Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

I know another tire? Prairie 650

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 10:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I know another tire? Prairie 650

I am going to get new tires but need help deciding. Thinkin bout the bear claws,589 and big horn. Then sizes for the tires front and backs fairly new to all this. 25's or 26's. Will be trail riding, some mud and occasionally on pavement and hardpack. Any other suggestions on tires these are the ones that seem to be the most popular amongst everyone. Thank you.

Old 04-25-2004, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider

I loved my Bear Claws, but I am anxious to try the big horns. I did the same kind of riding you are talking about, and the 26 inch Bear Claws worked awesome. 26 Bear Claws really measure 25.

Old 04-25-2004, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

If you are remotely thinking about 589s then you should highly think about the Mudbugs. I have had both sets and much prefer the Mudbugs over the 589s. When it comes to mudding you will be disappointed with the Big Horns and Bear Claws. The Mudbugs are also lighter which will give less power loss than the others. Mudbugs give a decent ride on hard pack for a tractor type tread design.

Mudbugs have been out for a long time and seem to be forgotten as new tires like the Bighorns come out. Go to this forum to find out more questions about tires www.highlifter.com

Old 04-25-2004, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

If your mud riding is minimal, get 25's. If you do say 15-20% muddy trails, get 26. From your riding description, you are probably choosing too aggressive of a mud type tire, and will lose some trail performance/ride. 589s and bearclaws are so outdated its not even funny. Get a new lot to choose from. Bighorns were the only good choice you mentioned IMO. Throw in there dirt devils (great value and tire), mudrunners, all traks, etc and re-evaluate your choice..

Old 04-25-2004, 07:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Kiss of death --thanks for the reply-on the bugs if i go with 26's what sizes for front and back and also what sizes for the 25's. What are the advantages of the 26's over 25's ----later

Old 04-25-2004, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider

Since they will be going on your P650 I "HIGHLY" suggest the 27" Mudbug. Reasons being it is less weight than the 26" and gives more ground clearance than the 25 or 26. You get the best of both worlds with the 27" version. If you didnt want to go that tall for whatever reason I would suggest the 25". 25" will have the same lug depth as the 26" and 27" in a much lighter package. If you were in a race with another utility atv the 25" would be faster than the other two, if you were in a mud bogging rivalry the 27" would outperform the other two. The ride should be the same with any size mudbug.

But, to answer your question, between the 25" and 26" mudbug I would choose the 25" and have an 8" up front and 10" in back.

Old 04-25-2004, 11:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

KOD thanks again----------the 25's sound good but with the 27's will i lose performance and will the 27's fit on the stock rims without lift kit.

Old 04-25-2004, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

lol yeah youre welcome freedog

Old 04-25-2004, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

You know I looked for a long time I did not need hard core mudders but wanted more than the stock tires. I needed a good rock tire that was tough and I needed them to last because I can't buy a new set every year. I didn't want to lose much performance so I didn't want to go bigger than 26 but did like the slightly bigger look. I wanted more foot print so I went 12 inch wide in back, but didn't want it to be too tough to steer for when my wife rides it so I put 9 inch wide on front. So for me I decided the Bear Calws best meet my trail needs. I am still going to buy some All Tracks for racing it soon I hope. I ride mountain trails, a little mud, some deep snow and sand sometimes. You just need to read and see what does best where then figure which tire is the best compromise for you. (Ideal world I would have 3 or 4 different sets of tires to switch depending on where we were riding that day) Good luck this drove me crazy for weeks until I decided, I am happy with my choice.

Old 04-25-2004, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

Freedog, lightman is pissed because you ignored his comment. Please address him so he can get some sleep tonight.

Now that thats out of the way "lol" yes you will loose some performance going with the larger tires even on your P650. You will loose power across the board and have more body roll with the larger sidewalls. Trade off is you have more ground clearance. I have rode a long time and take it from me, if you mud ride and look for mud to get in everytime you ride the get the 27" tires, if you occasionally get in mud and dont go looking for it get the 25" set.

lightman, dont take it personal, its only the internet.

Quick Reply: I know another tire? Prairie 650