Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

New aftermarket Prairie camshafts

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 02:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New aftermarket Prairie camshafts

With the advent of the new CDI, that has yet to be released, I was wondering if they(cam manufacturers)were going to release a larger cam to take advantage of the new timing map. As far as I know, there is only Webb, and PBR(same thing, right?), besides Mickey Dunlap's, which are only for his big bore kits. Can somebody clear the air on this. If I am going to be putting out the money for the CDI, I want to take full advantage of the new timing map, by making it breathe!

Old 03-15-2004, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider

Mikey's cams are for raised compression engines, not just for big bore. He has stock sized high comp pistons that allow you to use his cams.

You can get Vforce cams, which are like the P700 cams except retarded 10* for more high rpm horsepower. I do not know how Vforce cams compare to Web/PB cams. I do not know how Vforce cams compare to your 20* retarded 650 cams.

I would think that web/pb cams would actually be great. Just because we fix our timing problem doesn't mean we need a different cam than what is already available. You migt consider retarding those cams too.

If you take the heads off, you must get them ported a polished since that is just as important as a better camshaft. They should be done hand in hand to get the most effect.

Heck, if you are gonna take the heads off, just change the pistons to high compression ones and get the Mickey cams for the most power. Stock piston is 80mm on the 650. That would do a lot.

Old 03-16-2004, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nyroc,
FYI: I recently shopped around for porting my P650 heads and discovered this is not a cheap mod where I received 3 quotes ranging from $500 to $600 for porting both heads (not including any labor time to remove/re-install the heads). Frankly I was surprised at the cost of porting heads based on my general understanding that what is involved is mostly labor cost. Am I right about my general understanding (the job is mostly just labor cost) or is there some hidden cost involved that justifies the high cost of porting heads?

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-16-2004, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider

It's not so much the labor, as it is the knowledge and skill required to do the job correctly. A bad porting job can make a perfectly good head into junk, and at the very least, make it have LESS performance that the stock head.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]