Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Dial a jet users..............

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dial a jet users..............

Hey all you guys with dial a jets or people who have used them before..... I installed my dial a jet yesterday (3 hrs) The prairie has come alive on the bottom end, and mid range is alot stronger, but on my top end i think it is rich.......... ran down the road yesterday in low, wheelied off the start, pulled through the mid range real strong, but when i hit 40 mph it coughed and kinda gave out. I have a low boy vent mounted on my air box lid so i opened it up and it jumped to 43 in a blink of an eye.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] When i closed it, it did the same thing cough and give out (loose power) about 39 - 40 mph.

Well that's the symptoms doc. now what should i do? (drop the jets one stage ((from 135 f 140 r to a 132 f 138 r)) or do i get into the needles????)

I think the needles are ok by the way it feels, lots of power, no coughing, picks up speed smooth and fast. It just falls on it's face in the top end.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

One last thing it started pretty easy inside the shop.(3 turns out front 3 1/2 turns out rear on the piolot screws) Should i leave that part alone.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Thanks in advance for any and all of your help guys!!!!!

Old 02-28-2004, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

bump

Old 02-28-2004, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

If it starts easy as you see, leave the screw settings alone. Dial-A-Jets don't work during idle anyway.

Sounds like coming down a size or two on the main jet may help the top end problem.

Mark

Old 02-28-2004, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the above post! You should consider dropping at least one size on the main jets and that should cure your problem. Keep in mind that DAJs are supposed to work best if the carb is running about main jets that are about 2 sizes too lean so that the DAJ can add its air/fuel mixture.

Good luck and Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-28-2004, 07:01 PM
Trailblazer

I played with mine today. Removed the air box cover and ran down the street. Running to lean on all settings. My problem is the DAJ doesn’t seem to change when I adjust the settings, with cover on. I thought it was running to rich with the new pipe, but now I believe that I may need to bump up a jet. I think it might be working on all settings but not at the best jet size, thus no change in DAJ settings. I have to find my 145 jet in order to continue.

DG Holeshot
DG Snorkel
K&N Filter
Dial-A-Jet
Supertrapp IDSX exhaust
Primary Dalton Plain\white spring
Secondary EPI black spring
P-700 Belt
ITP 589's on C's
Warn 2500 winch
Headlight mod
Rear backup light

Old 02-28-2004, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

Davinator,
Page 14 of the DAJ instruction booklet says that if you notice no change in peformance while turning thru all of the dial, then your carbs are too rich. That means you need to go to at least 1 size smaller jet and try it again.

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-28-2004, 10:16 PM
Trailblazer

Mike I agree with you. I ordered smaller jets. On another thread You and I talked about this and decided that was right the course of action. Someone else suggested removing the air box cover to lean out the motor and would be the same as smaller jets. I did and every setting on DAJ was to lean. That’s why I’m thinking that I may be running just lean enough that the DAJ is compensating at every setting, but not in the sweet spot, where I can adjust with the DAJ. It runs strong, but not like it did before the changes. Seems like I had more grunt in the seat of my pants. But I was able to make changes to the motor with the DAJ, where as now all settings feel the same.

DG Holeshot
DG Snorkel
K&N Filter
Dial-A-Jet
Supertrapp IDSX exhaust
Primary Dalton Plain\white spring
Secondary EPI black spring
P-700 Belt
ITP 589's on C's
Warn 2500 winch
Headlight mod
Rear backup light

Old 03-01-2004, 09:24 AM
Pro Rider

DAVE... I don't think it will run right with the cover off... you can try the richer jets, But IMO, you will end up with smaller jets to get it correct...contact the guy's at Thunder Products, they will work you through it, & really want it to work well on your quad...

2003650... my advice is the same ( sorry, my P.M. box is full, & requires a little emptying, before I can respond, so I'll answer you here )... with the altitudes you are running, IMO, you'd be better going to a smaller ( or even two sizes ) jets, but again, your best help will probably come from Thunder Products... If it's starting good, I'd leave the needles alone, & the pilot screws won't effect ( in reality ), speeds 40 pmh & over...

IMO, the box vent will help in altitudes, riding at slower speeds, but at speeds they aren't very effective, & can actually provide negitive results...

Old 03-03-2004, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

Ok guys,

I've been doin some home work on the dial a jets and here's what i have come up with.... i talked with lonn's buddie from thunder products and he seems to think that with the napa 7335 hose, twin air filter, and nyroc's exaust mod. I have leaned the p out way bad. He suggested i go back to stock jetting 138f 142r and start from there. I droped one full jet size from my current jetting and it did nothing.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] The only thing i can think of is i am way to lean. I can't get my p up to full throttle to do a wot plug check.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] It starts stalling out and stamering about 1/2 way to 3/4 throttle.

Any other suggestions?????

Old 03-03-2004, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider

Have you tried using the stock main jets with your DAJ? I have stock jets with my DAJ and it works fine for me (I'm at 100 feet above sea level). What does the motor do when you turn the choke on? Does this help clear up the condition or does it run worse? If it help, you are still too lean and you may need to go up another size on the main jets. If it makes it worse, you are too rich and you may need to drop 1 size on the main jets.

Good luck and happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Dial a jet users..............