Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

KFX700 22" vs 24" Extremes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 12:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KFX700 22" vs 24" Extremes?

22" or 24" Extremes?
Went to the dunes with my new Vforce over Easter and found out I need paddles bad. The Vforce is very unforgiving due to it's large amount of torque. ..Which means no hookup. Right now I'm stock. But I will be doing some mods.(pipe, mild clutch work and a little work in the intake area) I just don't want to go too big. Any help in this area will be great... Thanks

Old 04-18-2004, 02:19 PM
Range Rover

I have 22" sand stars. I don't know which 24"s you're thinking about but seriously there is not a hill or wall at glamis that I can find that I can't climb with my 22s, and so my thinking is that the 24"s are not going to give you anything you can't get with 22"s but they are going to take away something in the handling, sliding, and turning departments.

Old 04-18-2004, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider

The 24" Skat Traks only come mounted on an 11" wide wheel, so they are stretched quite wide and that makes them a bit more squatty than they would otherwise be. They are really about 23" tall when mounted on the 11" wide wheels.

It really depends on: 1) where you ride, and what your sand dune area is like; 2) how serious you are about your sand duning, because the 24s cost a bit more.

I ride at Little Sahara, UT, which has some bigger dunes than some other sand dune areas, so I have gone with the 24" Extremes (after first trying 20" paddles, and then 22" paddles). Sand Mountain at Little Sahara is almost 700 ft high, and although the main hill is not that hard to get to the top of, 24" paddles get you to the top faster than either the 20" or 22" paddles will. There are also a number of other hillclimbs that are much much steeper than Sand Mountain itself, and just as tall, such as "The Fingers" hillclimbs on the east side of Sand Mountain. I have never personally seen a 4-stroke ATV climb the fingers hillclimbs, and for the most part they are only climbed by the super high strung 2-strokes. I have seen countless 4-strokes try and fail though, including a host of DS650s, Raptors, YFZs, TRX450s, and even V-Forces. I could not make the fingers hillclimbs with my V-Force with the 20" paddles, the 22" paddles, OR the 24" paddles, with the stock clutch. The bigger the paddle tire was the better I did, but even the 24" Extreme Skat Traks could not get me over the top until I changed to an HPD plain primary clutch spring, Dalton 58 gm clutch weights, and a Dalton overdrive clutch cover. Now my V-Force can climb the fingers quite well (and its never crowded at the top [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]).

So I guess it just depends on how much traction you need, whether it be for drag racing or hillclimbing. One thing to keep in mind though is that paddle tires last forever in the sand, so it might be best to just buy the best the first time around, instead of continually upgrading to better paddles like I did.

Old 04-18-2004, 03:28 PM
Trailblazer

Outerlimit, We ride at the same dunes. It sounds like your setup is what I need, you climb the fingers... and thats one sick hill ... Thanks.

Old 04-18-2004, 03:56 PM
Trailblazer

I use the 24 inch extremes also and Iwas at little sahara for the first time over easter weekend,what a place, got to be my new favorite place, makes dumount look like a sand box, anyway I had the 22 inch extremes for about a year and there wasn't anything at dumount or armagosa that they wouldn't climb, then I went to the 24's and they even better, I did run into a problem a little sahara how ever, some of those hills were so steep that with the 785 kit I would have to let off the gas near the top of the fingers or it wanted to flip over, you will like the 24's or the 22's just as long as you make sure there straight blades,thats the only way to go with the vforce.Hows that HPD primary spring,did I somebody post that it was 6 to8 seconds fast than the dalton blue spring

Old 04-18-2004, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

I did several timed runs up sand mountain, with four different primary springs. The average for the HPD plain spring was 6 seconds faster than the average for the Dalton blue spring on my V-Force. I am using the Dalton 58 gram weights which help bring down the stall and shiftout ratings by about 10 each (stock clutch weights are 54 grams). And I use the Dalton overdrive clutch cover and a 4-Stroke Tech CDI, both of which favor the higher engine RPM that the HPD plain spring gives you.

Dalton found that 56 gram weights worked better with the FST 785 or 800cc big bores, instead of their 58 gram weights. But you can increase the stiffness of the spring to get the same effect of lighter weights, namely, more engine RPM. So I'll bet that your V-Force would work very well with the HPD plain spring. And, ... I'll bet it was you with the wicked fast Lava Red V-Force I heard about at Little Sahara on Easter weekend. I had not even unloaded my Lava Red V-Force from my truck over in Oasis campground and I had twelve people gathering around me asking me if my V-Force was the killer fast V-Force "with a turbo" that had been seen on Sand Mountain. I never saw you that weekend sincityduner, but I heard about you, LOL.

And I have to stand up on the foot pegs, and lean all the way over the handlebars while climbing the fingers to keep the front end down. Those are some seriously steep sand hillclimbs [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 04-18-2004, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you guys are kicking a$$.

I would think the taller the tires the better, clutch should keep you in the right gear,

Taller tires should equal more top speed, and more trackon in the sand because of the size profile.

Hey Mark, how did that 785 work with the Boondockers?

Old 04-19-2004, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

Outer Limit:

I have the same clutch setup plus some Alltoys mill work on the blades and primary faces. Have you tried any Yami rivits in the holes on the levers. I like climbing more than dragging and that is what I am clutched for. I am running 60 grams total in each lever. what have you tried??

Old 04-19-2004, 08:17 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info outerlimit, I think I will order the hpd spring, that was not me with the lava red vforce, mine is orange, although I would like to see my 785 against the turbo would have been interesting. the only testing I have done with nitrous was on flat ground on my little power line drag strip about 600 foot long went from 7400 rpm at the end of the strip to 7900 rpm, the way it acts it would keep on climbing untill it exploded. Have not tried the nitrous button at top speed yet. In the 600 foot run at 7900 rpm. XC800 I like hill climbing the most to,My bike is right around 80 hp with the 785 kit and about 95hp with nitrous, I still feel theres room for a little more hill pulling power, I'm waiting to see how Mickey D's 850cc motor he is building for a customer turns out. are you actually getting a 165 hp out of your vforce.OUTERLIMIT next time you guys go riding at little sahara I would like to come up and ride with you guys , I don't know that area very well.

Old 04-19-2004, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

XC800,
I have a total of 30 of the Yamaha snomobile clutch weight rivets, ranging from 0.3 grams to 4.3 grams each, that I plan to try out. I did not do any experimenting with the rivets on Easter weekend, because that is the kind of work where I would rather take the clutch inside the Weekend Warrior and work on the kitchen table, instead of just doing it out in the sand. It was so crowded on Easter weekend that the closest place we found to camp with our Weekend Warrior was at Oasis Campground (about five miles away from Sand Mountain). That was too far to ride back and forth to Sand Mountain to try out each new combination, so we limited ourselves to just changing out the primary springs at the base of Sand Mountain that weekend. Next time we will camp right at the base of Sand Mountain and will try different weight rivets then. I need to be able to do timed runs up Sand Mountain after each change to know if I am gaining ground or losing ground, but the first combo I want to try is with 62 gram clutch weights and the HPD plain spring.

sincityduner,
That would be alot of fun, and we should plan on it. Although it may be a few weeks before we get back there, because this weekend we have VIP tickets to the Supercross race in Salt Lake City, and the next weekend I have to work, so tentatively we are planning on going back to Little Sahara on the 8th of May.

Quick Reply: KFX700 22" vs 24" Extremes?