Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

My P650 Dominated Sport Quads in Muddy XC race!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My P650 Dominated Sport Quads in Muddy XC race!

Thanx to heavy rains and a very muddy course on Sunday, my P650 just walked away from all of the sport quads in the "B class race" at a local cross-country race that lasted 1 hour, 15 minutes (plus 1 lap). Normally, I go to MX tracks to practice and all the sport quads walk past me like I'm standing still...well on Sunday, it was finally my turn to do all the passing! My 4wd and mud tires made all the difference on Sunday.

Out of 17 quads in this B class race, I took 1st place. Other than 3 utility quads (utility class), the rest of this B class race was mostly sport quads including a piped Preditor, a piped Raptor, modded z-400's and 400ex's, etc. It was so wet and muddy on Sunday, 7 of the 17 quads didn't even finish the race. The guy on the raptor told me after the race that when he saw me easily pass him (the first time), he said "I want one of those quads." What a great compliment for the Prairie! Needless to say, I had a great time passing all the sport quads and lighting up the track. With 4wd and mudtires, I could easily pass the sport quads like they were standing still.

And in case you were wondering, I was the only quad in the race with a winch attached to the front...hence the name of my little racing team (Redneck Mafia Racing). For fun, I attached a metal painted number sign on the back of my quad that read "Redneck Mafia Racing" so that all the sport quads would know who passed them as I went by!

The funny thing was that before the B class race, I was told by one of the race organizers that the utility quads would start behind all the other classes (open B, stock B, seniors, youth, etc.) because we are "slower than the rest." It turns out that putting us last at the starting line gave us more opportunity to pass everyone! Talk about fun! I just hope it rains during all of the local cross-country races so that I will have a chance to win some more races against the sport quads!

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-15-2004, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not only did you have 4 X 4, but also reverse, which can play just as important a role, in a muddy race... I hope I see a few wet courses this year as well... congrats...

Old 03-15-2004, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrads on the win

Sounds like you got your DJ's working.

Old 03-15-2004, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shotgun,
Thanx for the kind words and for remembering my jetting/DAJ problem.

To answer your question, Yes (I hope) I have gotten rid of my surging motor problem. After driving to 3 cycle shops around Houston on Friday and Sat morning, I finally found a 132 main jet and installed it on Sat afternoon. I now have 132 ft/ 138 rr jets (I went down 2 sizes). I did not get to test it out before my race on Sunday, but it did run pretty good the first half of my race...then it started surging again during the second half of the race (made me think I was running too rich again on the jets [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] ). After the race, I quickly discovered mud caked up on the inside of my muffler baffle/custom spark arrestor screen and found the DAJ snorkel filters and the Twin Air filter were wet and a little muddy. I think that's what made my quad run rich/start surging at 30mph during the race, but I won't know for sure until I get a chance to do some more timed runs. Hopefully the carbs are set up right now as it was a pain to change the jets (I accidentally stripped out 4 of the 8 carb bowl screws!).

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]