Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Best P650 suspension modifications for trail riding

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 12:04 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best P650 suspension modifications for trail riding

The 26" ATR's are brand new.. just came out! I've been holding off on getting new tires, because I wanted ATR's, but also wanted a little beefier tire... These new ATR's are 26x10 ft, and 26x12 rr.... so you get a bit more bite! It should work REALLY well with my new CDI... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-12-2004, 03:17 PM
Trailblazer

IMO springs and tires are the most important for trail riding.

Old 04-12-2004, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

Instead of Elka, or Progressive, springs, you might want to try custom built strut cartridges from Works Suspension. I just ordered them for my '03 P650 today. There is a 2-3 week lead time for them to make them, so I cannot vouch for the ride/ handling quality. However, I'll post as soon as I have them and get them installed. They custom build them for your weight and riding style. Cost was $279/ pair

Old 04-12-2004, 05:08 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Vengence,

You seem to really like those ATR's. I'm looking to upgrade my new (undelivered) prairies tires. Tell me more. Would they be durable enough to drive through a logging cut to retrieve a moose or deer without getting flats. I know they have the rimguard, how well do they work off the trail.

Old 04-12-2004, 10:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Adirondack,

I have not ordered the elka's. What is the benifit to the works. Are they triple rate? I've been quoted the elka's from powersports at $220 a pair if I combine with some other goodies.

Old 04-12-2004, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

Garageman,

The Works Suspension units are not springs. They are actual strut cartridges. They are rebuildable. Stock are not. They are custom built for your weight and riding style. They offer improved damping and rebound control over the stock units. Also, they can be stiffened by increasing air pressure, kind of like an air shock on a pickup truck. This is handy if you are going to carry heavy weight on your front rack. In my case, they are being built taking into consideration the weight of my winch, my weight with riding gear on, ie. boots, helmet, etc.., and my riding style (fast, aggressive trail riding, with small jumps thrown in). Instead of relying on an aftermarket spring to make up for the short comings of the stock struts, I am going to try aftermarket struts with the stock springs. My choice was an easy one, as I have a blown strut on my P650. I guess I am a little hard on it. I've already had to have my rear shock rebuilt, and have now blown a strut. Too fast, too hard?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Anyhow, there is a 2-3 week lead time on the struts. So I will not be able to post on how they compare to stock for a little while. Once I have them in, I will post back here and on kawieriders. The price for the works strut cartridges are $279 for the pair. I suppose you could always add the Elka springs to the Works struts and have an ultimate setup. Assuming you just won the lottery of course[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img].

Old 04-13-2004, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

I paid $225 straight from Elka. The way I understand it, you need to tell Yann your weight and what you carry on the front to get the right springs combo. That's what he told me when I ordered. Really like them...haven't experienced any of the problems I've read about on the forum with them. None.

Old 04-13-2004, 09:00 AM
Range Rover

Hemi - I don't have the ATR's on my P700 yet.. but I have ridden 2 other P650's I ride with that have them.... and a P650 with 589's, and a P700 with Mudlites. The places we ride are mixed bag of crap...from trails, to corn fields, mud pits, streams, rocky hills, and even through the woods climbing trees..(or going through them! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ) Out of those tires mentioned.. I like the ATR's best. I've read alot on this forum about flats, and out of round with the ATR's, but neither of the two Prairies I've ridden with them have had issues. Plus, I talked to ITP about the 26" ATR's, and they said they are beefier in the sidewalls then the 25". I've just been waiting for the 26" ATR's to come out...
Here are my 2cnt on the tires I've ridden on Prairies:

- 25" Stock Dun-craps - flimsy tire, sidewall rolls out too much, not good in the mud.
- 25" ATR - Solid tire, great sporting trail tire!, MUCH better then stock in the mud and snow, (and everything else too!), not for deep mud.
- 26" Mudlite - decent tire, not real sporty... vibrates a bit, Great in mud, slips on wet grass.
- 26" 589 - Hard tire.. great for mud, crap for sporting... slips on side slopes, unpredictable in rutted trails!!! VIBRATE!!

I'm deffiantely going with the 26" ATR's.... unless I switch to Bighorn radials... but they are alot heavier!