Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Swing Arm Boot Again! What Gives?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swing Arm Boot Again! What Gives?

The first time it looked like a weedeater got a hold of it. This time both clamps were off and the boot was twisted inside-out! It did not have any holes or tears, Whew! I did alot of hard riding today. I always have to cross Talking Rock Creek. Trails I have not been down in a couple of years and it seems nobody else had either. Lots of dead falls to move and hop, as well as some brush busting. The thing is I have a Ricochet skid plate now and it extends about 2" more than the OE but it still took a hit.
Here are the details. I put new clamps on. Drained the fluid and it did not show any signs of water. Great! I knew water just had to be in that arm somewhere so I removed the OE rear diff skid plate looking for a drain plug of sorts. Behold there is an open hole just before the diff. I like it. If water does get in there for whatever reason it drains as soon as you hit dry land.

What are we going to do to bullet proof the swingarm boot?

Old 11-23-2003, 09:20 PM
Range Rover

Rock,

There is supposed to be a plug in that hole just like the other 4 white rubber plugs that seal the swingarm casting holes. I had to buy a new one to replace one of the lost ones on mine. With that plug missing, every time you go through a stream you fill the swingarm with water. This totally destroyed my swingarm bearings. The boot was fully intact and sealed!! I thought that my rear diff was protected from the water intrusion because the 424 "looked" good. When I had it tested, it showed that it was contaminated with water!! It has an emulsifier in it that holds the water in solution so that it does not settle out and cause corrosion. However, the lab that tested my fluid said that its lubricating properties were shot. Plus, I bet it is not good for the brake packs? When I tore the diff apart to repair things I discovered that there is no seal between the empty part of the swing arm and the gear section, just the bearing it self. Mine now has all of the rubber plugs siliconed in and I check the boot regularly. If you allow water in and out of the swing arm it will wash all of the grease out of the swingarm bearings and it will get to your diff fluid as well. Take care of the hole now.

ED

Old 11-24-2003, 06:22 AM
Pro Rider

I hear you! Will Do! I guess I was thinking the open hole being on the bottom would not let water in like the submergable boat trailer lights or say if you hold a glass down into water the air won't let water in. I realize now that you are correct in there being no seal on the Diff input to drive shaft connection. And no air seal either with a vent tube!
I will mention that the oil level was not over full. I hope I got it in time.

On your "Wagner 6260A's in the stock housings". When I tried to order them from NAPA they said the "A" in the number meant it was an "Amber" colored lamp. Is that so. I did not order because it is a no return , pre-pay item.

Old 11-24-2003, 08:20 AM
Range Rover

This question is for Rock and or Fast ed,do you guys have any pics that can be posted on exactly where these plugs should go,I installed the Ricochet Swingarm skid plate and now I am concerend about this water problem seeping in. thanks,
Cleve

Old 11-24-2003, 09:50 AM
Range Rover

Rock,

I just looked at the box from the bulbs. The box was white with a made in Germany label and no NAPA markings. The bulbs were not amber, but clear. They work fine and do not overheat the housings. They can not compare though to the 7" Hella's that I have on the top of the front rack. Cleve, Give me your email and I will send some pics. I can show you the plugs in the sides of the swingarm and the one under the skidplate is identical.

ED

Old 11-24-2003, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider

FAST ED
what did you pay for the wagner 6260a bulb, it must be uncommon as i went through a whole selection of bulbs at wallmart and canadian tire and didnt find one too match. but i did find one for the wifes snowmobile for $5.98 cdn much better then 15.00 at cat dealer

Old 11-25-2003, 12:21 PM
Range Rover

Roscoe,

I think it was $12 US each for the bulbs. They were a little bit brighter, but like I said above, the Hella's really make night riding better. The factory reflectors are just not large enough.

ED

Old 11-25-2003, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider

fasted ,thanks i will keep a eye out for them