Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Bypass neutral/start switch on Bayou?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 02:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bypass neutral/start switch on Bayou?

There's gotta be an easy way to eliminate the stupid nuetral safety switch, or whatever it's called.
I'd like to make it so my wifes 250 Bayou will start in gear, like the "Yamahas do.

I'd like to hear from anyone who's done this.

Old 06-02-2004, 08:47 AM
Range Rover

find the leads that come off the switch. cut them, with room to spare so you can connect them back up if this messes the bike up. with the leads cut, try to start the bike in gear. If it does, cao and secure the wires. If it doesnt, connect the wires and see if it starts in gear. If it does put a crimp on it and secure the wires. If it doesnt, connect the wires as they were before you started messin with em and live with it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-02-2004, 09:21 AM
Pro Rider

ALASKA's got the ticket... on the 300 Prairie, the relay is near the battery, & requires connecting the wires together... I don't know if the autoclutch Bayou, would use the same switch, as the CVT equiped Prairie, but as ALASKA indicated, it is likely a 2 wire relay, normally open, or normally closed

Old 06-02-2004, 09:39 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys, I figured it out, just after I made the post. It has a 4 pin starter relay. I just had to connect 2 of the wires together. Everything works great!

Old 09-05-2013, 08:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

sorry to bring up an old post, but any chance of getting a pic of the relay and the wires you had to connect?

Old 03-15-2016, 12:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help please

Originally Posted by Z28ROC
Thanks guys, I figured it out, just after I made the post. It has a 4 pin starter relay. I just had to connect 2 of the wires together. Everything works great!
I need help figuring this out of you can I have a 1993 kawasaki bayou 300 4wd

The following users liked this post:
ptp4851 (07-06-2023)
Old 03-16-2016, 03:31 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Why would anyone want to do this? More strain on the starter motor, and liable to lurch forward as soon as it fires up.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I did it on my praire 300 for convience when the motor is warm. I do a lot of yard work on my acreage with my machine and always having to shift out of gear and back in gear for each and every stop, began to show wear on the shifter pins. So by making this change I could stop and leave it in gear, then be able to restart and continue with out shifting. When cold, I would never use this feature as the fast idle would kick in and it could be an issue. Whenever I put away the machine it would always be in neutral for the next cold start. The feature was only used when working and continuous operation. Common sense must be used when this feature is enabled, unfortunately many people lack this vital trait so lawyers have to make these decisions for them by having these so called "safety" features put on when manufactured. "safety" features on any piece of equipment are the manufacturers way of saying you can't think for yourself so we have to do it for you. Unfortunately for many it is a necessity to have them on there.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Has anyone got a picture of the wires to cut so you can bypass the neutral safety switch

Old 04-29-2018, 02:20 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

I repeat "Why would anyone want to do this? More strain on the starter motor, and liable to lurch forward as soon as it fires up."

Unless you are terminally stupid, Kimcos argument only applies if you are in 1st or reverse, because Kawasaki clutches won't stand setting off from standstill in higher gears, for long. Is it that much trouble to change from reverse or first into neutral?

Quick Reply: Bypass neutral/start switch on Bayou?