Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

V-FORCE Troubles Resolved.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 10:39 PM
RPM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V-FORCE Troubles Resolved.

For those of you who remember from some time back, I have the KFX700 that had what could only be explained as a dead spot at mid throttle. Kawasaki replaced the carbs, and between that and the tuning the shop did, it made the problem better, but didn't fix it. The reason I haven't been on to keep you guys up to date, is due to the fact that I wanted to see this thing through and see how it all played out.

In all, they replaced the Carbs, CDI, part of the Wiring Harness, tested the entire electrical system several times, redid all of the grounds, Compression tested both cylinders and changed the Fuel Pump.

In the end none of this had any effect. So after several weeks (About 9 total), and countless phone conversations between the Mechanic, Myself and Kawasaki, we were finally contacted by the Top Dog on the V-Force program, who sent us off in a direction that no one would have ever thought of. Because of the fact that the Compression tests were within the factory specs, the mechanic didn't think that it was a mechanical problem, and felt that it was either a Spark or Fuel problem. From the way it felt, I personally thought that it was a spark problem.

In the end it turned out that the Exhaust Cam on the Front Cylinder was TWO (2) teeth off. Apparently a handful of the early KFX700 have had this problem. The trouble they are having with diagnosing these quads is that none of them are experiencing the same kind of symptoms, making it difficult to find a common indicator that this is the problem.

I need to say that my whole experience with this trouble and the way that Kawasaki handled it has been first rate. Although I would have liked to have had this problem solved in a little shorter time period, I will say that everyone that I dealt with was very professional and determined to get the problem solved and keep me satisfied with my purchase.

Funny thing was, that my 700, even with the Cam Timing problems, was flat out unstoppable and hauled butt. Now, it's even better.

Old 01-04-2004, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V-FORCE Troubles Resolved.

Thanks for the feed back RPM