Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Kawasaki 700 VS Polaris 700

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kawasaki 700 VS Polaris 700

I've owned 2 Polaris' and they both were broken often. I've come to the conclusion if you ride them really hard they break. My stepdad just mostly cruised on his and he rarely had any problems.

The AWD system on the Polaris' is by far the best system I've seen, but overall they just don't have the reliability of the other brands.

Old 12-22-2003, 03:43 PM
Trailblazer

[q
the handling of the Polaris is better all around. .[/quote]

Your kidding right? I guess everyone's idea of good handeling is different. My last quad was a Sportsman 500. Don't get me wrong I loved that machine. I could go anywhere on it. I have yet to put my Prairie 700 through the mud tests because it's too dang cold. but from all the other terrian I've had it on it beats the Polaris hands down. Again that's just my opinion. Everyone has a different one. As far as the 4wd system goes on the Prairie it's hust as good as the Polaris you just have to get use to using the diff lock when you think your gonna need it. One thing you have to watch out for on the Sportsman's is the 4wd sensor wires that are snaked from the hubs to the 4wd switch. Although they are fairly well protected it doesnt take much to rip the wires from the sensor and then your screwed. It's happend to me. The engine brake on the Prairie is a million times better than the one on the Polaris. Oh!! The Prairie has a warning system that lets you know your belts in trouble before it breaks. If your lucky enough on the Polaris you'll hear the belt start to come apart so you can limp home. If not, you'll need to be towed. IMHO the two shouldn't even be comparied to each other since they are sooooo different in a zillion ways. It all comes down to what you want. Both machines are good. You should really ride them both even if it's just in a parking lot and make your own decision. I'd just like to state that I have no problems with Polaris. I'm just giving my opinion so no need to flame me. Happy buying my friend!

Old 12-22-2003, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

WILEYCOYOTE... I perhaps should have said IMO, before the statement about the 4 X 4 systems... I would not want a set it & forget it system ( I raced Jeeps for over 10 years )... the steering is much lighter on the Prairie, with the open diff... with the lever I can make it a limited slip, or pull it all the way, & have a posi... & if I remember correctly, the Polaris system doesn't lock up in reverse... I've never had my Prairie stuck yet, but if I needed to back up, it's comforting to know that I can do so in true 4 X 4...

perhaps some of my statements could have been interpreted as pro Kawasaki, but, if you read what I really typed out, you'll see that I'd drive any of the brands, but I have a high stress job, & high speed stress relief is what I'm looking for in a quad... for me, the Sportsmans "fun" level is nearly at the bottom of the pile, of all the quads... the Scramblers would be much more my style, if I was purchasing a Polaris... but if all I was after was a reliable worker for around the farm, & driving to the deer stand, the Sportsman would be a terrific quad for those uses...

If you think they handle great... bring it on, I mud race & race hare scrambles all summer long... a Sportsman has never beaten me in either of these venues... they may have thier place in the mud, as they regularly do well around here in the bogs, but they are flat out an imbarassment on the hare scramble race courses... I however never talk down, to any of the guy's that race them, as IMO, as long as you're having fun, then everyone wins...

Old 12-22-2003, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider

One thing I'd like to add is the Prairie 4X4 system takes awhile to engage. I was stuck in a rut and it refused to engage.

Old 12-22-2003, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

I have ridden both. I can emphaticly state the Prairie is leaps and bounds over the Sportsman in the
handling department. The SP700 does have better clearance, and would be a better mudder or rock crawler,
but that is only important to a few of us. It makes it easier to tip over.
If you want to go fast safely, get the Kawi.

I will also point out the Sp700 I rode has been back in the
dealers shop 4 times in a year with mechanical problems.
To my knowledge, the Prairie has never had a breakdown.

2 cents worth from someone who owns neither.

Old 12-22-2003, 04:38 PM
Pro Rider

The Polaris has a "reverse override" button which will keep the front differential locked up in reverse.

When engaging the locker on the Prairie, the steering requires significantly more effort than the Polaris. The steering effort on the Polaris is actually quite light when the system is engaged. I have no idea why this is. I've read where others complained it was just the opposite. Perhaps the high and wide handlebars on the Polaris offers more leverage. I know the older Sportsmans had heavy steering, but Polaris addressed that a couple years ago.

Yeah, the Prairie has better high-speed handling, particularly on relatively flat ground, where the straight axle can go to work. But for me, the idea of a "handling" also has to do with the stability of a machine when rock crawling. This is where I spend a lot of time (I live in a mountain/desert area). My Prairie is more prone to rolling over in a slow speed, off-camber situation. I use my quads for exploring new and hard to reach areas, not racing. The ease with which a machine will go through a nasty, boulder strewn trail without tipping over has much to do with my definition of handling.

Old 12-22-2003, 06:21 PM
Trailblazer

WileyCoyote,

What kind of tires do you have on your P700? Just wondering because after I added the c-series wheels and my 26" 589's my P700 seems way more stable while low speed crawling. My Sportsman had 1" aluminium spacers with 26" 589's and the heavy duty 6x6 springs in the front. We have a section on the family farm that has 4-6' tall moguls all close together and the Prairie stays firmly planted to the ground where my Sportsman would tend to be tipsey. I was watching ATV World this past weekend and someone said something to the effect that "any quad that has gas in the tank and air in the tires is ok by me". Sounds good to me..

Old 12-22-2003, 06:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: alltoys

The next year and a half there are going to be some interesting IRS systems come out and I wouldn't doubt that Polaris will not be beaten when it comes to size when they come out with an 800cc EFI. Sportsman.
you said when it comes out with a 800...Just out of curiosity do you know something that the polaris forum doesnt? not being rude or nething but the new polaris that is coming out is a 700cc efi model...so I was woundering if you caught wind of a 800 being produced or something

Old 12-22-2003, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider

Suzuki is rumored to be working on an 800cc single, so I suppose everyone
else is looking into making an 800 also.
Of course, Kawi's will be a twin.

Old 12-22-2003, 08:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

I run GOODYEAR RAW GRIPS on my 700 Prairie, the same tire that was on my 700 polaris.

Quick Reply: Kawasaki 700 VS Polaris 700