Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

P700 Transmission Problem???

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P700 Transmission Problem???

At 17 hours, my Prairie just had its first problem. I took it off the trailer, no problem. Then while riding, the quad acted like the transmission wouldn't downshift. Switch from NEUTRAL to HIGH, and the thing takes off. Same when going into REVERSE. The 2WD and 4WD light alternates, and it won't go into 4WD. I took the PVT cover off, and didn't see anything unusual, but then again, I wouldn't know what unusual looks like. I know the actuator on the PVT cover is no longer working because I don't hear it anymore. That probably has something to do with it. The belt switch under the cover wasn't tripped, and the belt looks brand new still. Now the belt light is on, and the reset procedure has no effect. It's under warranty, so I'm not worried, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 02-01-2004, 09:16 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds like your actuator is broke and holding pressure on the drive clutch.It holds pressure on it when decelerating for your eng brake. That will make it have pressure on it all the time when in gear and make it hard to shift. Get it back to the dealer asap if it is still under warr.

Old 02-01-2004, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider

Yea sounds like wat my 360 Prarie done before i got it fixed. What kind of riding to you do? Slow or fast most of the time? I ride fast most of the time and ride over 19 kilometers a day and the warning sticker said not to exceed that. Oh well it will be covered by warranty.

Old 02-01-2004, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

After a proper break-in, I did some hill climbs. That pushed the machine to its limit, for sure, but the quad never complained. Hammerman, I think you're right about the actuator. After taking the PVT cover off, I had to press it back on because the actuator was somewhat engaged, and wouldn't move. I wonder if the actuator failed, or if it's just not getting juice.

When I first rode this thing, you could hear the actuator going to work. I thought to myself that having an electrical servo operating a part of this machine seemed kind of risky. Apparently, my thoughts were prophetic. Are these actuators known to be problematic.

Old 02-01-2004, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

weird? The engine brake is suppose to fault to an off position. If it dectects a problem it shuts it's self down. I thinking fuse for the engine brake. The fuses are under your seat. And no. these things should last longer than your bike. I had the sensor go on mine 650 (had a little dirt on it cleaned it and it was fine. When the senor went it wouldn't engine brake because it shut it's self off. I thought when I bought my 650 that I would be replacing it every month because I use mine so much... well 20,000km and not even 3 years later I haven't touched it. Did you give it gas in neutral? I have 50 hrs on mine 700 and it's running like a top.

Old 02-01-2004, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

does your actuator make a screeching sound when it enages or when you shut the machine off every now and then? mine did the same thing w/ the screeching had to get it replaced, its a $234 part [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 02-02-2004, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: WileyCoyote
At 17 hours, my Prairie just had its first problem. I took it off the trailer, no problem. Then while riding, the quad acted like the transmission wouldn't downshift. Switch from NEUTRAL to HIGH, and the thing takes off.
I'm having trouble following this - could you explain a little more?

Old 02-02-2004, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

Normally, with the engine at idle, the bike should remain stationary, even when in gear. These things don't have gears, per se, but it's as if you were putting the bike into 2nd and dropping the clutch. The system is engaged, even at idle. Does this make sense?

Old 02-02-2004, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider

You've had some sort of electronic/electrical failure. Thank goodness for warranty.

Old 02-02-2004, 07:45 AM
Pro Rider

I'm 100% sure its your actuator. Same thang happened on my 360 Prarie. Does it make a buzzing sound when you shut it off? If it dont then it is your actuator. It should be covered by warranty.

Quick Reply: P700 Transmission Problem???