Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

YFZ450 or V-Force

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YFZ450 or V-Force

I want to buy a sport quad, so I'm starting to do my research on what to buy. The purchase probably won't occur for another 10 months (I'm still paying on the previous two bikes). I'm going to ride it primarily in the dunes. From what I've read here on the Kawasaki forum, the YFZ450 is faster than the V-Force. It's also 32% lighter. That sounds like a more manageable bike. However, I like the idea of the auto tranny. Does the auto tranny have any drawbacks in the dunes? What are the other benefits of the V-Force over the Yamaha?

Old 01-06-2004, 10:11 AM
Range Rover

If it is going to be used primarily in the dunes, go with the Yami. The V is awesome but I'm sure it is not the best dune quad by far. Its made for trails. The auto is awesome for hillclimbing because you will never be gear hunting on the side of the hill. If you are going to wait 10 months then also keep the new Honda in mind.

Old 01-06-2004, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider

Something else to consider is that the YFZ is a really tiny ATV, and the V-Force is not. Have you sat on a YFZ and a V-Force, and ridden them? We had been thinking of buying a YFZ for my 13 year old son, but he is the same height as I am already (and will certainly grow taller). When my son sat on the YFZ he was the one that said "this thing is too small". So one reason the YFZ weighs so much less is because it is effectively the same size as a 90cc ATV. Ok, well maybe it isn't THAT small, but it is really really tiny.

Old 01-06-2004, 10:30 AM
Range Rover

Outerlimit,
Why the 2 handles? 3TV & OuterLimit? Same pictures and all? Just wondering.

Old 01-06-2004, 01:26 PM
Range Rover

I ride at the dunes with my 2 friends who have raptors and I have a V. I am 6'3" and the Raptor feels too small and tippy. I have sat on a yfz and it feels even smaller.

When we ride the sand is wet and choppy about half of the time. The lighter bikes really tire you out. The V you can ride all day long.

Old 01-06-2004, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider

I've also considered the Raptor, but it seems a little taller and narrower than other bikes. Yeah, I know the YFZ is small. I sat on one, too, and also noticed how small it is, however, I'm not sure it's such a negative thing.

I appreciate your replies. Since few dealerships in the world let you take these things out for a test ride, these purchases are always somewhat of a gamble.

Old 01-06-2004, 02:26 PM
sam
Pro Rider

wileycoyote
I know this isnt one of your choices butyou might want to concider the ds, it is awsome in the sand its wide, super suspension, gobs of power. down side is it is heavy, but you really dont notice it till your loading it by hand. ive owend and rode many quads the DS has been my best quad JMO. if the ds is ds is out of the question then the YFZ/450r is the way to go. again JMO
Sam

Old 01-06-2004, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

I have been contemplating buying a new Honda 450R. I stopped by the local dealer to see what their delivery date was. First week of Feb. the guy told me. He then asked if I checked out the Yammy 450. So I went over and checked it out. It was tiny. I'm 6' and 215 lbs. I was suprised at how small it was. I then saw a KFX V 700 a few bikes down. It looked awesome. I sat on it. It felt great. Ergos were about perfect. I started thinking about kickstarting the 450R. I didn't really care for that idea. No reverse on the R either, but I can deal with that, I've had an EX for over a year. I'm not sure about the weight of the 700. My Polaris Sport was about 470 lbs, and the V Force is 516. I'm all about comfort when I ride, and I seem to be leaning towards the V Force.

Old 01-06-2004, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider

Sam, I rode the DS650 a few weeks ago. Then I got off and rode a Honda 400 EX. Yeah, the 650 definitely had more power, but I had more fun on the Honda. For me, the ergonomics just felt better on the Honda. Within one minute of getting on that thing, I was already flying around the dunes, and already felt comfortable doing it. The DS probably just takes some getting used to. It has a somewhat intimidating feel to it when you first ride it. It was obvious that thing had some high limits, though.

Old 01-06-2004, 03:55 PM
sam
Pro Rider

ya the ds for some you need to aquire a tast. I went from a 400ex to the ds, it took me some getting used to. Im a big dude 6.3 265 so I felt right at home. although I felt right at home on the 400 to except the lac of power to haul my azz around. good luck on your choice. you really cant go wrong with any of you pics. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Sam

Quick Reply: YFZ450 or V-Force