Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Wheel Spacers...The Truth

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 07:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Spacers...The Truth

Hey all,

Wheel Spacers...I'm thinking about EZ fit DURABLUE wheel spacers for the lakota, she'd look so fine if she was nice and wide....

BUT

I here so many different things about wheel spacers like...
"they mess the handling up"
"they break your axle"
"they dont do anything"
and im not saying these arent true....but I need to know for sure....because i dont want to spend over $100 to make my machine worse.....rather then better

So anybody with wheelspacer experiance, epecially with the lakota or mojave, please gimme your 2 cents
thanks
~Chris~

Old 04-26-2004, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider

BIG... here are some wheel spacer basics...

wheel spacers, like extended axels, will typically increase the stability of your quad... however they do add alot more stress, by moving the wheels out further... this can be very pronounced on the front end, as the further out the wheels are, the more leverage your A arms have on the suspension... this will cause your shocks & springs to have to work harder, & in some cases be no longer good enough to handle your type of riding, it will effect the rebound & dampaning as well... on the rears, it spreads out the distance between the contact points... this can very quickly expose weak areas ( some axels have holes drilled in them to mount hubs or drive sprokets ) these type of axels can easily bend or break at these weakened points, with the added stress of a wider rear end, when exposed to jumps or whoops sections... the spacers increase the chances of something coming loose, because of all the extra bolts & connections...

I use wheel spacers on my "big" Prairie, but only in mud bog racing, not with trail ride tires, or hare scramble racing tires...

If you want to add width, with out buying extended A arms or rear axels, you can usually do it with wheel offset as well... infact, most front wheels can be turned around & run inside out ( backwards ), if a short enough valve stem is used ( I use something called a stemless valve stem on my spare tires, so that they can be mounted front or rear, & it eliminates the chance of snagging a branch or rock with the valve stem & getting a flat )... fot the cost of wheel spacers, you can usually spend a few more $$$ & get a wheel with a wider offset, which is what I'd recommend over the wheel spacers...

Old 10-19-2006, 03:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi. I'm new here and to atv's as a whole. I have an 06 bf 750. Will that wheel trick work on the front and rear? Or should I just try and mount them and see what happens?

Old 10-19-2006, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

BOOGER... the IRS quads are equal to having front wheels all around... sure you could still flip them... also most aftermarket wheels are like 1" offset different than stock, so they'll widen / thus stabilizing the quad more than the stock wheels do...

Old 10-19-2006, 04:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Excellent. Another weekend project. Thanks. I'll tell you how it goes. The ride is way to "soft". I just want more stability

Old 10-19-2006, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Chris. I had some on the front of my Mojave and it didnt' seem to affect handling to to much. I also had a Durablue axle out back (which is for sale).

Old 10-20-2006, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: rolsmojave3
Hey Chris. I had some on the front of my Mojave and it didnt' seem to affect handling to to much. I also had a Durablue axle out back (which is for sale).
Lol...if you didnt notice rols, the thread is from April 2004 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] lol

Old 10-21-2006, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider

I failed to notice that

Old 10-21-2006, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

right now i have 3 inch wheel spacers on the rear of my raptor, and full lowering kits, i dont jump but for 6 months now its held up perfectly, except for the fact that my rear end fell apart stripping the long screws, but i got new ones and never seized them so they should be fine

To every mod you do, their is either a negative or positve outcome.