Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Put the 750 to the test!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Put the 750 to the test!

And it passed with flying 80mph. colors![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

This pass weekend I went to upstate NY (Tug Hill/ Lyonns Falls) with 6 other friends. There were 2 650 Prairies, 2 700 Sportmans, 2 660 Grizzleys, and 1 750 Prairie[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]. The weekend was great!! The weather was good and so was the riding. We put on 175 miles in 2 days. Most of it was fullbore, flat out, like you stole your machine riding!!! We would go 10-12 miles at a clip. I average 6500 to 8000 rpms. with out a single miss in the throttle! She ran awesome!

I could pass at will when there was an opening. I tried not to roost rocks but it was hard not to with all that torque! They told me even at 60mph. it would roost stones when I got on it! I opend it up once on a flat paved road and got 80mph. on the speedo and 9050rpms. on the tach. The motor really screams!! I took it easy on it most of the time. I could have hit the rev limiter but I choosed not too. It gets better gas mileage now with the mods, I don't have to keep it peg constantly to keep up. My buddies would draft together about 67-68mph. and I could cruise on buy at 75mph. with no problem at 3/4 throttle. I went threw about 13 gals. of 94 octane in a 175 miles. That is an average of 13.5 MPG, not to bad for a big bore!

We hit some muddy trails also, I had to get winched out of a mud hole once. The Alltracs really aren't mudd tires though. My buddy that I sold my ATR's was with us and by the end of the trip he had 5 plugs in the back 2 tires. All were on the side walls. He is calling ITP to see what they say!

The dual air intake worked great too! It was very dusty, some times you couldn't see 2 feet in front of you. For some reason my filter was staying cleaner than my other buddies Prairie's were. I think it has to do with the side holes I have on the bottom of the box on each side, which even out the air from the dual snorkels. They really don't draw air in the allow excess air out. I know my machine pulls alot more air than there's do. I got no water in my airbox. I went threw tire high creeks and mud with no problems. The front filters on my radiator cover blocked out some spalshed up water and mud, they repel it pretty good.

Once I got there I had to adjust my DJ's richer and open up my airscrews a 1/2 turn. After that she ran great the whole weekend. The fan ran maybe 6 times after I shot it off for 30 seconds. That Evans coolant works great! Me and my other 650 buddy have the CDI and did notice the kick back on the start up. Mine works best if I just tap the starter once. I figured it had to do with the CDI's advancing at start up. I did have some oil also in the airbox, but it was expected with the bumpy trails and high rpm's. It never effected performance, just wiped it out with a rag at the end of the day.

There was one little accident that I was involved with. The leader missed a trail and decided to stop right in the middle. When we saw him in the dust it was to late and I just clipped his rear rack with my front corner. I have to bend up the light support of my front bumper and polish up some plastic. Nothing alittle TLC can't handle. Needless to say I had a few choose words for him[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] Besides that a few high speed tire bumps was all!

I let anyone who wanted to take it for a ride. They could believe how fast it hit 60mph! They didn't like the twist throttle either. I like it, once I got use to it. I don't get thumb cramps like before, I can hold on better with 2 hands also. It is alittle tricky in tight bumpy trails with that extra HP, a couple of times a blipped the throttle by accident and I just missed some trees. the more I ride the more I will get use to it.

Can't wait to go back in September! Now it is time to clean her up and set it up for strip! May 15th I will be dragging if the weather holds up. I will post my results the next day. That lighten clutch should really make it scream and ramp up a lot quicker, hopefully I can keep the front end down!

Old 04-27-2004, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

Man, now I want a big bore, lol. Maybe next summer. Sounds like a great trip, any pictures?

Old 04-28-2004, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

WILDWILL.... i know you already have a enormas amount of power and it might be hard to tell but did you notice any gain from the new CDi in your 750?

Old 04-28-2004, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

Heck Yeh! That little box made my mods come to life even more. I really didn't do any testing but I can feel it in my pants and see it on the speedo. It revs so much quicker and has alot more mid and top end pull! At 62mph. and about 7250rpms. it really starts to make some torque, just got to hold on and injoy the rush! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 04-28-2004, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider

Hmmm, very interesting.

Old 04-28-2004, 02:59 AM
Pro Rider

Wildwill,
I see the clutch helped on top end do you feel you could have gone faster, mostly 85.

Old 04-28-2004, 04:51 AM
Pro Rider

Nice. I bet your filter was cleaner because you were out front whopping their asses.

My family owns a lot of land up on Tug Hill and they hunt and ride in deer season. I'm moving back to the East coast in a few weeks so I'll be making it up to Tug Hill this fall too! Can't wait. I was born in Watertown and know the area well. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-28-2004, 07:19 AM
Range Rover

We should get together for a ride on The Hill next time. I was there last week for a poker run held by Barnes Corners Sno Pals. They had over 400 entries. Despite the rain we had a blast. Lots of water holes, mud, snow, and 2 broken Hondas. They have watercross races (snowmobiles on water) twice every summer at the Flat Rock Inn. I'll post the dates when I find out.

Old 04-28-2004, 10:50 AM
Pro Rider

WILD... glad to here it was running so well... do you attribute the extra speed to the CDI... ( I still don't have one... dang tax man )... but I can typically run right up to 8450 rpm, with the stock retarded CDI... I'm speculating gains on mine to be in your area, with the CDI... I'm routing my crank case breather to a seperate filter ( outside of the filterbox ) this week end, as top speed riding with mine is sputtering oil into the filter box...

do you think you need to worry about letting air out of the filterbox, with the dial-a-jet... I'm counting on mine to richen on demand at top speeds, as the air flow increases with my induction system, at WOT ???

Old 04-29-2004, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

bbertram,
I don't have any pictures yet, 2 other buddies are getting some developed. I didn't bring the digital? They are mostly of my buddies doing wheelies in the yard with no helmets, not to smart[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Alltoys,
I haven't even put your modded clutch in yet, it still sits on my work bench! I have a set of 04 clutches with the Dalton faceplate, DKP weights and their blue spring. I think I will start with the DKP weights with one 1gr. weight in the end holes in that modded clutch, and use the blue spring also. If I want to use the Dalton faceplate instead of the stock one, just use one spacer instead of two right? Hopefully this weekend I can get my machined cleaned up from last weekend and start turning some wrenches and get this thing all dialed in before the 15th. Can't wait to crack her open the first time[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I should have no problem reaching 85mph! I figure my speedo is off 1 or 2 mph., maybe I will use my buddies GPS and get a true reading!

Barely legal and sledheadrich,
We are planning the second week end in September. I talk to so of my buddies today, what a great time we had! I still am alittle soar from holding on, but well worth the pain!

NWB,
Before I put in the 04 airbox, CDI and new Alltracs I could get 72 mph. out of her. That was bouncing off the rev limiter. Now I know I can get over 80mph. I still have a 150 rpms. until the rev limiter hits. The Dalton faceplate help me get the belt closer to the top of the front sheave for more top speed also. There is 1/2 inch left on the clutch, that modded clutch will take my 360 belt right to the top! At 80mph. it rides smooth, but Alltoys says above 85mph. it gets hairy! He would know! I don't know if I will get that belt to the top or not! I may run out of ***** [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Talking about the family jewels I think a plate between me and that screaming motor might not be a bad idea!
Let me know how the crankcase filter works for you, I may look into something like that also. The airbox design idea is from Alltoys, he can maybe explan it better than I? The air is forced in throw the front from the snorkels and hits the back of the airbox forcing it back down, like a vortex effect. The holes on the side help equalize the air and allow extra air in when the throttle is cracked open from an idle. The dial a jets will work with any setup you come up with, I use mine for fine tuning mostly!

Quick Reply: Put the 750 to the test!