Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

P760 is alive

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P760 is alive

Well, it’s finally running. The break-in is over, oil and filter changed – now it time to get out on it! My builder suffered a few serious, and self-induced, set backs that led me to the edge. But now that it running, all is forgiven.

As I get some more miles on it and some timed runs, I’ll share with y’all. Seat of the pants testing is a big “Hell Yeah!” With ported heads, cams, and big bore kit the world flies by much quicker.

My Dial-a-jets are working great now that the snorkels are installed (another miss by the builder). I put vacuum caps on the bowl drains and eliminated that drain piping because I was having a slight leak from the dial-a-jet install. I didn’t want to crank the dial-a-jet stems in to the bowls any tighter and the leak is trivial, so this seems to be an okay answer..

Hopefully I’ll have a good month with it and it proves reliable. If so, it’s time to catch up with MarylandATV and his crew for a ride ;-)

Peace,
Sgt_Rock

Old 06-01-2004, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider
Default P760 is alive

765? Is that an early version of the fst kit?

Old 06-01-2004, 08:44 AM
Pro Rider
Default P760 is alive

Z... that is the "newer version of the 750 cc kit, that was available for the 650's... the ones for the 700's are now 800 cc...

ROCK... glad you finally got her running...

Old 06-01-2004, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider
Default P760 is alive

It is the 766cc kit. It's the latest kit for the P650.

Thanks NB, I'm relieved to say the least. Last night I put a fuel filter in and did some clean up work. The winch still needs to be hooked back up and I'm spooling off the cable and going to rope on it and changing out the roller fairlead to an alum. plate. A few other little things that I've been wanting to do.

Has anyone tried running K&N Cone style filters on the carbs? My thought is that I'll replace the velocity stacks with a small K&N style cone filter, eliminate the stock style filter element, and open the air box lid top up in a big way. I want to have the ability to put on my unmolested air box cover if I'm getting into deep water, but it is really rare that we get into anything that deep. I'll add the carbon fiber lid to the unit from there. I'm going to rig up a different crankcase breather set up as well. I'm not getting a lot of blow by, but it's enough to put a film of oil in the air box.

Peace,
Sgt_Rock

Old 06-01-2004, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider
Default P760 is alive

ROCK... check the CFM rating of those filters, before you purchase... I was initially using a pair of universal K&N's ( on my induction system ), but switched them out, when I installed my BBK, as they were only rated at 325 CFM each... I used a piece of soft copper ( flexible ) 3' X 1/2" water line, to route my Crank case vent to up by the handle bar, it works great, as I was able to bend it to fit, & don't have to worry about heat issues, mine fits under a recessed lip on the induction system, but I'll be looking for a filter to place on the end...

Old 06-01-2004, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default P760 is alive

ok, how much did it cost to have the kit installed? I am just curios as to how much the labor was for the machine work.

Old 06-01-2004, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default P760 is alive

ON my project, Boring the jugs, fitting the sleaves, boreing the sleaves to fit the pistons, planing my heads, then flowing them on a flow bench, cost me around $1000.00, plus the cost of the kit... if you are going to do a project like this, I highly recommend that you purchase the "full kit, & use Mickey's cams...

Old 06-01-2004, 12:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default P760 is alive

Machine work was about the same for me. Mine was a bit higher because Mickey had to fix the stuff the builder screwed up. With gaskets, the full kit, machine work, and everything else plan on $2,500 to $3,000 total.

Peace,
Sgt_Rock

Old 06-01-2004, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default P760 is alive

NB,

What filters are you using now? Are you back to the stock filter style or did you go with a different brand?

Good idea on the breather, I'm going to look at that but may bring it up on the rear left side somewhere. I wonder if one of the generic car valve cover breathers would work instead of the filter?

Peace,
Sgt_Rock

Old 06-01-2004, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider
Default P760 is alive

ROCK... I think one guy ( on Kawi riders ), fitted his crank case vent into his exhaust for a scavenging effect, & claimed a performance gain ??? I'm sure a PVC valve, or any of that type of automotive breathers would work fine, that is likely what I'll use ( just something to keep the weather & bugs out )

I'm currently using a pair of Twin Air filters that are ( each ) sized for the 700 Polaris... I know I have enough filter capacity now

I think I sent you some pics earlier of my system... when I installed the BBK, I just took out the reducers ( that fit the K&N universal filters ( 1 - 1/4" X 2, I believe ), & opened it up to the 1 - 3/4" I believe ( X 2 ), Polaris filters )

Quick Reply: P760 is alive