Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

P650 held up pretty well in GNCC race on Jan 31st

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004 | 09:25 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default P650 held up pretty well in GNCC race on Jan 31st

Well, I did it!!! I completed my very first quad race ever...and I did it in style at the GNCC race held this weekend in Gilmer, TX. As far as the race itself, it was held on a 9 mile cross-country course at Barnwell Mountain Recreation Area (BMRA) in Gilmer, TX under cloudy skies and 50ish degree weather. B/c this was my very first race ever, my goal was simply to complete the race and do it without significant injury to myself or my quad. I am happy to report that I finished 3 laps during the approx. 2 hour race and earned 10th place out of 15 quads in my class (utility stock class) and earned 114th place overall out of 180 quads in the morning race. As expected, Mike Penland took 1st in my class and Scott Kilby took 1st in the utility modified class. I did get to meet both guys afterwards and they seemed like very easy going fellas.

The course was a very rocky, rough course with lots of steep hills to climb and descend. There was not much room for passing on many of the tight wooded trails. Most of the faster sport quads that wanted to pass the slower riders (like me) would get right behind us and either scream to move over or rev their motors loudly. The result was that I was very busy watching the course obstacles in front of me and watching for the faster quads coming up from behind at all times. Not exactly what I'd describe as a friendly ride with the guys!

At the end of my first lap, I suffered a sprained/jammed thumb on my "throttle thumb". It hurt like he!! the rest of the race...especially over the rough sections (which were everywhere!). Its a little swollen and tender now...but I'll be fine soon. Otherwise, I am dog tire and very, very sore as a result of the race. My quad faired pretty good during the race...it had more power than I needed as suspension and braking seemed to be the name of the game on this course...both are not exactly specialties of a big, heavy P650 when compared to the many sport quads in the same race. In fact, I rarely hit WOT for any significant length of time b/c of the many tight, twisty trails, the rough surfaces on straight-aways and the many bottle necks of riders. My left front (C-series) rim suffered a nasty ding on a big rock during a steep hill climb (NOTE: my mudlite tires do not offer much rim protection). I think I would have faired better with solid-looking beadlock rims like Penland has on his P700. Also, my front (stock) skid plate is now completely destroyed thanx to scraping across too many large rocks. I exclusively used my rear brakes throughout the race and they seemed to wear/fade towards the end of the race. Of course, I now have over 800 miles on these rear brakes and perhaps they are getting a little warn out now anyway. Otherwise, my P650 performed well and is in good condition after the race.

All in all, I had a lot of fun and I enjoyed the racing experience...but I don't think I'll do this particular race again anytime in the foreseeable future. I'm just too old/cautous for this kind of 2 hour beating. However, I do think I'll be more suited for the local (1 hour) hare scramble races like the Texas atvccs series.

PS - As far as I could tell, I was the only quad in this race that had a winch installed. I guess I always was a little different [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-01-2004 | 10:14 PM
Pro Rider

Good Job!!!!!!!I could not go there was a death in my family and could not make it.

Old 02-02-2004 | 10:14 AM
Pro Rider

Nice report & Picture ( Pic on kawieriders )Mikey... glad you made it through with only minor injuries to you & your quad...

makes you respect an "old" guy like Pendland, that does this regularly, with out serious injury... I always try to talk the guys putting on the races, into having them on Saturday, so I have a day to rest up...LOL...

I did my 1st ATV ice race this last Saturday... it was an S shaped track, & they wouldn't let me use my studs ( AMA Ice Race Screws only )... however alot of guys were running regular hardware store hex head screws... In hind site, I should have paid my entry, to race, but just make myself ineligible for the trophies... I did race the unstudded class, but my rear tires got too much traction, & wouldn't allow me to turn... I took 5th place, out of 12 quads in that class... it was way too cold, as the morning started out below zero...

Old 02-02-2004 | 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

Kool deal mike, I think I saw you riding around after the race. Did u have ur kids on ur wheeler with you?

Old 02-02-2004 | 12:17 PM
|
Pro Rider

Yep, that was me! My son is 2 and my daughter is 5...Gotta start'em on riding quads when they are YOUNG! I spoke to a few guys on V-Forces with dual pipes and asked if they posted on this (or other forums) under your name and they said no. Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you. BTW, did you race? If so, what class and how did you place in the race?

Old 02-02-2004 | 12:29 PM
Pro Rider

Na, I couldnt afford to race, but I was in the kawasaki pits all day saturday. Mike Penland and Scott Kilby stopped by high lifter on there way in and we helped tune there bikes out on the dyno and went to lunch with them, so he let me hang out in the kawie pits. And I must say, that I have never been so proud to own a brand of 4-wheeler like I am now, Kawasaki is soooo supportive of there riders it was amazing. They helped every kawie rider who needed and some broke honda guys too. But it was the greatest event ive ever been to in my life, ive never had so much fun before. Im gettin some pics developed right now ill post, but I got a few pics of mike and scott at HL I can show yall. Mike Penland & Scott Kilby Pics at High Lifter

Old 02-02-2004 | 12:43 PM
|
Pro Rider

Bryan,
Great pics! Can you tell us how much max hp/torque that Mike and Scott's quads showed during the dyno runs? That would be very interesting! If you can't say, I understand.

BTW, I bet that was fun to spend an afternoon with those guys! While I only briefly met/shook hands with Mike and his son at the race, I did get a chance to speak with Scott and pick his brain for at least a few minutes. They obviously have this whole GNCC thing down and know who to tune a Kawi right!

Old 02-02-2004 | 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

Way to go, Mikey!!!
My friend Big Al (V-Force)and his wife(KFX400) went down there to race from central Ohio. Al placed 6th in his class. Mrs Al(Mudwar) had a flat.

Old 02-02-2004 | 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

Mikey,

Im glad you had a good time! and I enjoyed reading your experance, brought back some menories.

Bryan ~HighLifterV700~

I would love to know the dynos myself!!

www.marylandatv.com

Prairie 700 w/broken paw
V-FORCE
250R
And a bunch of other Toyz