Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Question changed to, "What mud tire?" P650

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question changed to, "What mud tire?" P650

Thanks for the info newbeatle. What makes you lean towards the Mudrunners so much? I haven't seen anything but Titan 589's and Mud Bugs in the goo so I can't compare Vamps nor Mudrunners. I want a good mudhole to mudhole tire with decent, doesn't need to be great, trail manners in between. I also want to enter in some local mud run contests and be a competitor. I do alot of wood/forest trails so the tires need to have strong sidewalls from trees and other potential tire stickers. A guy in my ATV club has Vamps and loves them. That's about all I have to go on with them so I'm open to anything.

Old 05-28-2004, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

Newbeatle is preaching the Mudrunners because they are simply an awesome tire. From what information I've gathered, 25" are absolutely perfect for just about anything and everything, truly. They hook up great in the mud even at this smaller size. Supposedly even better than ITP 589s and similar tires. They have flatter, less aggressive-looking lugs though so they handle and powerslide very well on the hardpack for sportier riding. The rubber is a very good and stiff compound so they have excellent wear, even with the occasional pavement riding that none of us ever do[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] The only downside I can possibly see is that you pay for that Goodyear quality. All the online ATV stores and local shops have them as very expensive tires. My suggestion would be to ask a tire/rim dealer on eBay to auction some sets of them with or without your rims of choice for a good price.

Old 05-28-2004, 09:06 AM
Pro Rider

MUD... I guess I feel qualified to talk about tires, because I own more sets than I can count off the top of my head... RED, is right about the Runners... although I prefer the 26", for your type of use, because they go from a 4 ply & 3/4 inch lugs on the 25's, to a 6 ply, & just over an inch, lugs on the 26"... My 1st few mud races, that I entered, with my ATV ( I mud raced for years with a Jeep ), I was beating 28" tires of every brand, with the 26" Mudrunners... now granted some of that was due to ( at the time ), one of the most capable stock quads, & a little rider expirience... but thr Runners were used as my only set of tires back then, & they spent much more time on the trails, than in the mud... they've even been hare scramble raced... after a year & a half of hard use, I dismounted them, & afterward, had a hard time telling which was my unused spare, & whick were the fronts ( I love to rip around in 2WD, & could see some wear on the rears, although it was barely noticable )... OK, off the soap box, for the Mudrunners...

I rarely run the same tread pattern on the front, & rear... IMO, a tread pattern that performs well on the fronts, ( allows good steering, less wandering, etc ), rarely performs the best on the rear ( providing great forward thrust )... the Vamps IMO, are a OK rear tire, however I think that mounting them on the fronts, offer me the type of trail performance that I find marginal

some tires I think work well mounted as sets ( front & rear )... Mudrunners, Mud Lites,589's, Executioners, Mud Hogs, Mudzillas, Dirt Devil XT's...

I'm sure I'll take some heat for this, but here are my favorites, in order, as far as mud performance... ( I'm sure I missed some, & other will disagree, but you get the idea )

Outlaws, EDL's, Mudzilla's, Mudrunners, Mud Hogs, Gators, Vampires, Mud Bugs, Executioners, Titan 589 MT's, Bi / Tri Claws, ITP 589's, Dirt Devil XT's, Mud Lites, Mud Sharks, Black Waters, Bear Claws... ETC...

Of those mud tires, here is how I would rate them, as far as trail / road manners...

Mud Lites, Dirt Devil XT's, Mudrunners, Mud Hogs, Mud Bugs, Vampires, Bear Claws, Executioners, Titan 589 MT's, Bi / Tri Claws, ITP 589's, Black Waters, Mud Sharks, EDL's, Outlaws, Mudzilla's,

as a note, I only have ridden on my 28" X 8" Zilla's, & I understand, that these tires ride quality improves significantly, as they get wider, as will the ride charictoristics change with width, O.D., & weight, on most tires...

Old 05-28-2004, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the detailed info. Wow, talk about information overload.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Here's the tires I am looking at now.

1. GBC MudHog
2. GBC Gator
3. SS Vamps

The Goodyears look very nice, but very expensive as compared to others. I'm getting a few quotes on them right now. Ya never know.

Out of the three listed above how do people rate them. I am assuming the MudHog is a newer version to the Gator, in a way. Maybe not. I'm going to call up GBC and ask them about both.

I wanted to get mine on order ASAP, but think I may slow down a hair and do a little more research. Thanks for the input..... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 05-28-2004, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

Actually the Mud Hog, is the closest imitation of the Mudrunner tread... they should carry all the good traights of the Mudrunner, but the lugs are skelletonized, rather than solid, as the Runners are, this should increase hard pack traction, & traction on slippery logs, etc., but they will likey wear a little faster than the Runners... I have been very happy with the GBC tires that I currently own... they typically are a good tire, at a good price...

Old 05-28-2004, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider

What do you mean by this,
but the lugs are skelletonized,
Thanks again for the info......

Old 05-28-2004, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider

They are hollowed out, for weight savings, & doing this provides more "biting" edges on the tire...

you can see pics of both the Gators, & the Mud Hogs...here...

http://www.greenball.com/atvtires/mudhog.htm

Old 05-28-2004, 11:51 AM
Pro Rider

From the MudHog and Gator, which would be the best performing tire in the mud? I believe you had the mudhog listed before the Gator in one of the above posts. Is that correct?

Old 05-28-2004, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

IMO, the mud performance on those 2 would be very close ( maybe the same ), but the trail performance would be slightly better with the Hogs, over the Gators

Old 05-28-2004, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

Will 28x10-12 fit on the front stock rims and 28x12-12 on the rear stock rims? These would be GBC MudHog tires.

Thanks...

Quick Reply: Question changed to, "What mud tire?" P650