Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

What breaks first.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 01:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What breaks first.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
What is the first thing i should replace on a 2004 Prarie 700 before it can give me any trouble.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 04-29-2004, 02:00 AM
Pro Rider

Get rid of the stock tires, and front springs!

Old 04-29-2004, 04:19 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing really breaks, but the tires and the secondary clutch spring can be vastly improved on.

Old 04-29-2004, 07:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Interesting} I was thinking about adding 28" tires. Not sure what rim to go with, needs to be a tough one.

What brand or model of front springs are best? Also what model secondary clutch spring would be the best?
And if i go with 28" will i need to use a lift kit, or modify the clutch for the bigger tires?.
As you can tell im new to all this, and am greatful for any help.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-29-2004, 10:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Most riders have replaced the secondary spring in the clutch with an EPI black spring. This mod will help eliminate slippage of the belt, which improves belt life. Even more important is to check the deflection of your belt and add/remove shims till it is right. Search for NYROC's website and you'll fing easy to follow instructions. As for tires I put 26" Mudlites on my stock rims with no problems. They are a big improvement over the stock tires. Again, a search of this website will produce lots of information on this subject. Dynatek has designed a replacement CDI which eliminates the retarded ignition tiiming that the factory hindered your machine with. There are numerous benefits gained from this engine enhancement. Happy trails!

Old 04-29-2004, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

You will not need a lift kit. Even stock rims typically are ok because the 28 589 protects the rims quite well. I would keep an eye on the gear adjuster adjustments when new.

Old 04-29-2004, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

Lift kit not required. Offset rims or wheel spacers are required for 28" tire with monster lugs, like outlaws, mudzillas and vampires. Get some ITP c-series rims, they look hot and work great!!

Old 04-30-2004, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After 1,000 miles, the only thing that has actually BROKEN on my P650 was the left rear axle seal on the rear gearbox. Otherwise, I've had no reliability problems with my quad so far.

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-30-2004, 04:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Most of the NYROC tech tips have been moved HERE!!. Hope this helps!!

Old 04-30-2004, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

OK,
First,
Remove the rear skid plate and make sure you have all the swing arm plugs in place. There is supposed to be one under there. Some 02 & 03's have reported them missing. Mine was. I believe it let water in, then as it escaped, or somehow was forced out it pulled a vacuum on my swing arm boot and collapsed it around the drive shaft and it shredded. I replaced the boot (pain in the "A") and it did it again but I caught it before it shredded. For some reason I removed my rear diff skid plate and noticed the missing plug. I plugged it and have logged many miles and water crossings without it collapsing again.
Second,
Get some real skid plates. I have a bottom full plate by Ricochet and Kawasaki's Aluminum front CV protectors. I think the OE rear diff is ok but could be better, however I have not replaced it yet. The OE belly plates are a joke and leave your oil filter exposed to sticks. Also if you rock crawl they will allow you to flatten out your lower frame tubes. The Ricochet full belly plate extends a tad over 2" more rearward than the OE giving more protection to the swing arm boot. This also may be why I have not had any more shredded boots.
Third,
Check all the fasteners you can get to for tightness. This is a must do for any machine. However there are some 02 & 03 reports of loose motor mount bolts. I had a fender fastener fall out.
I love this machine.

Quick Reply: What breaks first.