Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

I need all the info you can give on a kfx 400

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need all the info you can give on a kfx 400

Ok, Well I have a scrammy right now..but I'm going to sell it and get a new quad..I was looking at the 450R but the more I think about it..I think I want something with electric start and reverse since I do a lot of trail riding...so I have some questions about the kfx 400

1. Around how much do the 2004's retail at???
2. What is the top speed stock??
3. What colors can you get for the plastic?
4. Are they comfortable to ride??? (I ride all day so I wouldn't mind being comfortable
5. How do they shift...I want something that shifts pretty smooth
6. What is the dry weight for it???
7. Has anyone had any problems or no any problems with the kfx 400?
8. How is handling?? Handling at high speeds...turns..etc....
9. Does it climb hills good and would it make a good trail quad???
10. I love wheelies...is it easy to get the front end in the air??
11. Last one~ would it be worth buying???

So if you can answer any of these questions it would help me a lot...cuz I'm going shopping and I need to find a quad thats going to work for me....Thanks

Quadracer

Old 04-04-2004, 05:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

1, 3 and 6 you can find on thier website

Old 04-04-2004, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider

1. Around how much do the 2004's retail at??? *website says $5600.00 MSRP*
2. What is the top speed stock?? *ive heard people saying around 70*
3. What colors can you get for the plastic? *orange or green*
4. Are they comfortable to ride??? (I ride all day so I wouldn't mind being comfortable *i can amagine there comfortable..*
5. How do they shift...I want something that shifts pretty smooth *probably*
6. What is the dry weight for it??? *375 pounds*
7. Has anyone had any problems or no any problems with the kfx 400? *i havent seen any body with much problems*
8. How is handling?? Handling at high speeds...turns..etc.... *supposedly very good handling.. dunno i cant say any thing personally*
9. Does it climb hills good and would it make a good trail quad??? *yes its light and fast*
10. I love wheelies...is it easy to get the front end in the air?? *VERY easy*
11. Last one~ would it be worth buying??? *if u can afford YES.. if u got another grand get the kfx 700*

Old 04-04-2004, 06:33 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1,3,6 are on the website.

This is probably the best bike for the recreational trail rider. Great handling, good power, etc. Go for it.

Old 04-04-2004, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: quadracer18
Ok, Well I have a scrammy right now..but I'm going to sell it and get a new quad..I was looking at the 450R but the more I think about it..I think I want something with electric start and reverse since I do a lot of trail riding...so I have some questions about the kfx 400

1. Around how much do the 2004's retail at???
2. What is the top speed stock??
3. What colors can you get for the plastic?
4. Are they comfortable to ride??? (I ride all day so I wouldn't mind being comfortable
5. How do they shift...I want something that shifts pretty smooth
6. What is the dry weight for it???
7. Has anyone had any problems or no any problems with the kfx 400?
8. How is handling?? Handling at high speeds...turns..etc....
9. Does it climb hills good and would it make a good trail quad???
10. I love wheelies...is it easy to get the front end in the air??
11. Last one~ would it be worth buying???

So if you can answer any of these questions it would help me a lot...cuz I'm going shopping and I need to find a quad thats going to work for me....Thanks

Quadracer

1.I paid around $5600 out the door forget exact amout now.
2.Top speed around 70mhp
3.Z400 comes in yellow and white-kfx400 comes in green and orange-dvx400 comes in red.(these are all the same machines with different plastic's).
4.Yes they are very comfortable infact the most comfortable quad I have ever rode.Easy to ride wheelies and quad ballance.
5.Shifting is pretty smooth 5 speed manual trans.
6.168kg (370 lbs.) dry weight specs ------> clcik for specs
7.No problems as of yet in the 03 models there were some frame issues but fixed in 04
8.Handling is ausome the z/kfx/dvx love the trails
9.Yes it climbs hills with a roost of authority.I ride mine in the dunes alot and with a pipe and rejet sand ties etc. you can take any 4-stroke atv out there
10.Once again this is the easyest quad to ride wheelies on.The ballance is perfect and once you find the sweet spot witch is easy you can ride a effort less wheelie as long as you desire.I love wheelies too.Ever try to ride a long wheelie on a Raptor sux.Ballance is all wrong.
11.Very worth the money.Very reliable quad thus far.First production was in 03'.

If you get a chance ride the quad or one like it.Thats how I decided witch quad was right for me.If you lived close to here you could ride mine then I know you would be hooked. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

O yea I noticed on the z400 specs page I listed they have the wrong pic up but the specs are correct.

Old 04-04-2004, 07:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[i]Originally posted by: KFXCarnage7.No problems as of yet in the 03 models there were some frame issues but fixed in 04
8.Handling is ausome the z/kfx/dvx love the trails
9.Yes it climbs hills with a roost of authority.I ride mine in the dunes alot and with a pipe and rejet sand ties etc. you can take any 4-stroke atv out there.
The frame issues were never officially recognized by suzuki, and I have heard from many that there are still problems with the 04 machines. Mostly racers, but a friend of mine has had issues with his 04 kfx and all he has done is trail riding. Another friend had frame issues on an 03 z from the local mx track.

Its a quick bike with good power, but will lose in a race to all of the big bores and the 450's.

Old 04-04-2004, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

Stock for stock it will lose in a drag race against the big bores in a straight drag.
On the track etc. it depends on the rider.

Old 04-04-2004, 10:53 PM
Range Rover

Howdy,
I was at a cross country race at Dirt Dogs in Rock Island, Tx. today and there were 4 Polaris Predators and 2 KFXs entered in their classes. The stock(except for the rear tires) KFX won first place. The Predators ran well but the old Kaw took them in the rough stuff. Have a goodun!!

Old 04-04-2004, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

Kewl I wish I could have been there.Were is Dirt Dogs in Rock Island, Tx?How often do they have these cross country races and are they sponserd?Never heard of Rock Island.

Old 04-05-2004, 12:38 AM
Trailblazer

[quote]
Originally posted by: KFXCarnage
[quote]
[b]Originally posted by: quadracer18

1. Around how much do the 2004's retail at??? Suzuki Z400's are going for $5300 out the door, Kaw's seem to be about $200 more
2. What is the top speed stock?? We GPS'ed my buddies stock KFX400 last weekend at 61 mph, I am having trouble believing it will do 70.
3. What colors can you get for the plastic? Green or Orange for Kaw, Suzuki is white or yellow, Artic Cat is the same bike with wacky plastic
4. Are they comfortable to ride??? (I ride all day so I wouldn't mind being comfortable It is cramped if your over 6 feet, otherwise comfy
5. How do they shift...I want something that shifts pretty smooth Shifts nice, easy clutch, smooth no-clutch power shifts are easy
6. What is the dry weight for it??? 372 pounds
7. Has anyone had any problems or no any problems with the kfx 400? No problems, early Suzukis had soft axles, some guys are cracking shock mounts if they race moto cross
8. How is handling?? Handling at high speeds...turns..etc.... Handles great, one of the best out there
9. Does it climb hills good and would it make a good trail quad??? Climbs hills great if you have a good run, stalls easy, because of light flywheel if your big like me, front end comes up easy on hills.
10. I love wheelies...is it easy to get the front end in the air?? Comes up very easy, simply give the thumb throttle a healthy stab
11. Last one~ would it be worth buying??? It is a great bike for the money.

I used to have a Polaris Scrambler and liked it alot, I then got a Suzuki Z400 and really liked it too, totally different type of bike. the V-force came out 6 months later and I traded. I really love the big V. If you liked the Auto tranny Polaris, you will probably like the V-force better then the 400. Also, the Polaris and the V-force are similar in size and comfy for me (6 ft, 240 lbs lardo) teh 400 feels tiny in comparison. Good luck with your decision.