Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Help a dream come true

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help a dream come true

Originally posted by: OldmanWheeler
Miss Brooke Hansen from Fort Dodge, IA Brookes’ mom, Carla Hansen, has breast cancer and has had her physical ups and downs this past year. One thing that has kept Mrs. Hansen going is the fact that her daughter, Brooke, is representing Iowa in the Miss USA contest. Chances are Mrs. Hansen will never be able to see any of her daughters get married or have the opportunity to enjoy her grandchildren; this pageant is probably the closest thing Carla will ever be able to experience. Those who make the 12 Hours of ATV America possible are asking that you take a moment and go to 'Miss USA Pagent' and vote for Brooke, Miss Iowa
Thanks for your time and your help.
Devil's advocate. There's a guy like me in every crowd, yeah, but I have to look at the other side and see if this is the right thing to do. Yes, miss Iowa is pretty... It is hard to disagree with the stated objective without sounding heartless or unfeeling but I want to look at the whole picture.
With all due compassion for Brooks' mother in her condition, is it fair to the other contestants to stack votes for one contestant, based not on the qualities that we are supposed to be judging, but based on the 'sympathy card'? What hardships are the other contestants overcoming that we are not privy to? Out of fifty contestants there are sure to be other such tales of pathos. Or are any of those other contestants less deserving the win because they may not have a sick mother, no matter how photogenic they might be?
When we jump the rules to unfairly advantage one, there is always somebody else that is unfairly disadvantaged thereby. I think this is one of those situations where fast tracking one seems like the right thing to do but in fact it may end up taking a title from a more deserving woman. Not the one with the saddest family story we know of, but the one who is most photogenic.
And consider this... Would Brooks mother be proud to hear that her daughter won 'miss photogenic' due to votes flooding in from a special interest group who stacked the deck for her daughter because of her cancer? Or is she to be kept in the dark about it?

Old 04-07-2004, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider

GLEN... while I agree with you in theory, ...

1st off...look at the picture...Brooke is a babe, even though I'm sorry about her mothers condition...I would not have voted for here if she was the ugly duckling of the group...

2nd ... I have been to Fort Dodge IA several times & met Bob "OLDMAN" on several occasions... even if he had asked me to support a local girl... ( & she was a babe )...I'd have still voted for her...

3rd ... Just by making me aware of the voting, I did vote... I'm positive that I would not have voted, if it weren't for Bob's post... I don't look at it in my situation, any differently than political suporters going out & trying to get more of the voting population to vote ( I'm sure there is a very large percentage of 1st time voters that vote either because then know of the canidate ( in local elections ) or vote the party of the campaign supporters that reached them, & perswaded them to vote in the 1st place...

I feel no guilt, Brooke is a knock out, her picture was tasteful ( not posed with the camera pointing down her top, like several of the others )... I consider here very photogenic... & I do wish her mother the best...

Old 04-07-2004, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider

I only see 2 ladies in this pagent that catch my eye. Miss iowa and Miss oklahoma. Both blond both hot.

Old 04-07-2004, 07:00 PM
Trailblazer

She's got my vote

Old 04-07-2004, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider

She's got my vote....should have said she was going to be at the 12 hour race, you would have had a better turnout. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

We'll pray for Brooks mom. good luck to Brook

Old 04-07-2004, 09:10 PM
Trailblazer

All I can say is WOW!! and yes I voted for her. If she is going to be at the next 12 Hr race I may have to make the long haul to Iowa!! Good Luck to her and her family.

Old 04-07-2004, 09:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Got my Vote She's beautiful [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-07-2004, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

She got my vote

Old 04-07-2004, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I voted

Old 04-07-2004, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

OK OldmanWheeler,,, we need to have a little talk! How come you have never introduced her to me! LOL!!! Nevermind, that question pretty much answers itself! LOL!!!! I voted for her, I agree with the other guys also,, I think we need her as a trophy girl at this years 12 Hour race! You will have to see what you can do! LOL![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Help a dream come true