Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

How about a KFX400 !?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How about a KFX400 !?!?!?

Ok so my Uncle wants to buy a new 2004 KFX-400. i got him a deal on a brand new one, $5100 out-the-door. id say thats not bad at all. but i have some questions about the quad. i already know how fast it is, and how much power it has, and what it handles like. and my uncle DOEST CARE weather it will compete with a raptor or not. so i dont want to hear "buy a raptor instead" from any raptor fans...LOL , all he wants to do with it is trail ride and have fun. so how does it do on trails? and in Mud? the main concern we have is as fallows.....Did zuki fix the Frame and Axle problems for 04?? my uncle definetly "wont" be MX-racing or doing any Jumping at all....so how does the kfx hold up to normal rdiding use, and how easy/hard? is the maintinece?? lol, he currently owns a Zuki LTF-250 utility quad, so this KFX is a HUGE jump for him...lol. if he does end up buying it, how long will it take to break the engine in properly? ill also be spending a good bit of time riding it as well. and if i like it, i might sell my quad and get a KFX as well....who knows? if anyone can help me out, or has any suggestions than i would apreciate it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] .

Old 02-28-2004, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

No complaints here. In fact, taking the 400 out again this Sunday for some muddin. I believe that both of the problems you mentioned have been fixed, not 110% sure though. Power, it's has plenty even when stock for most riders, especially coming off the 250. Handles well in the trails and is geared pretty decent for the slow stuff and the fast rides. Suspension isn't bad either for us common folk. Maint is a no brainer, though I wish it had a spin on filter as I hate changing out the paper element. Break in is easy throttle for 10 hours according to the manual. As with any new motor, just don't hold it pinned until you have some time on it IMHO. It's alot of machine for the money, I think you both will like it. There's some KFX400 pics. in my photo gallery if your interested.

Old 02-28-2004, 01:22 AM
Pro Rider

I loved my 400. It was great on trails, reverse was a life saver and the maintance was a snap. Air filter is easy to get to for cleaning, chain is a little bit of work to adjust. However, out of all the quads I have had it is the one I would purchase all over again. As far as break-in it suggest 10 hours. I gave it 4 hours and cruised on. Pictures on my profile of me busting out a good wheelie on it!

Old 02-28-2004, 03:01 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds good. i did some searching and it seems the axle and frame issues where tended to. ya reverse is a real nice thing to have since we ride up in the mountains and in some tight stuff. thats why he doesnt want the 400ex,it has no-reverse. my new blaster doesnt have reverse, and i find myself getting off it and lifting it out of Stuck's all the time LOL. good thing it only weighs 324 pounds. but its not as easy to do that on a KFX, thats why reverse is a huge PLUS* thanks for the info, and some cool pics there too [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 02-28-2004, 03:27 AM
Pro Rider

I've had my Kfx for almost 6 mo. now and love it. I have rode a couple of Raptors and yeah they do have more power and will win in a drag race but I didn't like the feel of them, they feel more top heavy and scketchy at top speed. The 400 rides real smooth and can be lugged real low. Great for sliding and dune riding also. Maintenance so far has been easy and so has the basic mods, pretty straight forward.

Old 02-29-2004, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider

Awesome.....hey i noticed that the Swingarm looks pretty dang Beefy, like a big square chunk lol, i also noticed some "things" sticking out of it.....are those "things" adjusters of some sort? like for the chain perhaps? and how well does the stock Swimg-arm guard protect the sprocket and rotor! because there are quite a few rocks and ruts where we do most of our riding! thanks!

Old 02-29-2004, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider

Yes what you see sticking up are the adjusters for the chain. The factory guards protect the rear sprocket good. However, If your in big rock area I would get a aftermarket to replace the factory guard.

Old 03-02-2004, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, you will defintely want some better protection for rocks. We went with Pro-Armor all around on the 400, nice stuff. Bolts right up and is heavy duty protection IMHO.