Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

dial a jets good, bad, indifferent?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 12:12 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dial a jets good, bad, indifferent?

What are your opinions on the DAJ? I did a search but didn't find what exactly I was looking for. I know they run about $120. I don't know a lot else though. I ride either at sea level or from 5000 to 12000+ feet so that is why I am very interested. I have rejeted mine but I don't like the hassle of having to do so. Since I do ride in such extreme diffs in alltitudes, I suspect these would be ideal. My bike runs extremely rich going from MO to CO or UT. I know this hurts my fuel mileage. So what does it cost to get one installed (guess) how easily does it work. How do you adjust it for altitude changes and whatever else you guys can answer. Is there any great performance advantage or DISadvantages? Thanks Sam

Old 04-12-2004, 02:30 AM
Pro Rider

Right now i'm indifferent since i kinda messed up the install. You need to put the two snorkels in a place that gets plenty of air (DUH!!!!) . I put mine behind my airbox thinking that they would be well protected from the mud/water. They were but they are also very well protected from AIR!!!!! Mine ran extreamly rich like this and i foulded my pluges when i adjusted the Dial-a-Jets in the wrong direction. I'm moving them to the area beside my intake snorkle. This will be less protected from mud and water but at least i'd get air........ I'm so dense sometimes......

I went with Dial-a-Jets hoping that i could leave my stock jets in. Right now it looks like i'll have to drop a jet size or two anyway, even with the mods i have. Remeber you need to be lean jetting wise for the Dial-a-jets to work properly. They are pretty easy, but kinda time consuming to install. IF you place them properly and take you time you should be very happy with the dial-a-jets. If you have a dealer put them in your probly lookin at 2-3 hours of labor. They will charge you that but won't take their time to do a clean and neat install.

Here has a couple pics of the install on my prairie in the ProCircuit folder. Good luck with you decision. I'd recommend them but don't blame me if you don't like them since i screwed up my install [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I'm going to order new plugs and a couple smaller jets then i'll report back.

hope i helped a bit

cart

Old 04-12-2004, 08:45 AM
Trailblazer

I used dial-a-jets for a while and didnt really like them. Whether i didnt have them hooked up right or i just didnt give them a chance, i didnt get better gas mileage nor did i receive better throttle response. Then it started spraying gas in the carb at all times and flooding the engine out. That is when i took the whole system out and said the hell with it.

Old 04-12-2004, 09:19 AM
Pro Rider

I think I have had my DJ's longer than anyone on here, this is my third year. I liked them because when you did a Mod, your could change your jetting easily.

I get a lot of email about Dj's asking for help with them, so as time goes on I'm not so sure about recommending them.

If your rideing at different altitudes or your are constantly modding, then DJ's are the answer.

The thing about Dj's is that you have to rejet to give them room to work. So if you don't do a lot of modding and rideing at different heights than just jet it right and be done with it.

good luck

Old 04-12-2004, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider

I like my DJ's! They make it easier to jet and dial your motor for best performance! They are alittle tricky to install but well worth the time. Take a look on my page I have my setup on there. If have any question let me know. Lon and his wife are a good source for info. He has helped me out greatly!

Cartman308,
Don't put the snorkel filters close to the DG snorkel, there will be turbulance from the DG snorkel that can effect the performanec of the DJ's. If you have your plastic cowling around your handlebars, run them up into there next to your cable lines. It is high above water and draws cool fresh air!

Old 04-12-2004, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

need more tubing [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] thanks for the info. If i don't gett'er running the way i want it by the middle of summer i'm taking them off and jetting up.

cart

Old 04-12-2004, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

cartman308

if you decide to remove them give me a holler i might take them off of you

napa #7335
145f/147.5r jets
dyna cdi
epi black
700p drive spring
warn 2000
plow

Old 04-13-2004, 05:38 AM
Pro Rider

i'll keep ya posted [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-13-2004, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Overally, I'm happy with my DAJs. I installed DAJs at the same time that I did the Nyroc Mod, Twin Air filter, and Napa hose snorkel....honestly, I was a little dissappointed after I first installed the DAJs b/c I was hoping to completely avoid changing my carb jets. As it turns out, I had to go down 2 sizes on my main jets to get the carbs lean enuf to work properly with the DAJs. Now that I have finished changing the main jets, I'm pretty happy with the performance of my mods (including the DAJs). At 300', I can now accelerate about 1.5 quad lengths faster than before I did these mods and I also gained 1 mph at top-speed. Also, I noticed its a little easier to pull a wheelie and my throttle reponse is noticeably crisper with the mods.

If you buy DAJs, just be prepared for the possibility that you might have to change the main jet sizes to lean out the carbs. If you go into it with that understanding, you will be much happier with the DAJs than if its a "surprise" to learn that you need to rejet (at least it was a surprise to me). On the upside, at least I didn't have to mess with shimming the needles or change out the pilot jets to get my DAJs to work properly.

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-12-2004, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider

Mine came with DAJ's installed, not as neatly as yours unfortunately. I'm wondering, I haven't checked yet but whoever installed them I think left the stock jets in, because even on the leanest setting it runs rich, so rich in fact my air box is usually pretty wet with gas. I know its running rich because it bogs from 30-60mph, my buddy crawls past me on his stock machine.
Does anybody think assuming I have stock jets, I could just try unplugging them or kinking the gas lines on the DAJ's just to see how it runs? I'm considering just getting rid of them, I don't live in the mountains, I ride around 300ft elevation. I have no need for them, I didn't even know it had them when I bought it.

Quick Reply: dial a jets good, bad, indifferent?