Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

messed up dial-a-jet install!! HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 04:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default messed up dial-a-jet install!! HELP!!

I was wondering if you were going to chime in on this one cartman308.

Old 08-23-2004, 07:33 PM
Trailblazer

I have to chime in also.
My installation was just like cartman's.
I put the nappa snorkle and the twin air on and kept fouling.
Gave up and went to regular jetting.
Wouldn't try them again.
Don't ask me about my dynatech cdi.

Old 08-23-2004, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had my DAJs for 6 months now and I'm luke warm about them. My P650 runs fine with DAJs installed, but honestly I bought them with the hope that I would not have to rejet (I added some mods at the same time to lean out the carbs - like Napa hose, twin air filter & Nyroc Mod). It turns out that I had to drop 3 sizes in my main jets (130 ft and 135 rr) to get the carbs lean enuf to run correctly with DAJs.

I don't really notice any difference in gas mileage...but last night when I pulled both plugs, it was apparent to me that I'm still running too rich (maybe thats why).

I will keep the DAJs on my quad b/c it runs fine with them, but I won't recommend them to anyone who wants to try them out as a gas saving device. I noticed a slight improvement in throttle response (especially low to mid range) when I first installed them, but honestly I cannot tell you if it was the DAJs that did that or perhaps it was the other mods that I did at the same time (Napa hose, twin air filter & Nyroc Mod) or perhaps it was a combo of all mods together.

Perhaps I'd recommend them to others who frequently ride a different elevations b/c it truly is a 5 minute job to adjust the carbs with the DAJs. But I've not tried ridden at different elevations so I don't really know for sure how effective they are.

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-23-2004, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

So, do you guys think that if I install an exhaust and open the airbox up I'd be good to go with the stock jets or would I still need to reduce the mains down on a Raptor?

Chris

Old 08-24-2004, 02:58 AM
Pro Rider

If you open up the airbox I think you will need to rejet for sure.

Old 08-24-2004, 06:50 AM
Pro Rider

Do you mean go bigger jets or smaller jets?

Chris

Old 08-24-2004, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider

if you install DAJ's, no matter what other mods you do, YOU WILL HAVE TO DROP FROM THE STOCK JET SIZE! It's not worth the effort to find the right combo, unless your going to ride in exremely varying elevations.....IMHO.

Do your pipe and airbox mods, then jet up accordingly. This will save you about 80 bucks and alot of heartache.

cart

Old 08-24-2004, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider

I fully concur with Cartman's last reply! Unless you are taking your quad to different elevations to ride (i.e., go to the mountains), then don't bother with DAJs.

PS - I am changing out my DAJ air snorkels tonight. I noticed that they have shrunk a little inside the air box (where they come out of the DAJ bodies...apparently the air snorkel hose that comes with the kit is not heat resistent!!! Today, I bought some replacement tubing at Lowes and I'm also going to install brass elbows (a 90 degree bend) to prevent the tube from getting swished where it exists the air box (via a small hole that I had drilled in the floor of the airbox). I hope this will get a little more airflow into the DAJs and lean out the mixture a little more.

happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-24-2004, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

So, if I've done enough reading and understanding these DAJ's, it sounds like it doesn't matter what mods you do the bike to increase airflow and power, the DAJ's will run rich with the stock jets, right?

Chris

P.S. That doesn't sound correct at all to me, but if that's the case, then that's the case!

Old 08-24-2004, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

Ravencr,
That is correct based on what I and others have experienced with DAJs. The literature for DAJs says differently...in fact, I spoke to Lonn at Thunder Products about it before I bought them and he said the same as his literature (that no need to change jets if you add DAJs at same time as adding aftermarket pipe, hi flow filter, airbox mods, etc. to lean out the mixture). Keep in mind that the DAJs require a very lean carb condition so that the DAJs can add its own a/f mixture when needed. I would recommend that you buy DAJs with the understanding that you will have to re-jet the carbs. I wish I had known this before I bought them!

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: messed up dial-a-jet install!! HELP!!