Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Question changed to, "What mud tire?" P650

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another, what should I do next question?? P650

Here is what I have and I need some help on deciding what to get next. I want to get 27" SS Vamps but the wife isn't agreeing on that with me since my tires are just fine. I want to optimize primarily for mud.

'03 650
Black Spring w/stock belt
2" Snorkel on air intake and cvt intake
142/145 mains
.8mm shims in needles
26" Kenda Bearclaws on stock rims
2" Highlifter Lift Kit
2500 lb. Warn Winch

Now the question is what to get next. Either just accessories or actual performance mods. Help me out everyone...

Old 05-26-2004, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider

I am going to install a pink primary spring after this long weekend....it's $20 for the spring....can't go too far wrong even if it doesn't help much. Will post any acceleration differences, good or bad.

Don't know if you want to fool with this, but Montana Jack's has a receiver system for your winch that brings it up out of the mud, at the top of your grill. Does the same at the rear of your bike. Then just move the winch to either end. No more winching forward when you want to winch rearward. No diving in the mud for the cable. Pricey though.

Have you replaced your front springs yet (Progressive or Elkas)? I have the Elkas, they're great.

'03 airbox?

Twinair filter?

I would do the '02 twinair filter, front springs, primary spring, '03 airbox with twinair filter, then receiver system (since your're optimizing for mud). Also, you might look at Ricochet aluminum skid plate, A- arm/c-v joint guards.

Old 05-26-2004, 03:44 PM
Pro Rider

one thing you are missing, is alot of help on the bottom end, & a cooler running engine... this can be acomplished with the High Lifter Module, the New DG-3 module, or the new Dyna CDI... any of these will provide eye opening power, compared to the stock CDI... some will offer more benifits than others

I do like the Interco tires, so I won't try really hard to talk you out of those, but ... IMO, there are better combination tires, that will either perform better on the trails, or in the mud, or both...

some tires to give consideration to, that IMO, would be as good or better than the Vamps ... Goodyear Mudrunners, Kenda Exicutioners, GBC Mud Hogs, or Gators, Maxxis Mud Bugs... you will find some tires on this list, that will likely be cheaper than the Vamps...

other tires that would provide similar performance to the Vamps, would be Titan 589's, or ITP 589's

Tires like ITP's Mudlites, Kenda's Bear Claws, GBC's Dirt Devil XT's, Maxxis Sur Trak's, & possibly Big Horn radials, will likely work a little better on the trails, but not as well in the mud...

But if mud is your 1st concern, then you want the Interco Vamp EDL's, Maxxis Mudzilla's, or High Lifter's Outlaws...

Old 05-26-2004, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider

I was thinking of a new CDI, but figure that won't help much w/o the added traction of better tires. However I may do just that if I can't get the sweety talked into the tires. It's my anniversary present from her, so......

I've been thinking long and hard on tires and it sure is hard to decide. There are so many out there and everyone's opinions on them vary. Any of the tires you listed, newbeatle, are good. I'm not too concerned about the ride on hardpack. I was trying to get a good overall tire when I got my Bearclaws and they were good until my buddy got Titan 589's and now he can walk thru stuff I have to spin like heck to get thru. I don't care much about comprimising this time around and want to get a good MUD tire and I'll deal with the hardpack ride.

thanks for the input and keep it coming.

Old 05-26-2004, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider

Hey kawiyowee are you "cal" from CQR?

Old 05-26-2004, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

Well I got home from work and the wife says I can get the tires. Now I need to decide for sure on which ones. They will be going on my stock prairie rims. I'll get a CDI for next year.

I have heard good things about the SS Vamps and am leaning heavily towards them in the 27" size since that is what 99% of the people say is good. Not sure why over the 28", weight maybe. What's your input?

I've heard that Outlaws wear fast and are extremely rough outside of mud. Can anyone confirm these? I know they are aggressive.

Mudzilla's look nice but from what I have been reading it seems like they may look better than what they are. Any help on this?

Keep mud as the primary in mind when helping me out. Thanks....

Old 05-27-2004, 03:27 AM
Pro Rider
Default Question changed to, "What mud tire?" P650

589's by Titan NOT ITP! bar non the best for mud and hardpack IMO!

Trending Topics

Old 05-27-2004, 09:20 AM
Pro Rider

Outlaws will wear pretty good, as long as you don't do any road riding with them, & smooth out a little at medium speeds... Zilla's are what I've been using for the last 2 years... I'm still unbeaten in open class mud racing, so they IMO, must work better than you are hearing... I use the 28" X 8" all around, & I use them only for mud racing... they ride horrible... I'm told, that the wider ones smooth out more than the narrower ones, but I specifically bought the Zilla's for this size of tire... The 28" Vamp EDL's will out perform the 27" Vamps in the mud... you have the power, & clearance, to run these, if Mud is your main concern... the regular Vamps will ride smoother on trails, than any of these other tires, but from my expirience with the Goodyear Mudrunners, I'd likely buy them, before I'd buy the Vamps... ( I own a few sets of the Interco TSL's, ( 22" X 12.5" X 9", & 25" X 12.5" X 12" )but don't have any personal expirience with the Vamps, other than riding with people that have them )... I use the TSL's for pulling, & have had really good results with them...

Old 05-27-2004, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MikeRhyne
Hey kawiyowee are you "cal" from CQR?
Yes, Mike. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Hope to see you in Kremmling day after tomorrow or on the Paiute trail in Utah June 20th.

Old 05-27-2004, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

Cal, I'll see you this weekend!

Sorry to Hijack this post for a this off topic conversation.

To be on topic I have the 27 Mud Lites and they are very soft but ride very nice. I'll see how they do this weekend in a mud pit at our clubs event (CQR - Colorado Quad Runners). I don't care how long they last as long as they do a good job while I have them. I do know they work very well in the snow especially the wet sloppy stuff in one of our spring storms.

Quick Reply: Question changed to, "What mud tire?" P650