Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Are Duals really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Duals really worth it?

Today I was able to meet up with MentalState, and he has a set of Alien duals on. We went on a fast 70 mile ride today, and the only thing that his V had over mine was noise. He jetted up, and he said his plugs looked good, and he also is running a EPI red spring. We did a couple of drags on the lake, he got the jump on me(he had studded tires) but I was able to catch him. In fact, he was about 3 lenths ahead front from the start, but I was caught up on him pretty good untill and felt if there was more room, I would of past him. Both races we tied, or I was just ahead. Even he said he wasn't that impressed with them. Too much noise with no real performance. I even got a chance to ride his for awhile (he wanted to check how good my Elka's were, he wished he got them instead of the duals) and came back thinking, I can't see wasting money on duals. They were loud, and didn't impress me at all. I mean, it sounded like he had more power, but there wasn't any. For those who have duals, did you really feel the difference, or did it just sound like you had more power?

Old 02-20-2004, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

I got a lot of power out of my HMF duals. I picked up multiple bikes on my buddies kfx400 when I put the duals on.

Old 02-20-2004, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

was it the duals or clutching. I say this, because I have the Dalton blue spring in, and this made a big improvement over stock.

Old 02-20-2004, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

The EPI red works well on a stock V, but its not nearly enough spring for the Aliens.

Old 02-20-2004, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

What spring is best with duals?

Old 02-21-2004, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

The spring I've been using is a Polaris rated at 34/181, compare that to the 37/140 of the EPI red and you'll see that you're not getting nearly enough RPM's from the red.
The Aliens make excellent HP from bottom to top when clutched right.

Old 02-21-2004, 01:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Springs are not going to make horsepower, The pipes do. true springs increase clutching so they can make a quad feel more powerful, but they will do this with an otherwise bone stock motor. I would say that the correct duals increase power. Be careful though, Much like Harleys unequal length pipe or pipes with to little backpressure for a given Cam profile can actually reduce power. DO some research before wasting money on dual exhaust. My buddy matt bought a new V-force and the first thing he did was put duals on it from a guy at the dealership who was selling them. Why would someone sell brand new pipes?????? My guess i because they straight did not work. My other buddy Dave's 400 EX, slightly modified, but still a 400EX smoked the V-Force. This should not have happend in my mind

Trending Topics

Old 02-21-2004, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider

Springs greatly affect horsepower by keep the rpm in the proper range. A pipe change will affect peak horsepower and that's where a clutch spring change will greatly affect hp. If your pipe produces peak hp at 7000 rpm and you still have a stock clutch spring shifting out at say 6500, then you most definately affect hp and might as well put the stock pipe back on.

Old 02-21-2004, 01:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well put polarisfreak. I`m running the polaris yellow 40/190 and it made a significant differrance in power and where it kept my v-force revs.

Old 02-21-2004, 07:42 AM
Range Rover

I have seen one thing that tells me that the duals make more power. When racing my nethews V with no dauls I could pull him the entire run. When he put his dauls back on it would be even except his would slightly pull on me on top end. But are they worth it..... probably not for what we like to do GE4x4. You know as well as I do it is more about handling and the guy on the seat, and the guy on the seat the most. Because you could put me on the most modded V ever set perfect for me...drag one off the showroom floor give it to my nethew and he will be 5 min. ahead of me at a GNCC race after one lap. I wish now I would have spent the money towards Elka's, but I do love the sound of those HMF's. I think the sound sold me. For guys that drag....they would be something to have, and needed to win, but not in the woods. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Are Duals really worth it?