Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

I know another tire? Prairie 650

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I know another tire? Prairie 650

Dirtvh is right, if you want one set of tires, 26" is the best compromise of sportyness and offroad performance. 27's are too big for fast sporty riding. Many people won't ride their quad hard/fast enough to know the difference though.
While I have said bearclaws and 589s are outdated, they are decent tires. Bearclaws are a good value for the money and are a good all around performer but not fabulous... 589's are too aggressive of a mud tire for someone who only rides mud on occasion. If you want that aggressive, get a Goodyear Mudrunner. Quality control is there, and smooth ride. A slightly less aggressive - more all around tire is the GBC Dirt Devil. If I had to use one set of tires, I'd use 26x10 and 26x12 dirt devils..

Old 04-26-2004, 05:06 AM
Pro Rider

i ride my 27" bugs just as fast and hard as my 25" atrs.............i'm just a littler more tired after a good ride on the bugs so long as i stay away from mud witht the atrs.

If you do mainly trail riding i'd go with the Bighorns. They are mean tires. From reports of people that have them, there mud performance is acutally pretty dang good!

Throw in a little more mud then 27 mudbugs are the shiznit! they are lighter than 26 don't ask how maxxis did that...........and are really nice trail riders.

Bearclaws are really nice tires also...........i also have them on my wifes Rancher. They last forever, are tough as nails, and offer a pretty smooth ride. The mud performance is much better than stock but nothing like a mudbug. They do everything well but nothing spectacular (sans wear........they last a loooooong time)

IMHO 589's (titan or ITP) are overrated, but you have people that swear by them. I've never been impressed with there performance. I;ve never personally owned a set. Just observed them on many bikes.

Old 04-26-2004, 07:29 AM
Range Rover

I rode in the deepest, stickiest mud I have ever encountered last week. The Bighorns were quite impressive. The Prairie has the power to clean out the tread. I don't think you can get a better all around tire. Or better looking!

Old 04-26-2004, 09:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

Lightman-also thanks for the info-i was researching the reply from KOD-know am looking into the info you gave me.Trying to decide which tire is harder than i thought.

Old 04-26-2004, 09:48 AM
Pro Rider

I was only being a smartazz, dont worry I wasn't upset. Freedog you've gotten some solid advice. The resounding collective voice of the forums says to get 26" as a compromise between mud/sporty, or go 25 if you're mostly sporty or 27 if you're mostly muddy [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] We've said it 7 ways and backwards, so I think you can get the size choice decision made...

Here are the DD's. I think they look cooler than bighorns in person. Are bighorns only 25"??
Dirt Devil picture

DD's are a great value - 6 ply, and 26x10 is only $57, and 26x12 is $66! Tiresunlimited.com had the cheapest price I found in my quick look just now..

Old 04-26-2004, 09:48 AM
Pro Rider

FREE... while LIGHTMAN & I rarely agree on things... I've got to agree with his last post... I rode a set of 26" Mudrunners exclusively for a little over a year... they are one of the most impressive & versitile tires I've riden on ... but also K.O.D. is correct with the Mud Bugs... however, if you are considering the 25", then buy a tire like the Big Horns, or ( my personal new favorite tire ), the Bad Lands radial... either the Big Horns or the Bad Lands will clean out well with a blip of the throttle ( on all but the stickiest mud ), & will pound trails as good as anything...

see this is not easy... partly why I own a whole trailer full of tires / wheels, is because most of these tires will do at least one thing really well, but not everything...LOL...

Old 04-26-2004, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider

I love having two sets! Getting one is like trying to make your SUV race nascar and go mudding...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-26-2004, 10:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

This really sucks----thanks for all the info from all of you. I think i have decided on 26's a compromise between the 25's and 26's----12/9 front and 12/12 backs. Now just have to decide on the brand. So many Bugs,Big horn,Mudlites, Bear claws,Dirt devil wow. I know what you mean bout trying to make a decision this is driving me crazy wish i had enough money to try them all out. Later

Old 04-26-2004, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Freedog
This really sucks----thanks for all the info from all of you. I think i have decided on 26's a compromise between the 25's and 26's----12/9 front and 12/12 backs. Now just have to decide on the brand. So many Bugs,Big horn,Mudlites, Bear claws,Dirt devil wow. I know what you mean bout trying to make a decision this is driving me crazy wish i had enough money to try them all out. Later
I think you should choose between bighorns and dirt devils....bear claws dont do anything better than any of the other tires you listed, mudlites carry ITP's shady quality control and rumored quick wear, and mudbugs may be too much of a mud tire for you, although they do supposedly ride very nicely.

Old 04-26-2004, 09:36 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Freedog
It's probably worth mentioning that not all tires measure a true 25", 26", 27", etc. I've heard that the 26" Devils are only 241/2". Also that the rears are shorter/taller than the front. I think I've heard similar things about Bearclaws? I can tell you that the 25" Bighorns are the same height as stockers and wider than stock. Just something to think about.

Quick Reply: I know another tire? Prairie 650