Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

YFZ450 or V-Force

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 10:22 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YFZ450 or V-Force

OK, i think that i am the king of crashing my v-force on here. any contenders? it sucks, not the V, i don't think my abilities either. i just try wacky stuff. I believe that the V is hands down the best do-it-all-quad right now. when i bought it, i thought it was what i wanted and now it's not. i didn't know that all i was going to want to do is lots of jumps, big pit walls and now i'm trying the moto thing. what sucks about the V is parts availability! i'm sick of hearing that the parts that i need are on back order and that kawasaki has NO idea when thay will be available! mines been broke for two weeks now waiting for front hubs! the same thing happened when i first got it and needed tie-rods, then steering stem, then etc. the thing doesn't take a crash very well, but what do expect from something over 500lbs?! as far as the magazines go: use them for guidelines only, don't forget that those guys get to ride everything out there, so their opinions may differ from the average rider. what about all of the mags saying that this is the fastest quad when it came out? have you been beaten by a craptor yet? enough of my rambling on. my friend has a yfz with the gyt setup and it absolutely rips! but i'm sure i'll want a honda after i ride one, then the new suzuki 450, then whatever the next hot ticket is, it's going to be a never ending battle. something to do with technology. anyway, wheel on...................Sean

read the editorial in the feb. dirtwheels, it's a good one.

Old 01-08-2004, 12:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

WileyCayote Did you ever think that the question you 1st posted would create so much controversy?
Aside from all the spelling errors, hatters, and people that just seem to want to bash others to show how smart there are. I think the question was a good one and that when you read through everyone 's responce it starts to come somewhat clear through the smoke. The majorty of people that have purchaced the big V love it and the minorty hate it. Really think what you want to do with it. MotoX dont get it! Doing big jumps dont get it, and in my opionion from what I have read so far big technical hillclimbing in the dirt dont get it. Other than that I love mine and dune riding ROCKS!!! "Glamis Ca." and dirt riding is kick *** "Hungry Valley Ca."

Please forgive any spelling errors I am the product of public High Scool. Ha Ha!

Old 01-08-2004, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I didn't imagine I would get this many responses. One great thing about posting this thread was that I found out HappywithVforce is my neighbor, and I can go down to his house and check out the V first hand. When you're going to shell out this much money, sometimes the decision can be agonizing. What you really want is both, but here in the world of reality, that aint going to happen. I really like the auto tranny, and the boat load of instant-on torque that the V will deliver. I'm not into big air, but I enjoy tackling big hill climbs. That may be the only negative about his machine, but after reading all the threads, I feel better about buying the V than before.

Old 01-08-2004, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, I haven't been on this foum for a while, but all of the talk re: flipping is interesting. I did flip mine during a desert hare scramble. The suspension was set up with Elka Elites all the way around with almost no preload. This makes it harder to wheelie and and harder to flip.

I flipped only due to rider error. I was riding way beyond my skill level. The adrenaline just took over. Part of the course was a steep, sandy hill switchback that no one else was able to climb, not even the ATV pros. A few dirt bikes were even stuck trying to get up this animal. Three dirt bike classes started before the ATVs and used the same course. By the time the ATV riders got to this hill, it was chewed up and unpassable. I tried 3 times. On the 3rd try I flipped. As I lay pinned under the bike, a Banshee tried and he flipped too. So are Banshees prone to flipping too?

After my crash a few race officials came by and changed the course. That tells me they should have anticipated this hill was too steep to begin with.

After I flipped I tried to roll out of the way but only made it half way before the handlebars whacked me. I was wearing full riding gear which I believe saved my life. I broke 7 ribs and punctured a lung; a near death experience. I was in intensive care for 3 days waiting for the lung to stop bleeding. A week later I was back in the hospital for 7 more days because the lung filled up with blood and I almost passed out. I had to crawl to the phone and call for help.

Ever have a drain tube pushed through 7 broken ribs into your lung while you are awake? Not a nice feeling. I lost 2 liters of blood immediately when the drain hit the lung. It was like breaking a water balloon. Then I had to have an operation to remove the blood clots from the lung.

Funny thing is, I still want to race. Must be that adrenaline rush. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Oh, did I mention I'll be 51 this year? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

My points:
1. Any bike will flip.
2. My V-Force flipped on the 3rd try and because of my carelessness. I didn't lean forward as I was climbing.
3. V-Forces are comparatively heavy and do hurt if they get you.

So my .02 is that I don't think the V-Force easily flips. And as with any bike, please be careful and keep your senses while riding.

Mark

Old 01-08-2004, 04:15 PM
Range Rover

Hey Markdf. Outrageous. I am glad you survived to tell your story.

I was very lucky to get out of the way when my V flipped on a hill (it was almost a slow motion thing and I had time to pray quite a bit as I was falling backwards and sideways - "Help me Jesus don't let me die"). I ended up downhill from the bike and only my left hand was pinned under my right handlebar and I could barely pull it out. No damage to the V except the broken plastic.

I realize even more how fortunate I was.

Old 01-09-2004, 12:32 AM
RPM
Pro Rider

On my In-laws property, we have a Hill made of dirt, about 75 yards long, with a few slight turns and some strange off camber stuff. The hill has quite a reputation in the area for busting up quads as they tumble back down the hill. For over a year, I was afraid to try and tackle this thing. Then one day, myself, and my 2 Brother-In-Laws, decided that we could tackle anything, so we headed for the hill. To make a long story short, the HILL Won. It took me over a year and a half to even think about trying it again. The thing that made me change my mind to Never attempt that hill again, was my KFX700. Now when we ride, I take the Hill (We named it "Bart Hill" in honor of the one that screwed his quad up the worst.) and everyone else takes the long way around.

I personally don't get where the whole "Flippy" thing came from. I have ridden several different Brands and Models of ATV's and other than the Big 4X4's, I am yet to find another 2WD quad that can climb like the KFX700. If I can find one fault with it's hill climbing ability, it is that it is often times more capable than the rider and that can lead to trouble.

Old 01-09-2004, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

I can honestly say that the only time I have had any trouple on my V is if I stop on a hill climb. It is almost impossible for me to get started again and keep the front end down. Now, I just wait until the person I am follwing is done before I take off up the hill and there is no problems. I think that is the only time I wished I had a clutch again. It would have been nice to be able to slip it to get the bike moving again. But,the V is the best hill climbing 2 wheel drive I have ever ridden. I hope that makes sense.

Old 01-09-2004, 01:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guys, I am new to this forum, I used to chat a lot on Highlifters forum, but they are mainly 4X4 utility quad oriented and they dont have a lot of sport quad information so I thought I would check this site out.

I just read this entire thread, and I must say I have been laughing my Azz off! Its good to see that the sport quad people are just as passionate about what quads they ride as the 4X4 Utility guys! LOL

I just bought a V-Force, and I must say I really love it! I am a middle aged big guy who still rides like a kid, so the V-Force suits me perfectly. I must say, sport or utility, there is no single quad that is "the best" for every person. Pick one that best suits your needs and your budget, buy it and get out and enjoy! As someone who has been riding since I was about five years old (everything from enduros with my dad to motocross to cross country), I can honestly say just getting out doors with your family and friends and riding and having fun is what its all about. Although reading these type of posts are always entertaining.

Well it looks like there is a lot of activity here on this forum, so I think I will stick around. I will most likely be posting a lot of questions concerning the V-Force 700 in the future so I look forward to everyones advise & opinions.

Thanks!Text[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-09-2004, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

would would u get a 450cc or a 700cc? why dont you choose between a yfz450 n say a kfx400 or raptor, definately exclude the v-force the kfx400 is alot better for the cheaper price..and no its not to powerful, it has to much power for its own self, GRASS HOPPER!!W00t W00T[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 01-09-2004, 04:58 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: zmann
I can honestly say that the only time I have had any trouple on my V is if I stop on a hill climb. It is almost impossible for me to get started again and keep the front end down.
Before or after the HPD Plain spring? That may have something to do with it.

Quick Reply: YFZ450 or V-Force