Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Sick 650

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 11:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sick 650

Anybody had any experience with this...The Kawi technician at the dealership can't seem to figure it out.

I have an '03 P650 with 55 hours/300 miles on it. It sat most of the past 2 months in the garage unused. I went to start it up last weekend and only had enough electrical power to light the dash..It wouldnt turn over. Suspecting the battery I pulled it out to charge it and found it had lots of juice. A closer inspection showed my 30 amp main fuse essentially blown, although it was allowing enough power through to light the dash.. I changed the fuse and she fired up. I took it for a little spin but the engine was running bad, sputtering and backfiring as soon as I hit about one third throttle....Suspecting the gas was bad I drained the tank and put in fresh gas and ran it till I felt like all the old gas was gone out of the lines...Still no good. While letting it run I noticed a rattle/knocking sound coming from the belt drive area...and coincidentally the check belt light had started to flash...Not wanting to dick around any more with it for fear of voiding my extended warranty, I drove it to my dealer and told him the symptoms..The tech immediatley thought it was the Servo motor ( whatever that does)...I left it with him for a couple of days to figure out/fix..
Last night I called and the service manager said they were stumped...after some checking they didnt think it was the servo motor after all but rather the rev limiter kicking in for an unexplained reason...They said they were putting a call in to Kawasaki to try to get some guidance......

Has anyone else experienced a problem like this and any suggestions for the dealer would be appreciated..

I'll post what I hear back from the dealer.

Old 05-01-2004, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sick 650

A low battery will make your belt light flash, and put you in limp mode. Id ask them if they have another cdi to stick in it to test , More than likely its not your cdi but it is an electrical part , and all electrical parts can fail. Do you have a hole shot module or anything like that hooked to your cdi. If you do remove it and see what happens. My buddies 03 prairie did the same thing , his belt light came on , we reset it and replaced his battery. No problems anymore.Trailride

Old 05-05-2004, 12:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Sick 650

The dealer can't figure it out..Its going into limp mode for some unknown reason..I see the arctic cat 650's have had an issue with going into limp mode for no good reason and there is some plug/fix out by arctic cat..Is there such a thing from Kawi ? My dealer doesnt seem familiar with the limp mode issue..

Any Kawi riders had this problem and found a solution to it ?

PS..I have no mods other than a warn winch installed.....For some reason just before experiencing this my 30 amp main fuse blew as well. I replced it but still have the limp mode issue..

Old 05-05-2004, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sick 650

The problem with the cats is that they have a low voltage spike causing them to go into limp mode.

Remove your battery, put in a new one and reset the limp mode. Try it out.

Old 05-05-2004, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sick 650

mine went into limp mode every time i turned the key on when i had a loose battery connection

Old 05-06-2004, 07:02 AM
Range Rover
Default Sick 650

You have to have 12 volts on electronic systems mininum if you ever took that voltage below that the flying magnet wont make it up ................cause it cant i..........t has to have 12 volts off the git go .......jh

Old 05-06-2004, 08:47 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Sick 650

Thanks for the input..I have passed the battery message on to the dealer..We'll see what happens now..
You would think that might be something the technician would have known ....

Txs. Patto

Old 05-06-2004, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider
Default Sick 650

Alot of the dealers don't know the quirks of a the Praire's. They get more service calls if they don't tell the customer so they don't choose to learn about the problems. This is why this forum rocks so much, so many people that can help.

Old 05-06-2004, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider
Default Sick 650

dood...I bet its the ignition under the front right fender..Ive had a similar experiance with the belt indicator coming on alot..finally found out that the ignition itself(the key unit) was bad..replaced it and it hasnt givin me any problems since..its a pizz poor location for those wires..they get corroded very easily there..