Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kawasaki to dominate the 12 Hours OF ATV America Race ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kawasaki to dominate the 12 Hours OF ATV America Race ???

Well, from what we were allowed to see of the 12 hours course... it was awesome...

My team mate, Dan & I raced the hare scramble this weekend on the site of the 12 hour race... we were told up front that it was not the full 12 hour course, & that they would be adding more option lanes on the backside yet.... Dan took 5th out of 5 in the utility class ( all 650 & 700 Prairies )... Me... I decided at the last minute to send my 650 to the shop ( not completely blown up )( needs a head gasket, & I can't keep it cool right now ), & drove our 300 Prairie ( full time 4 X 4, & set up for my wife to mud bog with )... I entered the fat old man class...LOL... took second out of 3 ... I didn't mind losing 1st to a guy on a Z 400 ( the senior class goes strickly by age, rather than the quad style )

the course was rough in a few areas, as the owner is putting a stock car track in, & they are still working around it at this time...the front side is a balance of MX sections & tight woods sections, in loose soil & sand, down by the river a steep hill, going both up & down... the back side is TIGHT woods section with alot of steep off camber hills & corners, much more challenging & technical riding... the service road is nearly complete, & will aid greatly in extraction of downed quads, & viewing of other sections of the race...

I'm infactuated with the quality of the dirt / clay on the hill on the front side, as again I got a closer look at it... I was riding my wifes 300, with the thumb extender ( don't do it man !!! )... after about 4-5 laps, I was getting comfortable enough that I was powering down the hills ( if you can power down the hills on a 300...LOL... )... at the bottom of the long steep hill in the option lane I was in, was a section that was VERY steep, near the bottom, with a jump at the very bottom... 20 feet from a sharp right turn ( you must hit the jump a just the right speed, to take the jump, & still make the turn ), I wasn't able to hook my thumb, on the handle bar & grab some brake, with out hitting that thumb throttle extender... I knew I was in trouble ... I'm not sure if I had finally grabbed too much brake & hit the jump with the nose of the quad, when the suspension squatted under hard braking, Or weather I went over the jump with the brakes on & pounded the nose... either way, I was quickly ejected over the handle bars, & at some time during the 2-3 tuck & rolls down the rest of the hill, I saw the quad rolling end over end, behind me... I was sure I was going to end up with the quad on top of me like last race, but as I laid there trying to get my wind back, ( it knocked the wind out of me at sometime during my gracefull landing )... I turned around, & the quad was sitting there ( side ways on the trail ) ... Idleing away, waiting for me to get back on... the custom aluminum front end ( put on after my wife T-boned a tree last year ), was unfazed, the rear rack was pushed down a little in one corner... the handle bars were pushed down to the tank, fortunatly, they just spun in the clamps... after getting back on & getting into the tight woods section along the river, at the bottom, I realized that the hand brakes had also spun & I had to stop, for second & pull up the brake, so I could reach it... 2-3 more laps & the race was over for me... back at the pits, when Dan came in, I could see he was one of the many that had found a tree ... I think every utility had bent bumpers, or broken plastic on the front end...

A special thanks to the Webster County Wheelers... the track was awesome looking forward to seeing all you guys next time...

This isn't a formal challenge or anything, but I don't believe there is an other large bore utility class quad out there, that is going to be able to keep up with Mike Pendland / team Kawasaki , or the local Fort Dodge Iowa boys ... I think those 650 / 700 Prairies were turning lap times faster than the "A " class 2 X 4's... the $30,000.00 pro purse should attract alot of pros, come race or cheer on your favorite team ...If you camera guys want good footage, find the hills... I'll be there...WAM

Old 09-30-2003, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider

now that I got a few of you worked up... I want to say that I feel the Grizzly to be a very formidable machine, & just maybe the only quad out there that could pose any competition ... are you going to come & race, or come & cheer on a Yamaha team ???

Old 09-30-2003, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

Just to let you know, the pits are open on Friday the 24th to meet all the drivers & for the kids to trick or treat... 1/2 way through the race on Saturday, they'll be giving away a new Yamaha 450... there will be a poker run on Sunday, & an ATV pull... let me know if you need any more info...WAM