Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

FD Racing wins first harescramble! New pics on my page,check um out!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FD Racing wins first harescramble! New pics on my page,check um out!

Well, last weekend was the first of the seven race harescramble series here in Iowa. We took two Prairies and atvgurl on her 300EX! The track was called The Farm, and it was awsum! Lots of hills, some wide open area,some tight woods,creek crossings, and to top it all off they ran um through some old cattle gates and a pole barn! LOL!!! Very fitting for a track called the Farm! Saturday we went to the track and it rained off and on all day! We walked a portion of the track but it was so muddy a few of the guys fell down and slid down the hills! LOL!!! Anyway,Sunday was race day and the track was still muddy as heII!!!! The race started with the Utility class and Jason and Alex (FD Racing)were on their Prairies and pretty much lead the race from the start till lap 4 when when Alex was going down a hill and hit a small tree stump with the rear tire and it bounced him off the beaten path and he went sliding down the muddy hill with the brakes locked up and he came to a sudden stop when a kind tree jumped out in front of him,,,,race over for him!!!! He hit so hard it brought the bumper back to the radiator, the front diff case shattered somehow, busted the plastic, and cracked my new carbon fiber airbox cover!

Well, we still had Jason on the track and he took over first after Alex's little accident. We looking over Alexs quad in the pits and I was taking a few things off it when all the sudden Jason come flying into the pits screaming FLAT TIRE,,, FLAT TIRE!!! Oh crap,,, no one was ready and we scrambled as fast as we could and ended up changing both front tires and filled it with gas and sent him back out!
At the end of the race we went for awards, we were informed that even after the wreck Alex was far enuf ahead he still finished 9th out of 11 in our class and they told us Jason got third! Third,,,, I have been beating myself up all week because I screwed up in the pits and cost Jason first but I couldn't figure out how we dropped to third, the pit stop didn't seem that long and he was way ahead! Last night I got a call from the promoter of the race,,, there was a screw up in scoring and he told me Jason actually won! All I could do was laugh!
In the womens class we had atvgurl here on the board, ( Jasons wife) and she did extremly well with her 300EX! She ran the race with no problems other than having to fight the mud! We really need to get her some tires! LOL!!! She started out the race doing a wheelie on the holeshot and held second place from start to finish!!!!!!
Check out my page for some of the pictures from the race, I just put a bunch of new ones on. Just click on the camera!

Old 05-03-2004, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PW,
First off, CONGRADS on taking the win at the local harescramble! Glad to hear that 1 of your quads did quite well. How did he do overall against all quads in his race? BTW, I really enjoyed your write-up, and I hope the driver of the wrecked quad is ok and not seriously injured.

Second, I just thought I'd comment that in the 2 local XC races that I've entered so far this year, I've finished very well (Round 1 -- 1st in my class and 1st overall / Round 2 -- 2nd in my class and 2nd overall)...and in doing so, I was able to beat several sport quads that normally will blow me away on a dry course. In both of these XC races, the course was quite muddy. I have discoverd that a muddy XC course plus a P650/P700 = DOMINATION over most other quads, especially sport quads. This seems to be true, especially considering that Scott Kilby took the OVERALL win on his modified P700 in the morning GNCC race earlier this year when they raced in Florida...which was a very muddy course at the time.

Third, I'm now thinking about drilling some 1/2" holes into my primary clutch face plate to lighten it and hopefully gain a little more rpms. Everyone knows that talented folks like Alltoys can lighten cvt clutches, but I've seen one other (normal?) guy named KevinM (from Kawieriders) do this face plate mod to his V-force and he said it was quite easy to do and he had no imbalance problems associated with this mod. BTW, I don't want to install the new (light weight) Dalton face plate which is designed for the V-force on my P650 b/c I want to keep the Kaw. EBC. So what do you think? Is this mod doable for a normal guy like me or is the potential benefits too small and not worth the risk of ruining a face plate?

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-03-2004, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider

I'm not sure on the over all finish, I do know they were both lapping several of the 2 wheel drives and a few of the other utilities! They run us with the junior class, womens class and C riders class! The promoter is hoping to get enuf utilities to split them up and run either a modified class or break it up 450cc on down 451cc and up. He said he has had a few people with smaller quads tell him they won't come race because they don't want to race against us and the other big bore utilities. Alex, the guy who crashed was fine, his pride was really hurt tho! LOL!!! Especially when he found out how much of a lead he had and realized he could have gone through that section of the track very very slow and still stayed way out in front!

Congradulations on your fine finishes!
On the face plate mod,,, I have done that to 2 of ours. It's very simple, just remove the face plate and drill away! I did mine in the drill press and drilled 1/2 inch holes. I'm sure it made a differance but it wasn't anything I could really feel! Hey, have you noticed with your CDI that it starts a little harder? These quads usually start right up with the stock cdi and the moduals but with the cdi they seem to have to crank a little before they start. This could cost us a holeshot if I can't get them to start right away! I'm calling DYNA tomorrow about this!

Old 05-03-2004, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider

PW

Mine starts a little harder also. Maybe a few more revs before it catches, not a big deal for me since I'm not doing any dead engine racing starts.

Old 05-03-2004, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PW,
Yeah, when its cold it is a little harder to start with the Dyna cdi (haven't ridden it much since I installed it, so I don't recall how it acts when the motor is warm). On mine, its just like Easteregg said, it takes a few more revolutions before it starts up. For other reasons, I recently changed the jetting and re-adjusted the idle mixture screws...I'll let you know if this happens to solve my starting problem. BTW, my local XC races are a live start, but the GNCC I raced in last January was a dead start...so I'd like to fix this problem before I do another GNCC race (next January).

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-03-2004, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

Congradulations! FD Racing!

I can hook you up with a Super Strong Front Racing Bumper like Mine If you need one??? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I would Like to hear what DYNA says about this one?? Maybe your battery connection wasn't tight?~lol
I have the CDI on my Quad as well and have knottiest a few little quirks and theres been a lot more tweaking then just plug and play. But hey! Put me down for the next great mod I will probablity buy it too!! ~LOL.. ~coop

www.MarylandATV.com

Prairie 700
TRX 2-something-R
V-Force- SOLD
And a bunch of other Toyz!

Old 05-04-2004, 09:34 AM
Pro Rider

Well, last night after having a long talk with Scott at Dyna I went to the shop and the first thing I did was check voltage on the battery, it was fine. I then turned on the key, gave it a little choke and hit the start button,,,, started right up!!! So I turned it off and tried it several times,,, started right away every time with no kickbacks. So now I'm puzzled,,,, why at the race did it not want to start right away like this!!!! I have a few of the DYNA cdi's so I switched them and tried one of the others,,, I tried 3 different cdi's several times, so many times my thumb was getting sore from pushing the button and it started right up and never had any of the kickbacks others are talking about! I even turned the idle up and tried it,,, bang,,, started right up with again,,, no kickbacks! HMMMM,,, I'm starting to see something here,,, I guess I will have to talk with the riders and see what they are doing during start ups,,, I know if I gave it any gas at all it would not start right up but I figured that out in the first 5 startups!
As far as what Scott at DYNA said,,, we just discussed the battery thing and carb adjustments and so on,,,,, I have to agree with him tho,,, I see alot of people complaining but nobody has sent one back so they can have them checked out. LOL!!!! I told him I would check out all the ones I have here and send back all of them if needed,,, now I have to call him again because I won't be sending anything back either! LOL!!!!

Old 05-04-2004, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider

Great job, keep those Prairies humping! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I dont want to turn this into a kickback post but I have only had two kickbacks in about 27-34 starts. Hot and cold starts. My two kickbacks came within the first 10 tries and really had me worried but now it doesnt bother me.

Anyway, congrats on your race and hope to see more success with the next.

Tim

Old 05-04-2004, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

Good to hear that you did so well, congrads.

Old 05-04-2004, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

PW,
Congrats to you and your team!

Mine seems to start harder when cold now too? It had a few kickbacks on my NY trip as well. It only did it when it was at running temp. After I turned out my airscrews a 1/2 turn it stopped and starts with a little throttle like before. I have my original battery 02 and haven't checked it yet either. Do you know if they make a larger cranking one? I think with alittle higher compression it would do it more often, so maybe a stronger battery would help?