Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Prairie Belt Drive System vs......Others?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 09:07 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prairie Belt Drive System vs......Others?

I have 2800 mi. on my 02 650 and still on the same belt. I don't put it in low when I go slow up hills but I do take the clutch cover off and blow out the clutches(still on the bike) and make sure the rollers are turning free. I lube them with Comet CVT clutch lube, it dries completely so the belt and dirt dust doesn't stick to them. I did have to get the driven bushings replaced with oil-lite brass by a machinist. I just LOVE my Prairie! Later.

Old 06-01-2004, 03:48 PM
Trailblazer

I made my spring compressor with a 2 1/4 exhaust clamp drilled in the middle for som threaded rod,a large washer and a wing nut.works great easy and no cutting.

Old 06-01-2004, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

nyroc. i made one of your compressors. using 2" heavy wall tubing, then milled a cap to fit over top. welded them up and used a lathe to turn down the weld, make it look pretty. then i used 2" angle iron, taped to 1/2" for the bottom nut (in your plan) double nutted on top. now instead of it flopping around on the floor i just clamp it to my work bench. if you want i can get a picture for you.

147.5f/152.5r jets
.033 on needles
dynatek cdi
epi black
700p drive spring
warn 2000lb
plow
home made receiver system
bighorn's
2 dayco belt's comming

Old 06-01-2004, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

Red Goblin , I will give you my take on the belt systems on these atv's, I have owned 3 kawasaki's and 2 yamaha's over the past few years and several other brand machines , the kawasaki has the best motor but there belt system is a joke !!!! The kawasaki system is meant to wear, it has parts that are designed to wear out, I have never had to put a belt on a Yamaha and never had a Kawasaki I did not have to out a belt on , I ride hard, the Kawasaki system performs great as long as you change springs from the factory and keep the belt tight , the yamaha has a constant tension belt, it is never loose , the yamaha has a much narrower system and does not put off as much heat, yamaha has true engine braking , the kawaski uses a electric motor with a fork that presses the drive pulley to the belt to keep tension and at certain speeds it will release then grab ( back and forth).Just go to the yamaha forum and look and belt issues and then in this forum and look at belt and KEBC issues. If the prairie had the yamaha system it would be awesome , there is no need to "tune" an ATV with this much power. We have a 450 Kodiak now with 27" gators , which is one of the heavier tires on the market , at the belt still preforms great. Just look at all the post in the topic, everyone says all you need to do is change and adjust different stuff , I prefer when I buy a $ 6500 - $ 7000 atv to ride the crap out of it , I don't won't to ride a little while and the take the cover off and fix or change stuff.

Old 06-02-2004, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

So why did you keep your Prairie if you were that disgusted with the CVT? I have no offense to what you are saying at all, I need to get as much insight as possible before I actually buy one of these things, but I think you'll find a lot of the guys here consider your post as "hostile"[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-02-2004, 03:43 AM
Range Rover

How about a 6'' slipper clutch with a handle on the left bar to delay it and still plant corn with it and stick with me on a rev limiter launch would that satisfy you J.H.

Old 06-02-2004, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

Say what?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 06-04-2004, 05:01 AM
Pro Rider

RedGoblin , every ATV has its downfall ,to me it the the belt system on the prairie , I love my prairie I just wish they had a belt drive with constant tension on the belt ,with a clutch , you never hear of Yamaha or Suzuki belt problems like you do with Kawasaki's but the Praire is by far the "most fun" 4x4 atv on the market , there is nothing even close to the smile this thing will put on your face when you are riping around the wood nailing on the throttle,

Old 06-04-2004, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider

I think part of the reason its so fun is because of the clutchs, the only reason there are more problems with Kawi's belt system VS other is because people don't know how to take care of their CVT. The dealer's don't help either.

Old 06-05-2004, 03:53 AM
Pro Rider

Another reason is that they don't have the HP thrashing the belt, like the Kawi.