Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Prairie 700 tire question

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 07:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prairie 700 tire question

I have read all the threads on several forums, talked with several dealers and the kawi manufacturer, all of which give me conflicting info on a couple different subjects. I finally joined this forum with the hope I can go directly to the consumer and get the real story. Are the 04 prairie 700 wheels steel or aluminum? What truely is the biggest tire I can put on this rig without any rubbing issues on the factory wheels. It is completely stock and I would kinda like to keep it this way for now. I live in New England and have all types of riding conditions, I like to ride agressively but also like to play in the mud and yes I know there is not one tire that will do it all, but there has got to be something to best fit the bill so to speak. I would like some additional ground clearance because we all know its not that great, but I still want to be able to burn around. And lastly, I can't believe anyone has complained about the 4 wheel drive accuator. The service manual says not to put it in 4x4 while moving yet it won't go in unless you are moving. This is the biggest pet peeve I have about this machine. It takes like 4 or 5 seconds to shift into 4x4. Its a joke that you have to shift to 4x4 well before you get into a tough situation. I personally sometimes like to see how far I can go in 2x4 before I have to shift to 4x4. I don't plan on it with this sled. Please someone help me with my tire dilema. I been studying this for a month.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 05-25-2004, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

The rims are aluminum from the factory. I would recommend for your situation, 27" Maxxis MudBugs. These are actually lighter than the 26" plus you gain ground clearance. I don't know if you can fit 28" under that beast. There will be a slight power loss however, mostly on the top end, but that's to be expected from a good mud tire. The treads are almost sideways, allowing for good "slideability" on hardpack and trails.

Old 05-25-2004, 09:43 PM
Trailblazer

you can fit 28"

Old 05-26-2004, 09:48 AM
Pro Rider

these guy's are right, on the info they provided... if you run a really wide tire, with sidewall lugs, like an Outlaw, you will need either a 1" spacer, or a wheel, like the C series, with a 1" wider offset, as the inner lugs will rub the gas tank shield... I run 28" X 8" Mudzilla's, for mud racing, & they fit with no problems...

If you want to keep your sporty ride, I recommend going no taller than 26" tires... I ran for a year & a half with a set of 26" Mudrunners, mounted to the "stock aluminum" wheels, & was unbeaten in mud racing, & could keep up with the sport quads, on any trail...

Good combo tires, leaning towards more mud, would be the Goodyear Mudrunners, or Maxxis Mud Bugs, already listed, as well as GBC Gators, Mud Hogs, or Dirt Devils, ITP Mud Lites, or 589's, Titan 589's, Kenda Executioners, or Bear Claws, Interco TSL's

Old 05-26-2004, 09:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the quick reply back newbeatle. It looks like the mud bugs and gators basically have the same tread pattern but the gators are heavier. I think I've got it narrowed down between the mud bugs and the mud lites. In your opinion how much of a difference in ride will there be between the two on dirt roads and on trails? Isn't it true I will only gain 1/2in more ground clearance with a 26in tire? Do you think that will really be enough height or with this size you should just go wide open through mud and you would get farther? The problem seems to be getting belly hung. Does it take a few seconds for your prairie to shift into 4x4?

Old 05-27-2004, 09:20 AM
Trailblazer

My friend has the mudbugs and i have the gators and we ride the same and his tires are showing ALOT more wear than mine......... and yes it does take it a second to shift into 4x4.

Old 05-27-2004, 09:28 AM
Pro Rider

700... IMO, the Mud Lites will ride slightly better, & provide slightly better trail traction... but as a trade off, they are also a softer rubber compound, & wear pretty quickly, especially if you like to spin the back tires, or spend much time on the road, & they won't perform as well in the mud, as the Bugs...