Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

How can i get rid of this annoying backfiring?!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 12:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can i get rid of this annoying backfiring?!?!?!?!

I've messed with the fuel/air mixture screws, it doesn't help out the backfiring. It only backfires after i'm WOT or close to it and let off. Than when my idle goes down she pops numerously. It SUcks. I have only the Napa air intake and that's it. Please help!!!!!!! ALso could anyone tell me what Fram filter to use for P700?? Thanks for replies. DIesel

Old 04-27-2004, 01:00 PM
Range Rover

I had the same issue with my P700, and I ended up backing the feul/air screws out another 1/2 turn or so. Then after putting on my CDI she started doing it again.... now I'm out to a total of about 3 1/2 turns out.... no backfiring, but a little soft on topend. So I'm guessing I'm a bit lean on the main jets. I'm getting ready to do the napa hose and Nyroc muffler mod this weekend, so I ordered a set of 142/145 main jets to start with, and may need to shim the needles too.... We'll see.

Remember to set your f/o screws when the engine is warm.... check out nyrocs tech page for the correct method.. it worked for me!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-27-2004, 01:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just was messing with the fuel/air mixture screws again. I warmed up the engine, and kept turning screw out and it didn't help. I am out more than four turns. And i started with the screws tight. I will be going 45, comletely let off and just before she stops rolling or when it is almost idleing it backfires.

Old 04-27-2004, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider

Old 04-27-2004, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

DIESEL... have you also modded the exhaust, as well as the inlet... what you are describing sounds to me like a lean idle circuit... you may ( I do ), need to increase the size of the idle circuit jet...

Old 04-27-2004, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

Hear are a few ideas? 1st~ Are sure you have the right screws? brass flats set back in carbs? Clock wise is closing, counter is opening. Its best to close all the way then start at 2 turns, Then 1/2 turns there after. 2nd~ check for exhaust leaks?(Even those it maybe a new quad? things come loose or wernt tight in the first place?) 3rd~ Check all lines around the carbs (A line could be pinched?) When you installed your Napa hose did you take the air box off? If not? it might be a good time to. Make sure everything is tight Your hose was put on good? No lines are dirty or pinched and even clean and oil your air filter and box. (Might even be a good time for a twin Air?) Dirty air filters can cause some funky problems? I clean mine and beleave they should after EVERY ride! ok~lol Everyother! I beleave this is are what you local Dealer would do? or just rejet and charge you for trouble shooting also~lol. If just turnning the air screws checking and cleaning dont work more then likely you will wanna go up in jet sizes. I run 142/145 and switch back from slip-on to stock pipe and have about the same air box mods with just a few turns of the screws and its fine.( Simply fine tuning with a few more 1/2 turns out if it does back fire.) If you have to? Jetting is VERY easy on the 700 Prairie Just 4 screws on each carb drops the bowel and your in! (Just make sure your screw driver fits perfect on the 4 screws or they will strip). Hope any of this helps and you find the problem. ~coop

www.MarylandATV.com

Prairie 700
TRX 2-Something-R
V-Force--SOLD!
And a bunch of other Toyz!

Old 04-27-2004, 08:51 PM
Range Rover

Good call on the exhaust leak coop. I had a similar problem with my ZRX 1100 with Muzzy 4 into 1 pipe. Ended up being a small metal screw that holds the baffle in place was not sealing properly. Put a dab of silicone over the screw and the backfiring stopped.

Old 04-27-2004, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

Try bumping up the idle setting.

Old 04-27-2004, 10:12 PM
Trailblazer

I use the FRAM PH 6017A oil filter.

Later

gil[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-28-2004, 09:04 AM
Pro Rider

DIESEL... Check your valve adjustment... here is a portion of another post off another forum... as new as your quad is, it shouldn't be backfiring that way...

"Well he went and did it. After hemming and hawing for several years and watching all his friends buy new machines our friend Mike finally bought his dream ride, a 2004 Kawasaki Prairie 700. Two days and just 68 short miles and BLAM rocker arm in one of the cylinders came off and ended a great day of riding.

He's been in contact with the dealer (who came and picked the machine up on the trail no less) and the manufacturer and the machine will be replaced, for free. Thats good, didn't save him the ration of crow we all fed him for the rest of that day however.

Here's what I know so far and what you should know.

The machine had been backfiring quite a bit since he picked it up. Whenever he was riding fast and let off the throttle it was like a gun going off, that bad! When this thing finally let loose it dumped about 2 gallons of fuel through the motor in the process of sputtering to a stop. We had just filled up so it was easy to tell that this had happened. The machine would turn over but made some horrible noises doing so. Kaw dealer had his shop on it that day and had it apart and said at first that they would fix it. Mike decided to call Kaw direct and he's getting a new ride now. Apparently there is a string of 10 to 12 machines that had bad motors from the factory. Does that mean that Kaw has found them all or are they still out there? Who knows? "

Quick Reply: How can i get rid of this annoying backfiring?!?!?!?!