Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Kawasaki 700 VS Polaris 700

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kawasaki 700 VS Polaris 700

Woodsrunner, I apologize to sound as if I am bashing the Prairie!!! After all most owners of the quad brag about how "fast" it is, how "fast" a "utility" machine can go versus where it can go!!! He wanted to know the difference, well its simple, the Polaris machine can go fast enough for anyone but also go where the Kawi can't!! You said yourself, it doesnt have the ground clearance for tellico!! The original post stated a main point of True 4x4, with that in mind! I'm thinking he is going to be doing some extreme 4x4ing! Do you want which is the fastest or which is most capable of going where the other can't!! Both have drawbacks!!! But one will do everthing the other will with ease besides maybe top speed and acceleratoin, but one will not do what the other will do!

Old 12-23-2003, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider

As some of you guys know, I challenged people on this website and others to bring their quads out and ride with me on my old Sportsman. I remember when the guys with Rubicons talked all the trash int he world, but they would never actually compete... typing is just easier. It is the same thing with these Prairie owners. I think the only thing they have is speed, but even that is only in a drag race on smooth terrain. Get on rough rocky terrain and have your drag race, or do as most of us do, try ot get from point A to point B. The IRS bikes are very hard to beat.

Also, to claim that the Prairie is more reliable than a Sportsman is a strecth in my opinion. The Prairies have their share of quirks... swing arm bearings, front diff seals, rear axle seals, engine braking/clutch problems, weak ball joint/strut design. I am not bashing, just leveling tge playing field some. They all have their weaknesses and that includes the P650/P700s.

Old 12-23-2003, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

Points well taken from both above posters.

We must all remember what is good for the goose may not be good for the gander.

I myself would prefer acceleration over terrain busting. And low ground clearances
are a plus in twisty woods trails, for keeping up the speed in tight manuevers.
But that is my preference, due mainly to the places I do most of my riding.

I have been to Tellico, but never
had the b*lls to ride the tougher trails, nor had the machine to do so.
Being 51 years old, I avoid risks like the plague [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

For my local riding, a Prairie would be ideal. Not so for everyone though.

Old 12-23-2003, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

. It is the same thing with these Prairie owners. I think the only thing they have is speed, but even that is only in a drag race on smooth terrain. Get on rough rocky terrain and have your drag race, or do as most of us do, try ot get from point A to point B. The IRS bikes are very hard to beat.

Also, to claim that the Prairie is more reliable than a Sportsman is a strecth in my opinion. The Prairies have their share of quirks... swing arm bearings, front diff seals, rear axle seals, engine braking/clutch problems, weak ball joint/strut design. I am not bashing, just leveling tge playing field some. They all have their weaknesses and that includes the P650/P700s.[/quote]

GregSims, I agree 100% well said!!! I have invited many Prairie owners to join me for a ride at the Upper Tellico ORV area where speeds are a whopping, mindboggling, rip the clothes off your body ******5MPH******. As I normally say on this Forum that most Prairie owners seem to never see as well as the SPEED ADDICTED magazine shootouts: Before I go any further, please remember I am not bashing, only separating opinion from fact!!! Here goes......

When it comes to utility quads why is speed all of a sudden the main issue of the machine??? To me thats a very weak aspect of the purpose of a Utility Machine! I have a little 285cc engined bike that would blow the plastic off the Prairie anyday of the week. My point is, a Grizzly, Sportsman, AC650 will go anywhere the Prairie will go in any situation, mud, hills, trails etc. it may not go as fast, but it is a FACT not an opinion that an IRS equipped machine with far superior ground clearance will DEFINATELY go through deeper mud and will lay waste to the Prairie in rock crawling situations!! After all isnt 4x4 utility machines all about where it can go versus how fast???????????? I invite anyone to come join me at Tellico!!!! 90% Rock Crawling and 10% mudriding!!!! Again, my Grizz will go anywhere the Prairie will=FACT, The Prairie will NOT go everywhere my GRIZZ will go=Fact!!!!! So besides the speed wouldnt that make the IRS machines far superior to the Prairie????

Old 12-23-2003, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider

WoodsRuner and all other Prairie owners, please don't mistake me for bashing your brand of vehicles, I admire all of you for the simple fact that we all share the same joy in riding!! Doesnt matter what brand, but the fact that we all love to ride!!! I just really hate when most Prairie owners brag so much about how fast the machine versus where it can go!!! So please forgive me if anyone takes anything I say offensive. Woodsrunner, having frequented Tellico, you have to say those are some WILD trails! LOL!!! I have been down and up every trail there even bottom of #2 where your not supposed to! SHHHHHHHH! LOL! For you purpose your quad suits you just fine, for Tellico and the places I ride, I chose the Grizz for the SIMPLE fact that you lock it in 4x4 and you don't have to wait for the rear tires to spin before the front tires do, though again Pol's have went further than me, but it just makes me feel safer!!!! And maybe the fact that I am addicted to Yamaha, though not brand biased!!! Wood, were you ever going to plan on returning to Upper Tellico???? If so let me know, we can make a trip out of it!!! Have a good time and I have a BIG camper we can all stay in!!! Let me know if you want to plan a trip sometime!!! RIDE HARD, RIDE SAFE!

Old 12-23-2003, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider

" So besides the speed wouldnt that make the IRS machines far superior to the Prairie????"

Superior for what you want to do with a quad, yes. But not necessarily for what I would want one to do.
IRS seems to be less stable at speed in corners, and I need stability in cornering. For rock crawling at 5 mph,
you are absolutely correct. My riding consists mainly of twisty heavy woods at as high a speed as I can get through, and open fields at the same. IRS has no advantage there unless a 12" log happens to be in the way [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-23-2003, 03:33 PM
Pro Rider

Woods, SHHHHHH dont tell anyone else on this forum, but I have had the occasional 30 ft tree jump out in front of me! LOL!!! I think some other people on here have had the same problem!!! Must be contagious I guess! LOL

Old 12-23-2003, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

Now how far do you think my 2x4 Rancher would get on Tellico?
For the riding I do it is idea, but no way Tellico. LOL
My hairy riding days are over. But thanks for the invite. much appreaciated.
I am just too old and fragile to do that stuff anymore [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-23-2003, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

TellicoGrizz660, I would like to join you for a death-defying ride at Tellico, but that's a little far of a drive for me. Not impossible, though. Exploring impossible terrain is why I ride, otherwise I would just drive my pickup to those places. Let me know if you ever find yourself out west. Utah, Arizona, or the Sierra Nevada. It's all good.

After reading some of the posts here, I wonder if some of you guys would be happier on a sport 4x4 such as a Wolverine, or a Scrambler. Let's be real, even the Prairie is a pig, albeit a very fast pig, but a pig nonetheless. And I'm the proud owner of one, too. But I couldn't imagine buying one to race it.

Old 12-23-2003, 04:14 PM
Range Rover

TellicoGrizz660, I would be happy to come on down to Alabamer, but it is quite the haul for me. I would absolutely love to rock crawl the 650, but once again, long distance

Quick Reply: Kawasaki 700 VS Polaris 700