Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

What's the deal with Team Green?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2000, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Team Green is Kawasaki's factory racing connection. But doesen't a factory race team want too race with models of machines that are advaliable too the public too infulence sales?
Then why does Kawasaki race the KFX-250 when it's factory sport quad is a Mojove?
The KXF-250 is not a production quad. It's a proto-type, one-of-a-kind racer made just for competition.
So what does this all mean?
Do you think Kawasaki is planning on offering the KFX-250 in the year 2001 as a production quad?
Please explain why Kawasaki is sponsoring a quad that they don't even built.

Chris 00' TC Racing 300EX

BTW....I love the KXF-250!!! If it see's production, I'll be one of the first one's in line....

Old 06-20-2000, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

Probably for the same reason Yamaha was racing a YZ426 powered Banshee, a 500cc Warrior and Wolverine.

Old 06-20-2000, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider

Alot of race machines are custom. Look at the Ford Taurus in Nascar. The only thing it shares with the production version is the name. But, don't get me wrong I would love to see a production KXF250. But I'd rather have a KXF500 right next to the Lakota and Raptor.

Old 06-20-2000, 07:00 PM
Range Rover

Couple of things. The Yamaha YZF426 that Bryan Baker is riding and the two utility bikes you mentioned do not have any connections to Team Yamaha or the factory. That team is being financed by the Great Outdoor Store, which is a Yamaha dealership located in Tennessee. Second, Kawasaki, like anyone else, is out to win the Pro class championship. If you use the Mojave bike as your base for the race bike you would not have the slightest chance of winning a single race, much less a championship. Kawasaki is using the team for two purposes, to increase awareness of their name and the products they do produce and as a test bed for for research and development. Will they release a bike just like the one William rides? No. After all, how many people do you really think would be interested in purchasing a quad that cost more than a car. Kawasaki does have something up its sleave because William is leaving this week for California for six weeks to do some testing on it.

Old 06-20-2000, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider

bpace is obviously more plugged in than the rest of us if you follow his posts and he's exactly right. Yes the only reason for having a factory race team is to sell production machines which increased brand awareness will do. Kawasaki being involved for two years should be indicative of the development curve for the new sport machine (machines?) Once the production machine is released of course the maximum impact can be gleaned from winning on a production based machine which Kawasaki obviously intends to do. The fact that they have this factory experience makes me quite excited about the bike they plan to release shortly.

Old 06-20-2000, 10:09 PM
Trailblazer

You have to remember also that team green does have two other riders that race factory machines.Mike Penland on the prarie races utility mod. class and Todd Knippenberg on the mojave in 4 stroke stock class.I know its not the pro class but they do race at every national event and both do very well.Knippenberg on the mojave is leading in points in his class and I think that is very impressive considering he is going up against mostly 400`s and winning on a 250.I agree it would be nice to see a kawasaki 2 stroke offered to the puplic.

Old 06-21-2000, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for clearing it up.
I was thinking about the AMA supercross and out-door motocross teams. All of these these guys have 250's or 400 thumpers that are production machines advaliable too the public.
I guess when I think of a factory connection. I think of production units, setup for racing.
We can still hope for the KXF-250 from Kawasaki. But with emission laws cracking down, I would put my money on a 4-stroke.

Chris 00' TC Racing 300EX

Old 06-21-2000, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

Yes, I feel that you are right on the money. I am eagerly awaiting the release of Kawasaki's new models. I just suspect the new sport machine will be a four stroke, which may not be a bad thing, but I would prefer a two stroke. Why did you go with the DRD chassis above the other after market units. I know Roll is more expensive, how much better is it?

Old 06-22-2000, 11:02 AM
Trailblazer

I'd be happy with a 400cc 4-stroke performance bike from Kawasaki. My Mojave is a great bike, but it's getting a little long in the tooth. It's design was fine in '87 when the benchmark was a 250. But times have changed and the big bore bikes have raised the bar.

The question is WHEN Kawasaki, WHEN??????????

Old 06-23-2000, 06:41 PM
Range Rover

Would have gotten back sooner but its been a busy week. Basically, the Roll chassis was designed as a desert racer which gave it an advantage over the others out there as far as cross country setup. Doug Roll has raced and developed these frames himself over the years and it seems to work a little better than the others. I prefer the no-link rear suspension for cross country as it tends to not kick around as much in the ruts and braking bumps you encounter in woods racing. The front end turns like it is on rails, far better than the other available setups. The Axis shocks that come with the Roll were designed and developed from the start on this type of chassis and work exceptionally well. This chassis also allows you to adjust the front ride height of the bike independently of the shocks which is good because it allows for better suspension setup. Its more money, but if you want to get real serious I feel it is the best setup for the woods racer.

Quick Reply: What's the deal with Team Green?