Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Do you guys ever grease your swingarm bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you guys ever grease your swingarm bearings?

Paul, aka nyroc, I have been working on my P650 off and on for the past two days I have had off work. For starters the front diff isnt leaking. I pulled the plug and the oil was clean. The grease must be coming out of the cv boot just a bit. I also checked my valve clearance and to my suprise its still tight at 1398 miles. Got my toe set to .25 in. I had a time playing with that one. I also installed the left over heat wrap around both the rear pipes, I had just enough to do both.

The reason I did all this was because I had to take the plastic off to get to the struts. Based on comparing the "weak" side strut to the strong side the strut is in perfect condition. I must have a weak spring as someone mentioned in another forum. I have the Elka springs on order and should be here by the middle of next week. My motor mounts are tight, and Im looking at the rear swing arm now. Can you just remove the big nut on the frame to get to greaseing the swingarm?? I would grease the u-joint also since you are at it.

If Jason and I cant agree on helments we can agree on that. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-13-2004, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, start by taking off the big nut on one side, the big bolt on the other. Remove the lower shock bolt. Remove the breather hose and disconnect the brake cables. You may need to get a 12mm allen wrench. I used a bolt with two nuts on it to get the stub out (the same side that had the but nut). Loosen the swingarm boot clamps.

Then you just pull the swingarm out. The front has to be raised slightly to clear the frame. It is a 30 minute job. Piece of cake.

You should grease your driveshaft while you are in there. However, be forewarned, if that driveshaft slips out of the rearend, it leaves the rearend open to stuff falling in.. So, when you do it watch that you don't let dirt get in the rearend. Dont even tip it up before you stuff the driveshaft back into it. If you put the shaft back in, you can wash inside of the swingarm with a hose and be ok. I found a lot of crap in mine.

Another thing, allballsracing wants to know if a protector cup thy have for hondas will work on the 650, so they sent me a pair of them for free. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

If they work, you ought to try them out because they will seal the backside of the bearings. Add to that the marine grease for the bearings and those things will never go bad.

Old 05-14-2004, 10:47 AM
Trailblazer

does exist on the net some scheme of the swingarm ?
you know drawings or similiar ...
thanks
BudO

Old 05-14-2004, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider

I was putting on a new belt last night and noticed some play in my rear swing arm. I have 1460 miles on my '03, so I guess I can't complain too much. Let us know if those Honda "cups" work. That would be awesome!

Old 05-20-2004, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider

Oops, never mind.

The honda cups didn't quite fit. See my other post.