Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Anyone have an Armadillo Skid Plate?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 11:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have an Armadillo Skid Plate?

Hey I was wondering about this skid plate made by Armidillo? It's made of space age plastic and they say it doesn't crack on high impacts or break. Supposed to let you slide over rocks and mud? Does anyone have this set up on their Prairie?
Kinda went through a real rocky trail on weekend with the wife and kid and I was tagging a few rocks here and there!!
I have to get some protection down there or some more ride height.. either one LOL!!
Thanks!!

Old 05-04-2004, 11:41 PM
Range Rover

I had one. Yeah, it did slide nice over stuff. Problem is, the mounting system at the front of the plate sucks. It doesn't wrap up far enough. Pics of the Honda models show the plate coming up 6-8" or so on the front, which would be cool. On the 650 though, it doesn't wrap up at all and ended up acting like a shovel when bashing the front end into the edge of a big mud hole trying to get out, The leading edge of the plate caught and ripped out the three front mounting bolts, then folded back and cracked. Needless to say, I was less than impressed and went back to the stockers for now.

That being said, it may work quite well for you. I'm going to get a custom skid/front bash plate made from aluminum for mine. Hope this helps.

Old 05-05-2004, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider

tyrann give All Train Charlies a call... Also Randy at freedom was making some similar, ( atleast he was I have one of Randy's on my 650 and I love it)

Old 05-05-2004, 12:31 AM
Trailblazer

I called ALL TERRAIN CHARLIES and they can not even give me any pics of one for a 650 prairie.
And I think it sounds good but I gotta see it before I buy it.
Any one on here make any custom out of aluminum?????[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 05-05-2004, 03:58 AM
Trailblazer

I just installed a ricochet skid plate today and was very impressed with the fit and build quality. I got my skid for 1/2 price just a couple of weeks ago. Apparently they have a newer design that is the same, just thicker material. Personally I'm very happy with the thickness of the old design.

Old 05-05-2004, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider

5thhorsemen has an armordillo on his machine..its almost invisable but exceptionally tuff..he can ride over stuff that i would never dream of attempting..but its a nice item to have..kinda tricky to install unless its been redisigned..

Old 05-05-2004, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider

I've had mine on for two years without a problem. I like the 'slippery' nature of it and can skim over stuff pretty easily. It also cuts down on the amount of stuff you scoop up under the motor when playing in the mud.

Peace,
Sgt_Rock

Old 05-07-2004, 08:51 AM
Trailblazer

Sorry its taken me couple days to reply.. So you guys are saying that it might have a poor design and actually sits lower on the bike and might act like a shovel in mud? I'll have to call charlies today and ask them... The article the advertise say it's supposed to act like a bash plate in the front.. Does anyone know if it uses the factory mounting points or do you have to drill and add ubolts?
Thanks for your replies!

Old 05-07-2004, 09:38 AM
Pro Rider

uses factory mounts...if its a bash plate it doesnt go far enuff up the front IMO..

Old 05-07-2004, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

Here are some Pics of my new SKids and bash plate. The skids are Richochet and the bashplate is from Aluminum Products.

I looke d all over for different skids packages, bash plates, bumpers and stuff and found there really was not a lot of choices out there.

Quick Reply: Anyone have an Armadillo Skid Plate?