Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

deep water snorkel

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 05:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default deep water snorkel

Anyone have plans or pics of how they made a deep water snorkel and what they used? Last weekend i put my front end under water and drowned out. I dont want to accidentally do this again and was looking at putting somthing in that brought the snorkel up above the plastic.

Thanks

Old 04-01-2004, 08:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

I did the same thing . I't didn't get in the airbox but flooded my belt . It was pretty easy to pull off the front vent and let the water shoot out but it took a while for it to dry enough to ride . Any snorkel help would be nice .

Old 04-01-2004, 10:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

I didnt get my belt wet, just flooded my carbs. Last night i took off the hood and removed the plastic and there really isnt much space to do alot of rerouting the intake. Ive about decided to remove my Cig. lighter and bring the snorkel out of that area. As for the belt vent, i guess doing it on the other side almost the same way. Would sure like some ideas on how others have done this.

Thanks

Old 04-01-2004, 11:54 AM
Trailblazer

I saw in the latest Dirtwheels magazine where some utilities had snorkels so tall they looked like smoke stacks on a big rig. You probably just have to cut the plastic. They were mud bogging and the whole quad was under water. There were several snorkels. Probably for the carbs and belt.

Old 04-01-2004, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you are on the right track but you'll also need to snorkle the vent hoses for the axles so you don't get water in there. I know that from my jeeping days and water contamination in my axles.

Old 04-01-2004, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

& the exhaust, so that you don't suck muddy, gritty water into your cylinders, if it dies while going deep...

Try Looking here...

http://www.highlifter.com/ubbthreads...ev=#Post532094

Old 04-01-2004, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider

WOW!!! where did all that come from ???

if you do a seach when you are there, those southern boys like to play in the gumbo... there are a lot of snorkled quads on that site...

Old 04-01-2004, 11:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well since saturday is the mudhole day, I went ahead and took the dremmel to the plastic tonight. I ended up removing my cig. lighter and bringing the airbox vent up thru that part, and my belt vent on the other side. I ended up cutting the flair off the ends of both stock pipes, put a rubber 3" long hose (with hose clamps on both ends) over the stock pipe and up thru the plastic. Then finished it off with some black PVC coming out. It doesnt look bad for a quickie. Ill try and dress it up in the near future. Ill post some pics in the next few days if anyone else is interested.

Old 04-02-2004, 09:33 AM
Range Rover

Actually your differential vents run up into the airbox if I remember correctly. As long as you have that sealed and snorkeled, you should be fine. I have my 03 Prairie snorkeled for deep water. I didn't do the exhaust because the engine provides enough pressure to keep the water out. If it dies under water, then I have a problem. Most of my deep water adventures are going across river channels where I am constantly on the gas. I didn't have to remove my cig ligher. I used a bunch of 45 degree plumming elbows and some straight pvc pipe to do mine. I have all of them running up the center just in front of the handle bars. It looks quite nice and I get compiments on it quite often. I have been hired to do a couple other Prairies in my group. LOL I can get some pics of it if you guys want. It sort of looks like a rhino horn coming up out of the front.

Old 04-02-2004, 10:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

ARRRG now you show up. hehe. Yea i would love some pics of it. Although its too late to change the location of them now, i would love to see how you did it. As for all the bends and such, i just didnt see any way to squeeze pvc between the chassis and the plastic. Maybe i should of been alittle more patient with this project.

But pictures would be great.
Thanks

David

Quick Reply: deep water snorkel