee or two. When the aftermarket catches up to this 700 it will get interesting, but I wish there was a way to shave some weight off of the bike--that is its biggest downfall af this time.

Old 11-21-2003, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aww- c'mon people! Do we have to speculate on this? V700 is a b- belt driven thing. The YFZ is a manual clutched ripper, weighs a good deal less and can be wound up. Ya can't wind up the V and dump the clutch like on the YFZ. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 11-21-2003, 10:00 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: kwackermann
Aww- c'mon people! Do we have to speculate on this? V700 is a b- belt driven thing. The YFZ is a manual clutched ripper, weighs a good deal less and can be wound up. Ya can't wind up the V and dump the clutch like on the YFZ. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
It's called stall speed[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]