Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

SGTROCK... A#1 with me...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SGTROCK... A#1 with me...

SgtRock, I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to not only give us the good news but post a hole site on it. I can't wait to buy one end of March/beginning of April. I had a lots of mods on the standby because the stock Cdi would consume all the extra top end power we would give to it. But hoping there won't be any delay on the Cdi's sales like DGR had with the unlimiter, I will be able to go ahead with the clutch mods. A Ski-Doo CVT expert that lives in my town that works for many Ski-Doo racers is now interested in giving the Prairie more top speed which has very similar internals has thoses snowsleds CVTs. He will be machining and modifying the two original clutches with Ski-Doo similar mods. The tests are going to be performed on my Prairie. There are a lots of straight ends here that go for miles. So many Prairie owners who are also Ski-Doo owners around this area are very interested in more top speed for their Prairies and demanded his help! That is why he accepted to work on ATVs. I will give you the result is soon as we get the mods done. I heard Alltoys had something on clutch mods too but no more. Maybe, it would be good for him to speak with Alltoys and exchange information, but the Ski-Doo CVT expert can read a little bit in english, but only speaks french (Like 80% of the people that lives here) so I guest I would have to translate for him. But, anyways this should be also very interesting!

Old 02-12-2004, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

Spliffstar,

The bigger CDI is the stock unit and they all look pretty much like that. Mitsubishi used crushed stone in the epoxy, thats why it looks melted. If you pull yours out and look at the back, you'll see what I mean.

The new CDI does what the Holeshot and similar modules do, only better. The advance is always better than stock regardless of speed. If you look up some of the posts on how the holeshots work, you'll see what I mean.

LittleBoy,

The clutch stuff sounds pretty awesome, let us know how it goes.

Peace,
Sgt_Rock

Old 02-12-2004, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

I agree totally with you Mike, he offered it to me last night, but I just took my exhaust off a sent it out to get jet hot.(plus many other things) Most other people would have keep it to themselves. Just goes to show you there are still a few good people left on this world!

Thanks again Sgt_Rock!!!!!

Maybe in a couple of weeks a may need to take you up on that offer again?

Old 02-13-2004, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider

No problem guys. Let me know when you have it running Will and I'll get you setup to test it out. The only limitation I have is that when my new one arrives, I've promised to give this one to someone permanently.

Peace,
Sgt_Rock

Old 02-13-2004, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider

Littleboy,

Let us know how you make out on the clutch mods. When the prairie first came out in 2001, we modified a clutch by removing every other fin on the cooling fan, drilling the face plate and spider, adding heavier weights to a clutch, with stiffer polaris springs. the clutch had been milled in between the sheeves to make it close more, You can only mill the distance, of the space between the belt and the sheeves at idle.

With oversized tires, which changed the gear ratio, we unofficially got speeds of around 80 mph with a modded p650.

What we did hurt our bottom end performance somewhat.

A racing team requested to see one like it and I saw on a recent post that they were running 74 mph on stock prairie, with only clutching...... wonder where they got that idea....lol

Good luck let, us know how you make out.

Old 02-13-2004, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

It will be my pleasure Shotgun. you have help so many people on this forum. I join this forum a short time ago but have been following it for quite a while now. And realized how some of you guys devoted themselves to help one another. And I admire that! I will ask Serge (who is the CVT expert) to explain to me exactly what he has done and will be doing to my clutches and translate it to you in english. His first clutch mods are similar to what you just explained. On the bench, wheels in the air, we uptained 122km/h (75.8mph). Wheels on the ground on a pretty straight pavement road, we uptain 106km/h (65.9mph) with the same mods. On the same straight road, we uptained 103km/h (64mph) without the clutch mods, only 3km/h less than with the mods. The Cdi seems to consume too much power with its retarded ignition on top end. So, he more stuff he plans to do but wants to wait for the Cdi to arrive before going any further. Like he told me, any mods he does to the clutch won't give us any top end without being able to get that power on the top end! So, looking forward for end of March/ beginning of April for the Cdi. I will kept you posted when we get it done right.

Old 02-13-2004, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

so what exactly is this new cdi supposed to do? adjust the timing curve?if so will it work on the prairie also?if it does i may need to buy two.

Old 02-13-2004, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider

Here you go,

http://home.comcast.net/~raptor2/dynatek1.htm

You will get the information you want there on it.

Old 02-14-2004, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

I have to agree with the troops here,,, Sgt Rock has also talked with me about trying it but just like the others, I have to wait! I have sent my quad away for a few months, I donated it in the name of science for some serious R&D work! Thanks again Sgt Rock!!!!!!