Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Major 360P breakthru(i think-need advice)

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major 360P breakthru(i think-need advice)

OK--I have main jets from 150 thru 170--tried them all, no major improvements--bought small brass washers and hand filed them(sacrificed all my fingertip skin) to .015--.020--.025-- and shimmed needle with no major improvement--went back to basics with stock 155 main and a little plastic washer i found in the kitchen junk drawer(didnt mic it but i would guess it is better than an .040) and I get awesome midrange torque, lotsa wheel spin at full throttle coming out of turns. I got creative tonight and took my snorkle completely off--and bike run like crap--flat at full throttle and cutting out when getting on and letting off throttle. Figured it was too lean so installed 170 main jet--no difference with snorkel removed---run like crap!! NOW, is this a magic snorkle from Kawi that makes bike run good??? Or is it possible that snorkel is so restrictive that with it removed even with a 170 main it is way to lean?? Is it possible that my Baby needs something bigger than a 170?? maybe a 180?? I have checked my plug with all possibilities and never a hint of running rich, not even with the 170! I also think that uinthais wants noted he drilled holes in airbox than plugged them up because bike ran worse??? Are we missing the obvious?? I know this motor has more potential than it is showing and I would think that it shouldnt run worse with the snorkel removed. Guide me oh great ones so that i may lead the others!

Old 05-27-2004, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

Your correct I did drill holes in the air box with disapointing results.. However my opinion for the decrease in pony's was because of the air flow, it was just pushing the air out, wich starved it, at least this is what I thought, there was definetly air being pushed out of those holes instead of air being sucked in. I cant imagine the snorkel being so restirctive that it would require that much of an increase in jet size, however I'm ceartianly no expert at carbs. I am curious to know of anyone elses opinion.

Did you install this plastic washer under the needle I asume?? & you gained a noticeable improvment in the midrange?

Old 05-27-2004, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Uinthas

Definitely a noticable mid range (i am not sure if thats what I want to call it though, when sporting along the rear tires break loose a lot easier on wot coming outof turns--pretty cool) And yes, I have the junk drawer plastic washer in there ( iwill try and mic to get an idea of size) I think I could live very comfortably with the 360 now, but I think we have more to be gained--seems a bit odd that I dont get any difference between 150 and 170 main jet??? although cooling fan seems to run more with 150 than it does with the bigger jets. Would you do us both a favor and pull your snorkel off(2 screws and a clamp) and see what kind of response you get? I will be camping this weekend (family thing--no quad) but I am considering taking a small drill bit to one of my jets and do some boring to see what a difference it will make before ordering any larger jets to fine tune. Cant hardly wait to see additional comments on this hair brained idea of mine from the masters (NYROC__NEW BEATLE__ALLTOYS__etc--etc.

Old 05-27-2004, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you got your Praire going pretty good. Interesting to say the least. I plugged in a 160/155 on my V-Force with forced air and it ran lean as can be. I hope to get bigger jets and try them. Its possible your getting alot of air, with the snorkle removed is the opening in the wind path? If so they your really forcing alot of air in there. Try running a hose from the airbox to the front of quad under the fender and see how it runs then.

Old 05-27-2004, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider

I like my Dynojet needles... I don't have the Dyno jet, jets in anymore, but IMO, the tunable needles, are (almost) worth the cost of the kit... I'm not a big fan of holes in the filterbox, but if you do put any in, make sure they are on the front, any holes that fall behind the carb, at the back of the filterbox, run the risk of letting air out, rather than in...

MOSES... IMO, if you had the Dial-a-jet installed, & your engine called for more gas, it would supply it, so unless there was a problem with the install, you'll likely not see much performance increase with larger jetting... however I find it curious that you are not able to get a black plug... perhaps put your 170 back in, & reinstall the Dial-a-jet, rather than drilling out a perfectly good 170... if this turns out to be OK, the those 360's are likely very lean from the factory...

the 650 / 700 is more prone to sucking warm air ( bad ) into the filter box, with out the snorkle, than an air cooled single cylinder engine, so if you are not a "mud & water" kind of guy, & the 360's snorkle is as restricted as the 650 / 700's, you may be better off, trying to get it adjusted to run without the snorkle... there are several V Force guy's that have had good luck, removing the snorkle completely ...

Old 05-27-2004, 11:58 AM
Trailblazer

Would a different (hotter) plug help?
As for jet size vs. heat.
With our kart motors we use jets and plugs both to change engine heat.
The bigger the jet size the more fuel in. This actually cools the piston. This would explain your fan running less with the bigger jet.

Old 05-27-2004, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

Thanx Newbeatle, appreciate your input. I had the same problem kinda with the Dial a jet---when I ordered, Lon advised me to get the TPI valve--which is just a slide valve that fits into air cleaner box lid---I installed as far forward on lid as possible--and never noticed any improvement even with the dial a jet, bike ran like crap with slide open--I actually have been advising against installing on the airbox lid.
What blows my mind now is that bike runs about the same with snorkle TOTALLY removed as it did with TPI slide valve open?? I mean it is completely out of synch and I am just thinking that this is so obvious---that maybe i should have picked up on it sooner. I am hoping Unithas will pull his snorkel and see if he gets the same type of poor performance--If indeed this is so-----maybe some big jets'll wake her up!!

stay tuned

Old 05-27-2004, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider

Yea I can give that a shot, I'll let ya know the results.. Measure that washer for me if you would, I wana try it out[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-27-2004, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Uinthas
I would not hesitate to try around an .040----I got technical after the plastic washer worked and bought little brass washers, they mic'd at .025, so I made a .020 and a .015 and have tried them numerously (but never tried more than 1 at a time) and never achieved the results i got with the plastic washer. I thought back last night to when my quad ran the best and it was with the plastic washer, so I put it in again last night and it worked. I will have to borrow a mic again to measure the plastic and that wont happen until next week. You may want to experiment with the needle when you pull that magical snorkel off!!!

Old 05-27-2004, 10:53 PM
Trailblazer

guys you gotta keep us posted on this i know the 360 can be fast, just gotta try everything. i want to do some mods but don't know where to start. i got a twin air filter and hmf exhaust, what else should i do??
Thanks Jason

Quick Reply: Major 360P breakthru(i think-need advice)