Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Shoe Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shoe Replacement

Can the shoes on the primary clutch be replaced without removing the spider or the entire clutch??

Old 11-11-2003, 06:52 PM
MDG
Range Rover
Default Shoe Replacement

I think you have to remove the spider to get to the shoes. I posted the same thing awhile back. Nyroc gave a reponse but it was not what we want to hear. Doesn't sound easy to get off without the right tools. His response is in the link below.

What makes you think they need to be replaced. Mine is making a knocking noise coming from the primary. I measured the gap and it was about .001 over spec. I went and bought new stock shoes and then read my manual. It looks like you need to measure the gaps before you can pick the right size shoes. Atleast that is how I understood it. I'd be interested in what yours is doing and how you determined it was the shoes.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...&keyword1=shoe

Old 11-11-2003, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default Shoe Replacement

MDG, I read you conversation with Nyroc & I'm kind in the same boat you are but with a different problem.. My problem is that my primary clutch is not coming all the way back out once stoped, it's hanging up on something wich in turn causes the belt to remain engaged while at a dead stop. I have gone over everything I can think of & cleaned the primary up reall good & it still does it.. I measured the clearence between the shoe's and the spider & it looks to be way out of spec, so I'm assuming this is the problem, but dont know for sure..

Have you actually removed the spider or primary clutch?? Dealer would probably be $150 labor & I'd like to try & avoid that if possible.. Do you know how much the puller costs??

Old 11-11-2003, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default Shoe Replacement

Actually the shoe's are not my problem, come to find out I have what appears to be a bent weight.. I do have the same noise at idle that you describe MDG, but after you get going it goes away.. I know the shoe replacement is a job I'm going to have to tackle sooner rather then later being they are worn. Has anyone tried putting a crow bar inbetween the spider & movable sheeve & forcing it apart without the pulley? just a thought, might break something, maybe the only way is to get Kawi special tools.. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 11-12-2003, 02:38 PM
MDG
Range Rover
Default Shoe Replacement

No I haven't had a chance to pull it apart yet. Between hunting and Working OT there's not much time to spend on the quad. When I get a chance I'm going to pull the primary and take it to a Kawi mechanic here in town that does work on the side. That should save on some labor.
My knocking goes away too when I get going. I hope that is it. I hate to do repairs only to find out that was not the problem.
How in world did you bend a weight?

Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

Old 11-12-2003, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default Shoe Replacement

How do you plan on removing the primary?? Are you going to buy Kawi puller or make one?? (I dont understand how you make one)

I have no idea how the weight bent (assuming it is) all I know is that the weight is binding up on the roller when the clurth retracts,(roller looks fine) I pulled the pin but wasnt able to get the weight out, need to figure that out some how.. I have seen a fair amount of discussion on the shoe's causing clicking noise, so I think it's a fair bet that is your problem as well as mine regarding the noise..

Old 11-12-2003, 06:08 PM
Range Rover
Default Shoe Replacement

Uinthas,

http://www.erlandsonperformance.com sells the tool you need part #: PCP-10 Price: $34.95

Try this link

RJ

Old 11-13-2003, 01:51 PM
MDG
Range Rover
Default Shoe Replacement

I am going to try and borrow one from the dealer or the mechanic. Otherwise I will buy one. I don't think I'm going to get time to do it before mud nationals. I'll just have to keep moving so I don't hear the knocking LOL.

Old 11-13-2003, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default Shoe Replacement

One of my local dealers said they would pull the primary if I took the CVT cover off & brought it down.. That puller Rocketjoe eluded to might be a good investment though, I'm sure this wont be the only time I'll need to pull the primary clutch..

Alos FYI, if anyone needs to replace weights, looks like the easiest way is to remove the belt, then compress the primary with a clamp, real easy to get out after that..