Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Converting p650 carb to include primer

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 01:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting carb to include primer

Has any body actually gone through with adding the primer setup to thier p650 and would be willing to share part numbers, cost and the experience? I post earlier about choke troubles.

Old 03-02-2004, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default Converting p650 carb to include primer

Try ordering from a Kawi dealer in canada? We have primers from factory here. You can look at the kawi Can parts page and figure out what you need.

Old 03-02-2004, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry YUNK... was going to try to catch you, but posts get burried so fast on this forum... Are you sure it's the choke ??? your'e original post sounded like it may be something other than choke problems...if the electrical system is not 100% when it's cold, you will not get the spart hot enough to get fire... also if the motor is not turning over fast enough, the decompression system will not close properly... have you looked at the choke system, is it choking the engine fully ???

The reason I ask this, is because after rebuilding my engine, I had bad cold weather starting issues, & went as far as to look into a primer... the "toy stores" that sell sleds & quads, can order aftermarket sled primers, & the kits are much cheaper & easier to get, than the Canadian Kawi Primer set ups...

I'm not still totally satisfied with how mine starts, but it made a huge difference, when I replaced my battery...

Old 03-02-2004, 02:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

My battery appears to crank over just fine, you can pull the choke on and spin it until your hearts desire and it will not start until you touch the throttle ( common I hear after reading these threads day and night) it's just having to hang onto the throttle after it starts for 30 to 40 secs with it coughing that bothers me. I've never had this with any of my other machines. I use mine exclusively in the winter and fall so I need to resolve. I know the choke cable feels smooth with nobinding and it will affect how it will run after starting, meaning if i move the choke around it will begin to flood or stall out but i will go back and try to verify the cables not malfunctioning. The funny thing is it would seem to me the choke cable problem would only affect the ability to turn off the choke completely. I also have looked over all the wiring and its clean, no corrosion anywhere. It was spotless when I bought it but i admit I was clueless as to the starting issues in general before I bought.

Old 03-02-2004, 03:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

One thing you mentioned i'm not sure of how to check for would be is it fully choked? meaning is the choke plunger pulled all the wat out? also would changing the pilot jet up one size affect how much gas is pulled through the choke circuit? what would be the side affect?

Old 03-02-2004, 05:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Try covering the snorkle(air intake), with a mitten, or your hat, or whatever on the next cold start. That will act like a real choke, and should help start and warm it up.
Try adjusting the pilot screw out a 1/4 or 1/2 turn, that may richen it up enough.Usually this much wont hurt drivability.
Try starting at 1/4 throttle,this gets the mid range jets invovled,and that will richen it up also.
Sometimes the service manual will give directions on adjusting the enrichener, but basicly, if itll kill a warm motor at idle...its working.
These are all pretty much free things to try....could save you a bit of money, over buying a new carb.

Old 03-02-2004, 08:39 PM
Trailblazer

there is a primer on your 02 650 it is on your throttle side down by your idle adjuster

Old 03-02-2004, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

YUNK
just had a look on buykawasaki.com under parts diagram and it didnt list the pump under parts but under carburater it shows part # 16146-1225 as cover assy, priming. now it shows in the box all of the primer parts but it doesn't show the bowl. the bowl would be necessary to install pump. check to see if it is encluded under that part # . it is listed as cdn meaning as canadian cold weather part.i am surprised that you live in wisconsin and your carb is without the primer. i had brought up the topic to see where the deviding line was between south and north sales with or without primers on carbs and there were few replys. all of canada , alaska, new york state and i believe minnasota have them. a bigger pilot jet would help and a lot cheaper, and it seems that you are capable of changing them.

Old 03-03-2004, 01:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

I found the same parts and also wondered about if the bowl was included so I guess a stop into the dealer is in order. I will probably start out trying one size up on the pilot jet just to know the effect and learn more and I will report it here later. Thanks a bunch for you help up to now...........Tom