Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Cleaning a dirty monster

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 10:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning a dirty monster

When we ride we have a tendency to go through a lot of mud. The mud kind of gets baked onto the engine and is a bear to get off. As a matter of fact the engine is now light brown. I noticed that a lot of you guys have nice looking engines, so what is a good product to get the baked on mud off? I use a pressure washer now but that takes the first layer off, not the cooked on layer.

Thanks

Old 01-27-2004, 08:35 AM
Range Rover

use a cleaning solvent castrol super clean wash the heavy mud off then spray it on and use a brush to scrub it off then hose off keep doing it till comes clean on my dirt bike i do this every ride and i don't have to scrub any more comes right off i also spray the motor down with wd 40 after i'm done

Old 01-27-2004, 10:51 PM
Trailblazer

I use a multi-purpose cleaner. It works good for me. after you spray it on the engine take a brush and start scrubing. after you get it clean wax the engine and that will never happen again. On your plastic use Son of a Gun. it repels water and mud and makes it shine.

Old 01-28-2004, 01:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Simple green. Spray it on, let it sit for 10 minutes and hose it off;no scrubbing; brand new quad!!!!!!! It's that simple. Alot of that other stuff is hard on paint, stickers and plastic.

Old 01-28-2004, 04:06 AM
Trailblazer

DoctorTurbo,

Simple Green on the motor?
Does it work that good there?

Old 01-28-2004, 08:08 AM
Trailblazer

yes Simple Green works real well on the motor.

Old 01-28-2004, 10:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi guys, just a note about using cleaners that is not specificly reccomended for use on ATV's. The product simpl* gr**n is not reccomended for use on any ATV and is baned from use on all military aircraft. The reason for this is the cleaner is designed for household use. It works extreamly well for the intended use and I highly reccomend it for cleaning oil spills on concrete and stuff like that. The problem is that this product, like many others have been shown to damage critical metal components. Specificaly, it causes a condition called Hydrogen Embrittlement on high strength steel components. What this means is that if you allow the cleaner to sit on high strength steel for any time over 4 hours, it will weaken the metal to a point where it can fail at only 10% of its rated tensil strength. Secondly, it causes crazing of painted surfaces and on aluminum surfaces causes galvanitic corrosion cells to form. It also has been shown to delaminate carbon fiber structures. Plastic can be adversly effeced by application of this kind of clenser. This is why the product is specifical banned for use as a aircraft clenser on all military aircraft. I am an instuctor on corrosion control for the Federal Govt. and we use the "509" manual for reference. Again, when used properly this product is exceptional and it highly reccomended. However, I would seek products that are specificaly intended for use on ATVs or any simmular use.

Old 01-28-2004, 10:10 AM
MDG
Range Rover

660mmm

Thanks for the info.
Can you recommend a cleaner that is safe to use?

Old 01-28-2004, 11:18 AM
Trailblazer

simple green ruined the finish on my hmf slip on , it sat on the powder coating too long i guess and screwed it up , will probaly remove the powder coat and run plain canister

Old 01-28-2004, 11:25 AM
Trailblazer

660mmm is right.

The Air Force discontinued the use of it in the inventory for our maintenance cleaning. We used it to wash equipment for the aircraft and clean up LOTS of oil messes. It works great and smells good too. I like it and still use it but just be careful on certain applications.

Quick Reply: Cleaning a dirty monster