Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Stupid Human Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid Human Tricks

I put brand new 26 inch Bearclaws on my P700 first ride with them yesterday. Also first ride with my kids new hopped up LT80. We went to the St.Anthony sand dunes the bearclaws do OK in the sand as long as you don't get them spinning too much or else they dig like crazy. They work great reversed though the pattern works supper when they are turned around. Anyhow we were in a pretty flat area because the 80 has 16 inch tires and diggs in too much on the bigger dunes. My daughter was flipping donuts on the 80 having a blast ripping round and round. Will not to be outdone (I HAVE BIG BAD PRAIRIE) I put it in 2-wheel drive and start flipping donuts too. Bearclaws ripping big trenchs in a circle. Getting the tires in pretty deep about second time around the outside rear finds a rock with the side lugs. This activated the slow motion roll and ejection seat feature that comes available on all big utility quads when opperated by show offs. The quad came over in what felt like slow motion and as I hit the ground on my right shoulder I was able to prevent the quad from rolling on top of me by kicking the handle bars. The quad came to rest on it's side with me laying there looking at it. First time I have tipped it over. My graceful landing caused a mild shoulder seperation that hurts pretty good still today. We tipped it back on the wheels cleaned the sand out of the controls on the handle bars and restarted it. Rode back to the trailer and let the kids play for a while near the truck. Lesson big lugs do grab things and have to be considered when riding. I have spun donuts on this quad since the day I bought it might be why the first thing my daughter did when she test drove the 80 was flip two donuts. The stock tires you just had to watch the sidewall roll. Anyhow was probably pretty funny to see, no damge done to the prairie and I will ride this weekend somewhere. Although my wife isn't amused at old guy riding like kid, ride home involved long lecture, only ended when she was reminded who totalled her snowmachine twice.

Old 04-09-2004, 01:07 PM
Trailblazer

I see in your signature that you are "devoted to the extiction of tree-huggers"
Well as testimony to the fact you are not alone in creating carnage last weekend
on a large trail ride i came to a group of people stopped in the woods....well i thought
i'd show how well I ride wheelie in the woods and did....right into the tree i didnt see...ouch
Well i guess we all mess up and now there is one tree out in the woods that could use a hug

Old 04-09-2004, 01:14 PM
Range Rover

Glad to hear you came out of the ordeal ok
Probably hurt yer pride more than anything
First time I rolled I put my foot out to try and save it...BIG MISTAKE
I was limping for 3 months
I"ve learned just to let her go and get the hell out of the way

Old 04-09-2004, 01:28 PM
Trailblazer

Kaw,

It is hard to undo years of motorcycle skills when riding an atv. I have put my foot out and almost run myself over. Old motorcycle habit.

Dirt,

I did some donuts in northern Wisconsin this winter, round and round, until I turned it completely upside down. That 650 is hard to get right side up. No damage to either me or the machine. Won't stop me from playing hard.

Old 04-09-2004, 02:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have a bigger stupid human trick. I was over where the city compost pile was and there is a big clear lose dirt area and I had my bomb at the time and I wanted to do a donut...I got around once and the back end broke loose a little and then BAM! four wheel drive kicked in and over she went...throwing me from it...not injured but a few scratchs. I also have flipped the TB doing donuts in the snow...I dont think I have ever had the magnum on its side yet...maybe I should work on that lol

Old 04-09-2004, 02:56 PM
Trailblazer

Dirt- I did the same thing last summer, riding in an old abandon gravel pit. I was on my 5-6 rotation when that damn "slow motion roll and ejection seat" kicked in. The bike just laid on its side. My landing was much more gracefull, I rolled twice and jumped up. Only to land in a rut ,sprain my ankle and fall back on my a$$! It was classic [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]!!!! As if that wasn't enough an hour later i rolled down a 20 foot hill sideways, seperating my shoulder and bruising ribs in the process. But man the bike took a beating and came out with one scratch on the rear rack and a few on the plastic! Nothing bent or broken I was impressed!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-09-2004, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

I am going to buy the CDI soon and do the muffler mod and snorkel too. Just not tell the wife until it's done that way she can't try to tell me how I will kill myself while she suggests other uses for the money. Just what I need then I can do the rear over the rack ejection seat trick when I wheelie it over. I figure I might as well get the most from this unexpected feature. Don't even think about suggesting a roll cage they look dumb and added unneeded weight. Besides that might encourage even dumber Stupid Human tricks.

Old 04-10-2004, 08:55 AM
Trailblazer

Gotta tell my story too. Only little incident on the P700 was pulling into a friends yard where a bunch of people were hanging out and wheelying into a utility trailer. I almost got her stopped before I hit it!

That's not the funny story though. Before the P700, I had a 1999 Suzuki 500 4X4 standard shift. You know, the kind that are always in 4-wheel drive. Well, my buddy had a 500 Quadmaster automatic. He could put his in 2-wheel drive. We were down in the woods riding one day. We had both had our machines maybe 4-6 months. The trails were muddy and he was sliding and doing donuts all over the place. Everytime I would try to get mine to come around in a donut, it would just go straight. He was laughing at me because I couldn't play and he could. I thought thay really sucked. So, we were headed out of the woods into this flat grassy area. We are running about 30 mph and I am in the lead. As I come out of the trail onto the grass, I have a brilliant idea: POWERSLIDE!!!!

I stomp the foot brake. You know - the REAR foot brake. It never occured to me that the machine was 4-wheel drive all the time and whatever the rear tires do, the front tires do also. Yep, locked up the front tires running 30 mph. Thank God I was in the grass! Anyway, the rear of the machine is off the ground at about a 45° angle and coming over before I can realize what I have done and react to it. I get off the brake and nail the throttle. Seemed like the thing to do. Pull out of it, right? Well, it only made me go faster and farther before the inevitable happened and over she came! My buddy said I carried it on the front wheels with the a$$ in the air for probably 75 feet or so. He said it looked great until it came over on me, and that part was pretty ugly.

I slid for a ways folded up with that 650 lbs on top of me. When it all ended, the bike was still on top of me and my buddy helped get it off of me and rolled back over. I rolled around on the ground for minute trying to catch my breath - it knocked the wind out of me. When it was all over and I was back on my feet, we laughed about it. Damn, that hurt! I told him that if I would have pulled out of it, I was going to tell him that I practice endos all the time when no one is around, I just didn;t want to show off! Yeah - Right.

Famous last words of a Redneck - "HEY YA'LL - WATCH THIS!!!!"

Old 04-10-2004, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider

I have never done a donut on a 4x4 until this last winter. I was on my Uncles Sportsman H.O., and man won't that make you dizzy!!

When I had my 02 TBlazer and my cousin had his Warrior we would haul hiney down a packed snowsled trail and swerve into the snowbanks and the quads would usually flip and send us flying into a few feet of soft powder. We got the wind knocked out of us a couple times, but it was still fun and funny as hell.